“Lorna was an exceptional innkeeper”
Review of Hargrave House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Doylestown
Hargrave House
Ranked #1 of 4 Doylestown B&B and Inns
sykesville
“Lorna was an exceptional innkeeper”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hargrave House with friends this past week-end. When I went to write my review I was so puzzled by the negative review that was just written August 16, 2010 but then I saw where the person said she stayed February 2009.......18 months ago. Our experience was so totally different! Lorna went to a great deal of effort to welcome us as soon as we arrived on the parking lot. She showed us around the B and B and how the TV, fireplace, coffeepot and hot tub worked in our lovely large rooms. A nice addition to the room was a wet bar and refrigerator. The bed was so comfortable that it was hard to get up in the morning. The breakfast was not only made to order for each of us but we were asked the night before what time we wanted to be served in the morning. This is a wonderful place to stay and discover Doylestown as many restaurants and museums are within walking distance! Lorna, thank you for the Ricola throat drops that you put on our tray with the snacks and wine glasses. That was a nice touch that you recognized that I was not feeling well when we arrived. The sign of a true innkeeper!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carolebride

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We were thoroughly impressed with this inn in the heart of Doylestown. The bed was so comfortable and the sheets were so soft, we had the best night's sleep of our entire vacation! The deep, jetted tub was relaxing and deceivingly well-placed, since my husband could watch baseball on the flat screen TV while soaking in it. The location is perfect, since all the shops and restaurants in Doylestown are easily accessible on foot. Lorna is a perfect hostess, and the breakfast of fresh fruit, eggs and bacon was a lovely conclusion to our too-short stay. We would highly recommend this inn as a great place for a weekend getaway!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I stayed at the Hargrave house this past week while in Doylestown on a business trip. I had a great room, very large, complete with fireplace and hot tub although I did not have occasion to use either. There is a great wet bar with a coffer maker and snacks which come in handy. The sheets on the bed were fabulous - felt like sleeping in a big bowl of whipped cream.

I checked out very early - 6:30 am but Lorna the innkeeper was nice enough to get there around 6:00 am and had a lovely breakfast all ready for me.

I highly recommend this B&B for your next trip to Doylestown.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mstella140
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My husband and I went to this inn for valentines day. I was very excited because we had been to Doylestown before to go to this Bar that we love that has great steaks and even better beer! Last time we went we stayed far from the Bar and had to be very careful what we had to drink so that one of us could drive back. This time the Inn was right around the corner and we could walk.

Well...I am glad that I had a few cocktails before getting back to the room. If not I would not have found this so funny. The firepalce that they advertise is a weird gas stove with little strips of paper blowing to create the illusion of fire (lame). Then the Hot tub in our room that I was very excited about only had enough hot water to fill about a quarter of the way...then it ran out and we could only get the cold to work. So much for a romantic evening! I do have to say that i love their pillows. They are some of the best I have ever slept on! But other then that...the place was awful. No one was around to help us with anything and we went down to breakfast at 8am and could not find anyone so we just decided to leave.

All in all I am glad that I went...but not so much because this place was good...because I had an extreamly romantic walk in the rain back to the room with my husband, and we now have a really funny story to tell our friends about the room.

Hope this help you! But I would not go back...

Amanda

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mandaspike
HargraveHouse, Manager at Hargrave House, responded to this review, 25 August 2010
Person posting this review did not stay at Hargrave House within the past two years.
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 3 January 2009

The Old Hargrave House just opened after Christmas 2008. It was the 1814 House, but now it's under new management and much more than the name has changed: new furniture, new innkeeper etc.

It is smack in the middle of Doylestown, very conveniently located to all the restaurants etc. I stayed for a few days by myself and then my significant other joined me. Lorna, the innkeeper, was so warm and welcoming. She helped me get situated very quickly, showed me the inn and gave me a glass of sherry to help warm me up. Breakfasts were nicely laid out and delicious. The B & B is impeccably clean. The room I stayed in had an electric fireplace with a fan to warm up the room (you can switch this on and off) and a whirlpool bathtub. The suite was large and very quiet (#6),

The inn staff and management were very accomodating. Since they just opened up, they are still working on improving some things such as more books on shelves and other small details of a B & B. Any absences didn't bother me, I enjoyed my stay a lot and so did my significant other.

• Liked — quiet, large suites w fireplace, whirlpool, clean, location
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Oliveseeker
NYC
Reviewed 5 October 2007

Everything about this B&B was wonderful. My room was the Mead Suite. It has a high four-poster canopy bed, a chaise longue in front of the fireplace, a jacuzzi, and a handy sink and fridge in the room. The bedroom and bathroom were immaculately clean. High-speed wifi is free.

Jeannine, the proprietor, is so nice. I arrived late, so over the cell phone she showed me how to open the lock box and retrieve my room key. Homemade cookies and muffins were available 24/7 in the second room pantry. The breakfast was delicious. It was served in the ground floor tearoom, and you can select from a full menu. The cook cooked breakfast to order every morning. I liked this plan much more than standard B&Bs, where you can choose only between option #1 and option #2. The cook was also very accommodating to me. When she heard that I needed to leave at 8 am on my second day, she came early and cooked me breakfast.

The inn is located very centrally in the cute town of Doylestown. Just up the street are an independent used CD shop and an independent bookstore. There are also some wonderful restaurants in Doylestown, especially Honey.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Service, location, room amenities
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank NycLibrarian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doylestown
Homewood Suites by Hilton Doylestown
Rodeway Inn & Suites - New Hope
The Lambertville House Hotel
The Lambertville House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lambertville

Been to Hargrave House? Share your experiences!