“Good amenities except for the bugs”

Comfort Inn Duncansville - Altoona
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duncansville
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I have been many places but usually only comment if the place left an impression on me whether good or bad that I feel a need to share. The Comfort Inn was not ready when we arrived around 3:00pm and check in is at 2pm. The website implied there is a restaurant and a bar in the hotel which there is not and that was one of the reasons I picked the hotel. There is
Hoss's Steak and Seahouse and Marzoni's Brick Oven located in front of the hotel’s parking area. There was a Marzoni's Brick Oven menu in the room if you wanted take out. I had room 330 which was a king bed suite, smoking room, with 2 person sofabed, 1 person whirlpool bathtub. The room had 2 large flat screen tvs in it with a nice selection of channels and HBO. One was like a 32” at the foot of the bed. The other was around 42” in sitting area to watch from the sofa couch bed. There was no DVD player but the back of the TVs had HDMI hook ups so we watched the movies with the laptop hooked to the TV with the HDMI cable. The room had coffee maker, iron, ironing board, microwave, mini refrigerator, desk, hair dyer, luggage rack and couch. The indoor pool and hot tub area was clean and nice with extra towels there to use. The website says 24 hours exercise room and talks about the pool. It really closes at 10pm. The breakfast was ok. You could make yourself a waffle or have yogurt, banana, or cereal. There is a nice late check out time of noon for slow morning riser like myself. The only real problem I had was my room had some bugs! I was there two days. I just killed them and didn’t pay much attention to it at first till I kept seeing them. Then I thought maybe it was bed bugs so I looked them up my laptop and caught some in a cup. It looked like them but slightly too big, I thought. After I had some in the cup, I asked the front desk if I could talk to someone. They sent the head housekeeper up to the room. She told me they were tree bugs. They were attracted to the building because it was warm and along the creek and it was the first snow fall of the year. I looked up the tree bugs pictures and it look like a bed bug but slightly larger. I believed her but still had bugs in my room. I would have liked to been offered another room even if it was one with out all the amenities I had.

Room Tip: I would pick the backside of the hotel because there is no parking lot and a view of the river.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank funlovencowgirl
Comfortsales64, Manager at Comfort Inn Duncansville - Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. I feel some clarification is necessary since the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. Restaurants “on property” reflect that they are in our parking lot area and are within walking distance of the hotel. Our Exercise Room has 24 hour availability and our Pool and Hot Tub hours are 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM. In regard to the tree bugs (stink bugs), we apologize for any inconvenience that was caused. The hotel was at full capacity for the night, and therefore, the guest could not be offered a change in room. The guest was offered a late check out without charge, but chose to stay the second night in the same room. Compensation was given to the guest in the form of a discount. We strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

Very nice hotel...very friendly staff and free internet service. Nice pool. It's nice when you are in a strange town to be able to sit in the hotel and get a quick easy cold or hot breakfast before you head out. Makes your stay there more pleasant when you don't have to worry about where you are going to eat breakfast. The only down side is that the elevator is just a little slow but then I am a little on the impatient side.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Comfortsales64, Manager at Comfort Inn Duncansville - Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to express your nice comments on a recent stay at our Comfort Inn. On behalf of our entire hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff's efforts. We look forward to serving you again!

Reviewed 1 September 2011

Found ourselves in the Altoona area and in need of a room for the night. Duncansville is just on the outskirts of Altoona...a much quieter part of of the area. What a prize we found in this Comfort Inn! We had a King Whirlpool room and it was spotless. Not one, but two flat screen TVs, microwave & mini-fridge too. Walked across the parking lot to Marzoni's for dinner...delicious. Thought we'd see what the hotel had for the free breakfast the next morning...expected the usual small selection. We couldn't have been more wrong...eggs, sausage, sausage gravy, make-your-own Belgian waffles (3 flavors), cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, muffins, oatmeal, 4 juices, coffee, tea & milk and all of it fresh and yummy!! By far the best hotel breakfast we've ever had...actually went away full. Highly, highly recommend you stay here if ever in the Altoona area.

Room Tip: A room facing the rear is nice as there's a view of the well-kept yard and stream.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We are so very happy that you found our location such a special place to stay. We strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying. I have extended your kind comments to our Breakfast Staff. Thank you again and if you are in the area in the future, we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed here when visiting family in the area. The rooms are large, clean, and have a refrigerator and microwave. There is also free wifi in the room. There is also a nice indoor pool and hot tub. They have a free hot and cold breakfast every morning with waffles, eggs, cereal, yogurt, and fruit. We were able to check in early upon arrival which fit in great with our plans. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Thumbs up to this hotel. I stayed in room 218. Rooms were clean, with evidence of routine treatments. Not a trace of any kind of insect (I always check btwn headboard and head of bed.) Location is 5 stars, by a grocery store and rest. Hotel had tolietries I forgot. I recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I have stayed at this comfort Inn many times. I had not been there in months and when I came back it was just as I remembered, with a few new chairs in the lobby I felt like I came home. The front desk was helpful, kind, and friendly. The room was so clean and comfortable. I would recommend staying there for any traveler, you will find yourself wanting to stay a little bit longer. I've been to the big city hotels but Jodie and her staff are top notch! The best in the business! I WILL be back!

Room Tip: call the hotel directly, the best help!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2011

I just got married and my mother and cousin got us a room for our honeymoon night and when we walked in, it looked ok but then, we opened the fridge to put our food in and there was old mexican food in fridge and then, when we went to get into bed, we pulled back the sheets and there were peanuts on the bed. We filled out the yellow card and the manager, Jodie, brushed it off like it was a common thing even though, we showed the peanuts to two of the housekeepers and showed them the old food and they told us to fill out yellow card, the manager brushed it off.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bellwoodbear
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duncansville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Altoona
#1 of 15 in Altoona
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Altoona
6 mi away
Wingate by Wyndham Altoona

Been to Comfort Inn Duncansville - Altoona? Share your experiences!