“Beautiful but busy”
Review of Dingmans Falls

Dingmans Falls
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We visited Dingman's Falls on July 5th and really enjoyed the walk to the falls, and the falls themselves. The day we visited was a Saturday and the area was very busy - we actually stopped by twice in the early afternoon and could not find parking. We came by a third time around 4:30 and were able to find a spot. The ranger said that from 11-4:30 or so is the busiest time, so I'd suggest either a morning or evening visit (they are open from 6am-10pm).

The falls - Silverthread and Dingman's Fall - were absolutely beautiful and were very easy to hike to. The entire boardwalk to the falls was flat, so there was no climbing to do unless you want to climb the 117 feet to the overlook above Dingman's Fall.

3  Thank sderoos

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Dingmans Falls is easily located at the end of a well marked park road that heads west from US 209 just south of the turn for the Dingmans Ferry Bridge over the Delaware River to New Jersey. Besides the famous and beautiful Dingmans Falls at the end of a well maintained 0.4 mi (0.65k) trail (most of it is a boardwalk with a short section of level gravel), there is the elegant Silverthread Falls along the same boardwalk even closer to the trailhead, less than 0.1 mi (0.16k) out, and a Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area visitor center. The visitor center was staffed by very helpful and friendly rangers and consists of a few displays, mostly regarding the fauna of the area; a bookstore that includes a few souvenirs and a park film (unfortunately, the projector was not working during our visit). The hike to the base of both falls is very easy and through a beautiful, shady hemlock and rhododendron forest. The falls were flowing well during our visit in the early summer as the week before had been quite rainy; I can imagine that during dry periods, Silverthread Falls may slow to a trickle. Near the end of the boardwalk at the base of Dingmans Falls, there is a staircase that takes one to the top of the falls. It is a bit of climb and the view from the top is nothing special so one does not miss much by skipping the climb. However, the best view of Dingmans Falls is not from the end of the boardwalk at the base of the falls but rather from the beginning of the staircase to the top so I would recommend climbing the stairs the short distance up to the first open view of the falls. There is ample parking in the lot shared by the visitor center and trailhead but the only restroom facilities in the area are clean pit toilets next to the parking lot near the trailhead.

5  Thank Steve1362
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is the one and only falls that I have seen that everyone would be able to enjoy! The boardwalk is in great shape and you are able to look around and not worry about tripping! It was wonderful to hear all the birds singing, and see the lush forest. I have never seen so many rhododendrons in all my life! We'll worth the visit!

3  Thank FoodObsessions
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The walk to see the falls is very easy. They have a boardwalk in which a wheelchair/elderly person could easily maneuver. The visitors station is a little something for kids to do. They have skulls, pelts, and a hands on table. Both falls are pretty. The second is bigger, taller, more beautiful. I believe an hour would be sufficient to see everything.

1  Thank Storm886
Reviewed 14 June 2014

What a pretty off-the-beaten-path little sanctuary. When you leave Johnny Bee Rd, you drive onto a narrow, tree-lined lane full of natural mystery. I saw a number of deer along the lane, one with a very young fawn. Drive carefully; the speed limit is 15 mph.

The parking lot is very close to the trail. There is a park service building on site, but I saw no one "official looking."

I set out along the wood-plank path, snapping photos all along the way. It was early evening, and I could hear the pleasant sound of rushing water from the moment I left my car. Soon I could see Dingmans Creek and the rocky, plant-covered shores. I could hear dozens of birds high in the trees.

The path is easy walking and wide. You can stroll leisurely or hike with enthusiasm as you choose. You will find wood-bench seating in several locations to just sit and enjoy the scenery. Although I didn't see any picnic tables or places specifically for eating, you could easily fashion yourself a place to enjoy a meal or snack.

Because the area is thickly forested, it is shadowy and dark, I would imagine most of the time. The wood planks stay wet (and can be slick) as do the benches. Water drips from the trees and there's a mist when you're close to the falls.

One review mentions the bathroom facilities. They are indeed primitive, but one would expect that in a pristine area with no plumbing. The facilities were clean; there's just not a flushing toilet and running water at a sink. It's more of a permanent porta-potty with hand sanitizer. Being a hiker and camper, I found it acceptable.

6  Thank Kelley D