“Jacuzzis, Breakfast and History”
Review of Hargrave House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doylestown
Hargrave House
Ranked #2 of 4 Doylestown B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Jacuzzis, Breakfast and History”
Reviewed 28 May 2011

The Philadelphia area is often neglected as a tourist destination as it is somewhat dwarfed by its Northeast neighbors of New York City and Washington. But the city itself is worth a lengthy visit (Just watch out for where in town you go, especially at night) and the suburbs can be terrific. Among the suburbs, the Main Line ( Bryn Mawr, Villanova etc.) and Bucks County are probably the best. Most folks looking for a cool inn in Bucks County head for New Hope and over on the Jersey side to New Hope's sister city, Lambertville, and many people prefer an inn in the country-side. But, if, like me, you find New Hope (Or as we like to say, "No Hope") to be a little too contrived, touristy and precious and you enjoy staying in a fine old Pennsylvania town you will pleased to find the old historical city of Doylestown and the splendid bed and breakfast inn, "The Old Hargrave House". The rooms are large and elegant and feature jacuzzis, fireplaces, huge TVs, Wi-Fi and an in-room Keurig coffee-maker that should come with a hundred page instructional manual.
The place is clean and the public areas are filled with historical memorabilia, befitting a house that dates back to 1813. The innkeepers are bright and gracious people who will really do whatever they can to personalize your stay. Most of the rooms (Suites really) overlook the Doylestown Historical Society Park. A room upstairs can be converted into a small conference area. The town itself is alive with restaurants, bookstores, shops and a fine old movie theater showing artsy films. The country club is a five minute walk and hiking and biking (Peace Valley State Park and other nature trails) are an easy drive. The Inn is in the heart of Doylestown.
Slight quibbles: The only public space is a small sitting room/office. I always like an inn to have a nice living room, preferably with a small carafe of wine in the cupboard. Plus, a living room would add to the historical theme and gracious tone if furnished correctly. Speaking of furnishings, the brochure shows a couple of suites that are furnished in a nice quasi-historical style in keeping with the theme of the Inn. But my room was just too modern for that kind of place. The front of the Hargrave House is great, but the siding along the side looks more like 2003 than 1813. Parking is on-site, which is nice, but your GPS or MapQuest will take you to the front entrance and as for the parking area, "you can't get there from here". Essentially, you have to drive around the block to find the parking lot, which in narrow-streeted, "one-way" Doylestown is not as easy as it sounds.There should be some kind of directions to the parking area posted at the front door or given when you reserve your room. The breakfast is fine (We had a choice of bacon and eggs or french toast), but maybe at $195 a night, fresh orange juice instead of good old Tropicana would have been a nice touch. As I said, though, these are small quibbles and fine innkeepers in a great location.

Room Tip: Courtyard view.Traditional furnishing.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank TommyBoy94

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Aventura, Florida
Reviewed 28 February 2011

This was my first trip to Doylestown & I found that the majority of the hotels available were B & B's. This intimidated me a bit as I'm a self-admitted hotel snob staying exclusively in 4 & 5-star properties. Not only was I pleasantly surprised by the charm, cleanliness, comfort & service I received, but I elected to extend my stay at this property instead of a hotel near PHL airport when a snowstorm cancelled all flights back to South Florida.

Not having a car, I expected to be cabbing it around the city. I soon came to learn that they don't really have cabs in Doylestown. Fortunately, the Innkeeper (Lorna) was nice enough to transport me in her car including offering to pick me up following offsite meetings. She even provided me some hair mousse when I realized I had forgotten my gel at home.

The complimentary cooked-to-order breakfasts were a delicious & a delightful way to start the day. Waiting for me each morning in the cozy dining area was a bowl of sliced strawberries, blueberries & other assorted fruits. I had my choice of toasted breads (including english muffins - my choice) to complement my perfectly scrambled eggs, sausage links & bacon. Top it off with some OJ & water & I was treated with a breakfast I wish I could receive every day.

I stayed in the Doylestown Suite which was quite spacious including a standing shower in the bathroom & an oversized jacuzzi tub in the bedroom. Nice touches were a fireplace that could be switched on/off & a desk for working or planning your day. The bed was quite comfortable as well.

If your travels take you to Doylestown, I highly recommend the Hargrave House which is perfectly located on Main Street & surrounded by restaurants & bars. You won't be disappointed & I swear to this being a legitimate review from an extremely pleased first-time guest.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank miamiexec
Verona, NJ
Reviewed 30 December 2010

My husband and I enjoyed a Friday and Saturday Night Stay at the Old Hargrave during the first weekend in November. Our stay was excellent from start to finish. Lorna made us feel right at home. She was very hospitable and answered all of our questions as it was our first time in Doylestown. I did some research and planned a weekend away and was able to take advantage of what the area has to offer. We were centrally located to everything which allowed us to walk through town on First Friday and walk to local restaurants. The room was newly renovated, spacious, and clean. I would definitely stay there again.

Chanelle from NJ

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chanellemonique
Darnestown MD
Reviewed 1 October 2010

My wife and I were very pleased with our experience at Hargrave House. Lorna, the inkeeper, was extremely helpful and personable, and helped make our stay delightful. The location in the very heart of Doylestown is ideal, and we found it a great base of operations for seeing the local area. I have read the negative review from August of 2010, and am happy to say that our experience couldn't have been more different. The service was great, our breakfast excellent each day.

My wife is from the Doylestown area and we are generally familiar with all of the lodging options available there. When we return, we will definitely use Hargrave House again- won't even consider anything else.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LRCDarnestownMD
sykesville
Reviewed 2 September 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hargrave House with friends this past week-end. When I went to write my review I was so puzzled by the negative review that was just written August 16, 2010 but then I saw where the person said she stayed February 2009.......18 months ago. Our experience was so totally different! Lorna went to a great deal of effort to welcome us as soon as we arrived on the parking lot. She showed us around the B and B and how the TV, fireplace, coffeepot and hot tub worked in our lovely large rooms. A nice addition to the room was a wet bar and refrigerator. The bed was so comfortable that it was hard to get up in the morning. The breakfast was not only made to order for each of us but we were asked the night before what time we wanted to be served in the morning. This is a wonderful place to stay and discover Doylestown as many restaurants and museums are within walking distance! Lorna, thank you for the Ricola throat drops that you put on our tray with the snacks and wine glasses. That was a nice touch that you recognized that I was not feeling well when we arrived. The sign of a true innkeeper!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carolebride
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We were thoroughly impressed with this inn in the heart of Doylestown. The bed was so comfortable and the sheets were so soft, we had the best night's sleep of our entire vacation! The deep, jetted tub was relaxing and deceivingly well-placed, since my husband could watch baseball on the flat screen TV while soaking in it. The location is perfect, since all the shops and restaurants in Doylestown are easily accessible on foot. Lorna is a perfect hostess, and the breakfast of fresh fruit, eggs and bacon was a lovely conclusion to our too-short stay. We would highly recommend this inn as a great place for a weekend getaway!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I stayed at the Hargrave house this past week while in Doylestown on a business trip. I had a great room, very large, complete with fireplace and hot tub although I did not have occasion to use either. There is a great wet bar with a coffer maker and snacks which come in handy. The sheets on the bed were fabulous - felt like sleeping in a big bowl of whipped cream.

I checked out very early - 6:30 am but Lorna the innkeeper was nice enough to get there around 6:00 am and had a lovely breakfast all ready for me.

I highly recommend this B&B for your next trip to Doylestown.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mstella140
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doylestown
Homewood Suites by Hilton Doylestown
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 2 in Montgomeryville
Rodeway Inn & Suites - New Hope

Been to Hargrave House? Share your experiences!