“Keeps getting better but Tomato Pie is still the top reason to visit!”

Altomonte's Italian Market
Ranked #2 of 144 Restaurants in Doylestown
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We decided to branch out from the tomato pie this trip and pick up a few extra things. Salads and desserts were all delicious. Great place to pick up lunch on a Sunday afternoon.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Last year we moved from Bucks County / Philly to Orlando; a place sorely lacking in GREAT Italian food and more importantly good quality Italian ingredients.

A few weeks back we flew home for the first time since the move and my brother ( probably my sister in law) had the good sense to go to Altomonte's for food for our visit.

Assorted hoagies on good, crunchy, seeded rolls (something lacking in Florida) with all the fixings on the side. (hot peppers!) and tomato pie the perfect fix.

What a great treat for us. Now I just need to see if they'll ship!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

In the middle of a set-back shopping plaza on a bland commercial thoroughfare, this store is pretty Average. Parking is cramped, with lumbering SUVs carefully avoiding each other.

I walked the shelf space, viewed the offerings in the deli/salad counters and gauged the hot takeout fare. I dished into foam boxes a few scoops of grilled potatoes, pasta and sauce. I strolled another loop through, listening to the weekday lunch energy. Business is good. Most of the customers appeared to be regulars.

There were a couple of interesting cheese samples with crunchy bread on a small table near the back. I speared a chunk with a toothpick, chatted with staff, then sauntered to the register. This is a to go deli, as there are no tables or seats. They carry the local papers, a nice small town touch.

Back to the parking tussle, there is more to and fro as there were cars idling for close-in parking spaces.

At the park for Fonthill, the open-to-the-public mansion nearby, (yes, see this quirky attraction) I relished the thought of my lunch from Altomonte's. But, there was no zest, no homemade zing to my choices. After a few uninspiring bites, I placed everything back in the paper bag, never to be touched again, toured Fonthill, and enjoyed the day.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Some one in this business knows food. Baked goods and prepared foods are all delicious. Take home pasta sauces are the best I've ever had.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I will review (also positively) all of the hidden wonders of this fine purveyor later. Why we have bakeries and take-outs in the restaurant reviews, I will never understand. For the moment, let me say this: Altomonte's is now baking authentic Pane Altamura! Not bring it in, but baking it themselves, in a day-and-a half process.

If you've been to Italy, you have had this wonderful durum wheat bread with your meals. The next day, however, you have what Americans call "stale bread". This why there are such things as "Crostini" and Panzanella and all of the wonderful things the Italians do with day old (Italian) bread.

If you've been to Italy, and if you've cooked in your own cucina there, you know about this bread. It's here in Bucks county PA USA

1  Thank gracioustraveler