“Third time was NOT the charm” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wye Motor Lodge

Wye Motor Lodge
Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Wye Motor Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Duncansville B&B and Inns
Hanover, PA
“Third time was NOT the charm”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

My family and I have stayed at the Wye Motor Lodge on several different trips to the Altoona, PA area over the last 5 years. This past trip was the third time we've stayed there, and unfortunately, it will be the last.
We had always chosen the Wye because it was a clean, reasonable, conveniently located hotel. It's a no-frills place (no pool, no continental breakfast, etc.), but that was okay with us. I am more concerned that the place is clean and safe, which is what we had always found to be true in the past. This time around we found the room to be clean, etc., but the safety of our room was another story.
We left our room at around 10 am on the first day of our vacation and I was sure to lock the door, which I'd noticed was hard to shut/lock properly. (I did not place the "do not disturb" sign on the knob, since I hoped for the housekeeping staff to make up the room while we were away.) It was exceptionally hot out and so we left our AC unit on because the temps. were supposed to reach 100 degrees that day and we hoped to return to a cool room.
We continued with our vacation plan for the day, which included a trip to Lakemont Park and an Altoona Curve game. When we returned after the game, the outside temp was still 91, at 10:30 at night. We were all beat and looking forward to showers and a good night's sleep. So you can imagine our annoyance to find the room door unlocked and left open about 8 inches!! Thankfully, nothing in the room was touched, but our first thought was that anyone could have waltzed right in and taken whatever they'd wanted. Our second point of frustration was that not only was the door left open, but the AC was turned completely off, and the room was hot as an oven!! It took a good 2 hours to get cooled back down. It was definitely not the nice, cool room we'd hoped to come back to!! And honestly, it made for a miserable night's sleep.
My husband was upset and immediately called the office to complain and the attitude he was greeted with was "so what? nothing was stolen; and it was because of the humidity that the door didn't close properly." Now, I understand that mistakes happen, and that people are only human, etc., but I would have really, really appreciated an apology or some kind of offer of "I'll be sure to tell the staff to be more careful". I decided to try speaking to the office personnel in the morning, and was greeted by the same nonchalant replies and the attitude of "it's no big deal, because nothing was taken". Umm...that wasn't the point! The point is that when I leave a hotel for the day I expect that my items are reasonably secure. (Granted, I would never tempt fate and leave a wad of cash laying around the room, but regardless...I expect the things I leave in my room to be safe while I'm away.) Anyway, long story short, I was so irritated by the lack of understanding and absence of professionalism in the office personnel that I will NOT be returning to the Wye. I really wish that even one person would have offered an apology or some small token of concern. It would have made a huge difference.
After this incident occurred, we tried to find another hotel (but since all seemed to be booked, we were kind of stuck). The next day, we made the "do not disturb" sign very clear, stuck out that night's stay, and then left. It's unfortunate. They had a good customer in us and have now lost our business. Also I'll be sure to tell folks to book their stay elsewhere.
To sum this up, if you are looking for a inexpensive, clean place to stay, it will probably suit your needs. Just be very careful how you leave your room, and do NOT expect any level of help if you have a problem.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank suegabler

Travellers are raving about these Duncansville hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duncansville
Comfort Inn Duncansville - Altoona
#2 of 14 in Altoona
Courtyard Altoona
Courtyard Altoona
#7 of 14 in Altoona

Been to Wye Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!