“Atrocious Customer Service!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Worst restaurant experience of my life, hands down. The waiter was hideously inexperienced, nothing went smoothly the entire time we were there. One person never received her food! They brought it out, after the rest of us were finished eating, and when we asked for it to be comped the CHEF TOOK IT AWAY! We never even got to touch that plate, he just grabbed it back and said "there, she doesn't have to pay."

We didn't end up paying for anything, actually, as he told us to leave. I understand when customers are difficult, and I work in the industry, but I have never in my life experienced anything like it. Worst customer service of my life. I would like to hope Tom is ashamed, but I bet he couldn't care less.

He claims he was a chef in New York and this is "just a hobby." Thanks for gracing us with your mediocre food, Tom. What would humble PA do without you?

Oh let's not forget that there was a toddler running around unsupervised the entire time. By the time we walked out of the door the kid was 100% naked, diaper and all. So that was a nice touch.

3  Thank Kat M

Reviewed 17 September 2013

On every trip we always find one place that is just right. For my wife and I, on this trip, this is the place. The food is excellent, the atmosphere nice and relaxing and the people excellent and real. If you are in this area stop by the Bell House.

1  Thank ciaSlim
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Driving home from NYC we were on a long stretch through Pennsylvania on the highway. We were hungry and hadn't seen any exits in a while and didn't want fast food. We looked on Trip Advisor and found this location. We pulled in and parked but as we were approaching we didn't really know what to think. It was basically somebody's house and we weren't sure if we should go in or if we were mistaken. We found the door and entered the lower level of what is likely the owners home. It was very quirky. Had unusual décor - kind of antiques, kind of new-age, and it did have a musty - basement smell like another reviewer commented. However, the staff were super friendly and the place was busy so we decided to give it a try. We ate breakfast. It was basic - pancakes and egg wraps - but good. It was a nice diversion on a long stretch of highway.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

It was like home on the road my wife and I travel a lot and try to find local fare. We have eaten in some very nice places and had good and bad meals coming home after the fourth of july. We got off the hwy exit 265 and could not find anything off the exit so sally hit trip advisor up for a restaurant and the bell house came up we almost passed on it because of the first review- we are so glad nothing else was open after we found our way in, we found a quaint new England style cafe. The food was some of the best I have ever had - made by a man I thought was out of his mind. He was the only one working so service was slow, but after the food was done I got a chance to talk to him a bit -WOW, this guy had the life! From People magazine to the David Letterman show, this guy has stuff in and on all of them, but out of all that - it's his restaurant and he didn't want to send anyone away hungry so he opened by himself- he gave his staff the weekend off for the fourth. If you get a chance stop in, the food is worth the stop, and say "hi" to crazy chef Tom from Bill and Sally.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

As locals we decided to give this place a try on a Saturday morning. We got there around 10AM and immediately after walking in were very uncomfortable. There were two other tables with customers besides ourselves. The guy who was running the place was by himself both serving and cooking, so when the service was a little slow we gave him a pass. But when we needed to get our own silverware, coffee and coffee mugs after realizing we weren't getting them ten minutes after we ordered, that was a little strange. Besides the weird service the atmosphere of the dining room gave me an overall creepy, uncomfortable vibe. The way the room was set up and the fact that you could smell it used to be a basement, along with the grandmother-like/modern/random decor made it a very quiet meal. I have to admit that the food we ate was good, although pricey at over twenty dollars for two simple breakfasts and two coffees. The weirdest part though was when the couple next to our table decided to start serving a party that just walked in, since the guy was absent, and then the guy came out of the kitchen to say "I am but your humble servant," multiple times. Wait, what? Overall the food was good and if you can get past the weird atmosphere and extreme lack of service, go for it. I for one will not be returning anytime soon.

2  Thank Sm635