“Burned down.”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

This place had a devastating fire in December. Doubt will ever reopen. Read that the owner doesn't know. The one time we went there, the owner said everyone was late and couldn't open on time for breakfast.

1  Thank Quiet_Mike_11

Reviewed 2 November 2013

The Bell house is the first place I have ever gone that I came in as a stranger and left as a friend. This place has a lot of heart and not only embodies everything I find appealing (organic ingredients, Eco friendly atmosphere, amazing coffee, etc) but also goes that extra step to make you feel welcome as soon as you walk in.

Chef Tom is one of the most genuine people I have ever met and really gives his all to make sure everyone leaves happy and satisfied. You can tell that what he does is out of passion and love and not just for money. The food is amazing and Chef Tom is willing to go that extra mile to make sure it suites you perfectly, whether it be gluten-free, vegetarian, or just 'no onion'.

During the summer, they grow their own ingredients and have an awesome patio to sit at. During the winter, their house coffee is perfect to warm up with. They always have out of this world pastries by Bonnie Bell.

To my delight, they now have a weekend brunch on Saturday and Sunday, which is nothing less than amazing. No two weekends are the same, and a majority of it is made to order! The price is reasonable for being all you can eat, and the quality is even better.

The bell house cafe is certainly somewhere I recommend to anyone passing through, and any local who is looking for a weekly spot. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Ellen S
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Worst restaurant experience of my life, hands down. The waiter was hideously inexperienced, nothing went smoothly the entire time we were there. One person never received her food! They brought it out, after the rest of us were finished eating, and when we asked for it to be comped the CHEF TOOK IT AWAY! We never even got to touch that plate, he just grabbed it back and said "there, she doesn't have to pay."

We didn't end up paying for anything, actually, as he told us to leave. I understand when customers are difficult, and I work in the industry, but I have never in my life experienced anything like it. Worst customer service of my life. I would like to hope Tom is ashamed, but I bet he couldn't care less.

He claims he was a chef in New York and this is "just a hobby." Thanks for gracing us with your mediocre food, Tom. What would humble PA do without you?

Oh let's not forget that there was a toddler running around unsupervised the entire time. By the time we walked out of the door the kid was 100% naked, diaper and all. So that was a nice touch.

3  Thank Kat M
Reviewed 17 September 2013

On every trip we always find one place that is just right. For my wife and I, on this trip, this is the place. The food is excellent, the atmosphere nice and relaxing and the people excellent and real. If you are in this area stop by the Bell House.

1  Thank ciaSlim
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Driving home from NYC we were on a long stretch through Pennsylvania on the highway. We were hungry and hadn't seen any exits in a while and didn't want fast food. We looked on Trip Advisor and found this location. We pulled in and parked but as we were approaching we didn't really know what to think. It was basically somebody's house and we weren't sure if we should go in or if we were mistaken. We found the door and entered the lower level of what is likely the owners home. It was very quirky. Had unusual décor - kind of antiques, kind of new-age, and it did have a musty - basement smell like another reviewer commented. However, the staff were super friendly and the place was busy so we decided to give it a try. We ate breakfast. It was basic - pancakes and egg wraps - but good. It was a nice diversion on a long stretch of highway.