“You can't put a price on this kind of service”
Review of Hargrave House

Hargrave House
Ranked #1 of 4 Doylestown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 February 2011

This was my first trip to Doylestown & I found that the majority of the hotels available were B & B's. This intimidated me a bit as I'm a self-admitted hotel snob staying exclusively in 4 & 5-star properties. Not only was I pleasantly surprised by the charm, cleanliness, comfort & service I received, but I elected to extend my stay at this property instead of a hotel near PHL airport when a snowstorm cancelled all flights back to South Florida.

Not having a car, I expected to be cabbing it around the city. I soon came to learn that they don't really have cabs in Doylestown. Fortunately, the Innkeeper (Lorna) was nice enough to transport me in her car including offering to pick me up following offsite meetings. She even provided me some hair mousse when I realized I had forgotten my gel at home.

The complimentary cooked-to-order breakfasts were a delicious & a delightful way to start the day. Waiting for me each morning in the cozy dining area was a bowl of sliced strawberries, blueberries & other assorted fruits. I had my choice of toasted breads (including english muffins - my choice) to complement my perfectly scrambled eggs, sausage links & bacon. Top it off with some OJ & water & I was treated with a breakfast I wish I could receive every day.

I stayed in the Doylestown Suite which was quite spacious including a standing shower in the bathroom & an oversized jacuzzi tub in the bedroom. Nice touches were a fireplace that could be switched on/off & a desk for working or planning your day. The bed was quite comfortable as well.

If your travels take you to Doylestown, I highly recommend the Hargrave House which is perfectly located on Main Street & surrounded by restaurants & bars. You won't be disappointed & I swear to this being a legitimate review from an extremely pleased first-time guest.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank miamiexec

Reviewed 30 December 2010

My husband and I enjoyed a Friday and Saturday Night Stay at the Old Hargrave during the first weekend in November. Our stay was excellent from start to finish. Lorna made us feel right at home. She was very hospitable and answered all of our questions as it was our first time in Doylestown. I did some research and planned a weekend away and was able to take advantage of what the area has to offer. We were centrally located to everything which allowed us to walk through town on First Friday and walk to local restaurants. The room was newly renovated, spacious, and clean. I would definitely stay there again.

Chanelle from NJ

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chanellemonique
Reviewed 1 October 2010

My wife and I were very pleased with our experience at Hargrave House. Lorna, the inkeeper, was extremely helpful and personable, and helped make our stay delightful. The location in the very heart of Doylestown is ideal, and we found it a great base of operations for seeing the local area. I have read the negative review from August of 2010, and am happy to say that our experience couldn't have been more different. The service was great, our breakfast excellent each day.

My wife is from the Doylestown area and we are generally familiar with all of the lodging options available there. When we return, we will definitely use Hargrave House again- won't even consider anything else.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LRCDarnestownMD
Reviewed 2 September 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hargrave House with friends this past week-end. When I went to write my review I was so puzzled by the negative review that was just written August 16, 2010 but then I saw where the person said she stayed February 2009.......18 months ago. Our experience was so totally different! Lorna went to a great deal of effort to welcome us as soon as we arrived on the parking lot. She showed us around the B and B and how the TV, fireplace, coffeepot and hot tub worked in our lovely large rooms. A nice addition to the room was a wet bar and refrigerator. The bed was so comfortable that it was hard to get up in the morning. The breakfast was not only made to order for each of us but we were asked the night before what time we wanted to be served in the morning. This is a wonderful place to stay and discover Doylestown as many restaurants and museums are within walking distance! Lorna, thank you for the Ricola throat drops that you put on our tray with the snacks and wine glasses. That was a nice touch that you recognized that I was not feeling well when we arrived. The sign of a true innkeeper!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carolebride
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We were thoroughly impressed with this inn in the heart of Doylestown. The bed was so comfortable and the sheets were so soft, we had the best night's sleep of our entire vacation! The deep, jetted tub was relaxing and deceivingly well-placed, since my husband could watch baseball on the flat screen TV while soaking in it. The location is perfect, since all the shops and restaurants in Doylestown are easily accessible on foot. Lorna is a perfect hostess, and the breakfast of fresh fruit, eggs and bacon was a lovely conclusion to our too-short stay. We would highly recommend this inn as a great place for a weekend getaway!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I stayed at the Hargrave house this past week while in Doylestown on a business trip. I had a great room, very large, complete with fireplace and hot tub although I did not have occasion to use either. There is a great wet bar with a coffer maker and snacks which come in handy. The sheets on the bed were fabulous - felt like sleeping in a big bowl of whipped cream.

I checked out very early - 6:30 am but Lorna the innkeeper was nice enough to get there around 6:00 am and had a lovely breakfast all ready for me.

I highly recommend this B&B for your next trip to Doylestown.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank mstella140
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My husband and I went to this inn for valentines day. I was very excited because we had been to Doylestown before to go to this Bar that we love that has great steaks and even better beer! Last time we went we stayed far from the Bar and had to be very careful what we had to drink so that one of us could drive back. This time the Inn was right around the corner and we could walk.

Well...I am glad that I had a few cocktails before getting back to the room. If not I would not have found this so funny. The firepalce that they advertise is a weird gas stove with little strips of paper blowing to create the illusion of fire (lame). Then the Hot tub in our room that I was very excited about only had enough hot water to fill about a quarter of the way...then it ran out and we could only get the cold to work. So much for a romantic evening! I do have to say that i love their pillows. They are some of the best I have ever slept on! But other then that...the place was awful. No one was around to help us with anything and we went down to breakfast at 8am and could not find anyone so we just decided to leave.

All in all I am glad that I went...but not so much because this place was good...because I had an extreamly romantic walk in the rain back to the room with my husband, and we now have a really funny story to tell our friends about the room.

Hope this help you! But I would not go back...

Amanda

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mandaspike
HargraveHouse, Manager at Hargrave House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2010

Person posting this review did not stay at Hargrave House within the past two years.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Doylestown
3 mi away
#2 of 5 in North Wales
The Washington House Hotel
The Washington House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Sellersville

Been to Hargrave House? Share your experiences!