“Never again.”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dunmore
Brooklyn, New York
“Never again.”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably one of few people who have no problem spending as little money as possible for a night or two in a cheap motel (as long as it's clean). So when I headed over to Scottish Inns for the weekend with my fiancee and 5 month old son, I wasn't expecting 4 star service. But I was NOT expecting, what I consider, my worst experience EVER at a motel.
The owner is one of the rudest people I've ever encountered. This man charged us for 2 nights stay of $160 (even though we were quoted less over the phone). He claimed he had to increase our charge because the place was booked and there were only 2 rooms left. We get to the motel, and aside from one other couple, the entire place is vacant. After only being in the motel room for about 10 minutes, we ask for a refund as Hurricane Irene was headed that way, and we wanted to relocate North. Keep in mind, the room hasn't been touched. The owner refuses the refund. In fact, he was so upset that we'd even dare ask for a refund, that he demanded I return my room key, kicked me off the premises, refused to give me his name, and STILL didn't give me my money back! I wanted to call the police, but had to be in upstate New York a few hours later. What a scam artist! I was charged for a room where my key was confiscated, that I wasn't even allowed to stay in, simply because I asked if I could get a refund! The owner just kept insisting "if you want a refund, call your credit card company!" What a jerk, and as I said, worst motel experience I've ever had! This man doesn't deserve anyone's business!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank sparmonic

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Scranton, Pa
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Hubby is a Truck Driver and when he comes in town we gwt a Motel.. All motels were filled up. So we went to The Scottish Inn in Dunmore. Carpets were filthy, bed was very hard, coffee maker no coffee, no tissue box, no bath mat for the floor, no mat for tub.. A dirt ring around the bottom of the tub...We went out for the Day left on AC and came back it had been turned off and I had an Asthma Attack due to very hot room melted A candy bar to liquid. Went to Manager and he said that maybe the New Maid forgot and turned it off and that usually they are left on when occupied. and he would talk to the maid next day! So this was bad 2 days with my Hubby!!! Never will go there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank soso88_11

Travellers are raving about these Dunmore hotels

Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 December 2010

we stayed there. the tub in the bathroom was nasty. dirt all on the bottom. no mat for the tub to prevent falls. the sink was filthy. the side of the sink was breaking. sheets had burns in them. the carpet has wholes in it. walls are filthy. tv don't get many channels. heat in the bathroom does not work.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank star17948
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Arrived to find the room filthy, drawers broken, bathroom in terrible condition. The walls were dirty as well as the one towel we got for 4 people and the shower curtain was disgusting.
Needless to say, we were not going to spend the night but was told we would have to pay the full amount whether we stayed or not. We chose not to stay

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank rhian106
savannah
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Can't believe we stayed here. We could not find any other hotel that would take a cat. It was not good enough for a pet! I would not eat breakfast there.

No chain on the door. Paid 70. for this run down room and building. Holes in the tiles in bath. no tissues, garbage on the floor near the bed. Obviously did not vacuum. Lamp was falling apart and dangerous. Bath mat was stained and gross.

They should be ashamed and should have paid US to stay there!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank connollygr
rochester
Reviewed 19 February 2010

i was a nice and good place for stay.nice and clean rooms.very good matress. also bathroom was clean. heat was working good.everything was good and management was very freindly. manager was good in nature.i stayed two nights and housekeeping was also very good.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Maryland
Reviewed 23 December 2009

The hotel is somewhat filthy. The toilet seat was broken and patched with duct tape. Worse, it wasn't bolted down properly so you had to sit on it gingerly so it doesn't tip over. The bathroom was not sparkling clean. There were two of us but there was shampoo for one. No Kleenex box. Bed uncomfortable. Heating unit hard to adjust. Windows filthy. The only good surprise was that the Internet wireless worked well and fast, even though we were the room farthest from the office. There was coffee and cereal for breakfast but no pastries (which were supposed to be available from 6am to 9am). The breakfast room was in the lounge/reception area. It was cold. The lights were switched off, on the only light in the room came through the windows.

We didn't have time to plan and left home on a long drive in a hurry, and didn't have time to plan ahead and read hotel reviews. It was late at night when we were looking for a hotel, and having stayed at a great Scottish Inn before near Harrisburg, PA, I thought that another hotel in the same chain would be just as good. Wrong. It was a disappointment.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheLittleOracle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunmore
Sleep Inn & Suites Scranton Dunmore
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton
Four Points by Sheraton Scranton
Fairfield Inn Scranton
Fairfield Inn Scranton
#5 of 10 in Scranton

Been to Scottish Inns Dunmore? Share your experiences!