“We loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Deerfield Spa
Washington, DC
“We loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2007

My husband and I absolutely loved this spa! Its relaxed, friendly, with a wonderful exercise program, and great food. Accommodations are not fancy, but the rooms are cheerful, and clean. If you are looking for a luxurious spa, this is not the one for you, but if you are looking for a place to help you form new eating habits (you can do that in 10 days), and keep you busy from dawn to dusk, Deerfield is great. You'll also meet nice people. In 8 days last year I lost 4 pounds, my husband lost 6. Since then I have lost 12 pounds, my husband has lost 20...and we are headed back to Deerfield at the end of this week (this is our second year doing the end of October 10-day stay) and I hope to break through to the next 3 or 4 pounds on my way to 128 pounds. Deerfield is like a low budget movie star life: all you need to do is participate, let the cooks fix your food, and relax!

• Liked — the food and exercise program.
  • Disliked — I like everything.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2007

If you are looking for a perfect Girl's Weekend Away-try the Deerfield Spa. We had a great time! Plus I lost 3 pounds without even
trying!

Deerfield's location is great, only 1 1/2 hours drive from the Newark
Airport. It right by the Delaware Water Gap recreational area and the
Spa has guided hikes through the park and on the Appalachian Trail.

Deerfield is not a resort spa. It is a bed and breakfast in the Pocono Mountains. It is a very laid back and relaxed atmosphere. Small and quaint. You can participate in as much of the activities or as little as you’d like. It is a GREAT VALUE for what you get! Makes a weekend not only worthwhile but affordable too!

Each day the activity list starts at 6:15AM and usually ends with a group event (like line dancing or bingo) in the evening. While at the
Spa we did Qi Gong to start our day, Morning Stretch, a guided Intermediate Hike for 2 hours along the Appalachian Trail, Butts & Gutts Training, Yoga, and Core Board. Plus we used the sauna and hot tub. ALL of these activities are included in your Daily Rate.

The food at Deerfield Spa is excellent and also included in the Daily
Rate. Each night you fill out from the menu and specials page what you’d like to eat the next day. They were VERY flexible about accommodating special requests. Food is lower in calories and fat, but delicious all the same. There is coffee in the morning but no sodas. We just went to the local grocery (5 min drive) and bought some for our stay (plus M&Ms…)

Spa treatments are an extra cost. I had a Swedish Massage and a Hot Stone Massage. Both were great. But, the rooms tend to be loud as people come and go from treatments. Two of the rooms are located down
in the basement of the house and feel a bit cramped.

I would say 2/3rds of the guests came by themselves for 2-4 weeks to
“jump start” a new stage in their lives-focus on eating right and working out. At meal time you rotate with whom you eat so it’s nice to get to know some new people. I would feel very comfortable about coming to Deerfield by myself.

The house was built in the 1930's but has been renovated. I would say
the renovations made the property lose some of its charm as I prefer renovations in keeping with the period look but that's just me. Only
complaints were that the baseboard heaters pumped out sooo much heat.
No controls in the room so we just kept all the windows open for ventilation. And, the shower was hard to get to the right temperature
and then very wimpy (I like strong showers).

There are Outlets about a 15 minute drive away and a Movie Theater nearby as well. We did both for a change of pace.

• Liked — Great Value for what you get
  • Disliked — Room too hot
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank letstravelwithtwins
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2006

I had a very positive experience at Deerfield Spa. I decided to go it alone for this vacation because of work stresses...I really wanted to get away from everyone. The DS website said you can do as much as you want or as little as you want ... I wanted to do as little as I could. Well, as it turned out I joined in every activity that I could. It was the first night at dinner with everyone else, I happen to sit next to a couple that was very nice from my area and a few others that were traveling alone. The conversation was so easy that I decided to give the other people a fair chance. I made my way around tables at each meal time and had several friends by weeks end. I had several awesome massages that week (Cudos to Maria who actually worked out my chronic back problems. And with the additional massages I was feeling the best I had in a long while.) I'm in my early 30's...no one should feel such stress. Deerfield took all my troubles away and showed me that there are nice people out there. Yes, DS needs some updating but I never felt like anything was unclean and I'm a freak about germs. I had no run-ins with staff that were unpleasant. (I'm a meeting planner - I would tell you if I did.)Donny is a wonderful instructor...so enthusiastic/passionate about his work and in helping others. If it's still offered I would take the chair aerobics class no matter what age you are....it was so much fun - haven't laughed that hard in a long time...and by the end I was out of breath...from both laughing and the exercise!

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank Alelle
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2006

I totally disagree with the scathing review given by (--). I have been coming to Deerfield for the past five years and I have always found the staff to be accommodating, warm and extremely informative. I distinctly remember my first time at Deerfield. I was petrified to go to a spa because I had gained weight from an auto accident and I was afraid of being embarrassed in exercise classes and that I would not fit in.

It was Joan and the office staff that took the time to reassure me into coming to the spa. They sat down with me and explained the menu, which is comprised of delicious, fresh, low-fat cuisine. They provided a detailed schedule of all of the daily events for the week and showed me where the bottled spring water coolers were. I remember even telling them how grateful I was for the cold spring water because this would encourage me to drink more water, which I knew was important for good health. I filled up my sports bottle all day as I went along with no problem.

I had never had deep tissue massage and one of the perks of coming to the spa is that they give you some FREE pampering services based on your length of stay. I stayed there 10 days the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed the massage. It helped my body recuperate from the car accident and the masseur provided excellent tips for strengthening my muscles.

Each time I have stayed at Deerfield, I have had a different room. The rooms are decorated with a charming country decor, which fits in PERFECTLY with the Pocono surroundings. One thing that impressed me was the fact that it was so peaceful and serene, even though the guest house was full! Deerfield was extremely relaxing for me, allowing me to de-stress and focus on my health and fitness goals. I tend to be a coffee drinker and for good reason, the spa limits your coffee intake to breakfast only. The spa provides an unlimited amount of herbal teas which you can drink hot or cold.

Overall, I think Deerfield is an excellent destination spa. It is affordable, accessible and the staff and the owner, Joan are always there to make your stay there the best it can be. You have fun and I actually look forward to the groups of ladies who come back year after year to visit. My husband and I will be staying at Deerfield in the fall and all I can say is I CANNOT WAIT TO GET THERE!

Stayed April 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reading, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2006

My mother, sister and I spent 7 days at Deerfield for some bonding and to jump start our fitness/weight loss goals. The best part of our trip was (1) spending time together and (2) the fitness program. The rest of Deerfield is a disaster and needs serious overhauling.
The biggest problem with Deerfield is its owner Joan. She is extremely rude and clearly cares only about making money and not about her guests. Equally rude are the office staff who make guests feel as if they are bothering them every time you go in there to ask a question (which you must do often because no one tells the guests anything about how things work).
I agree 100% with the prior reviewer about the decor being complete outdated. She was also correct about the food. The sole focus at Deerfield is on keeping calorie count low and not on nutrition. The food is quite plain and not remotely good for you. And, in keeping with Joan's love for the almightly dollar, corners are cut to keep costs low. For example, Deerfield does not offer bottle water despite the fact that you spend the entire day working out. Bottle water is provided only to those who go on the hikes. The tap water here is disgusting so if you don't bring you're own, you'll either have to find a store or be dehydrated.
The only positive to Deerfield is its fitness director, Donny Messing and his staff. Donny is amazing. He is truly into the GUESTS and helping them reach their fitness goals. He is incredibly knowledgeable about all aspects of fitness and nutrition. If it hadn't been for him, we probably would have forfeited what we paid and gone home early. He truly made the week worthwhile.
We would return to Deerfield only if it were under new management (preferably Donny's).

Stayed May 2006
11 Thank Ranger's Mom
Albuquerque, NM
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2005

Deerfield is one of the more affordable spas, in a lovely, peaceful location. But if you're looking for a real spa experience, you should know that this is really more like a B&B with some exercise thrown in than a health spa.

The clientele is almost entirely female and runs toward the senior-citizen end of the spectrum. At 33, I think I was by far the youngest person there. The decor is a bit on the frumpy side (lots of white wicker, carpeting and floral prints), and they are quite behind the times with regard to nutrition and fitness. The food is relatively plain, sort of Lean-Cuisine-ish, and not particularly healthy. They seem to use a lot of artificial sweeteners and fake fats to keep the calorie count low. If you are trying to eat a natural, whole foods or organic diet, you will not be happy here. The exercise regimen and staff, which used to be excellent, are just OK now. The best instructors seem to have left since the death some years back of the original owner, Frieda Eisenkraft. The best part of the fitness program now is probably the hiking at nearby nature preserves, but that's something you can always do on your own and hardly worth the spa fees. The massages, facials, etc, are also just OK, not great, and the facials lady tries to make you buy her line of products.

The upside is that there is absolutely no pressure (besides the facials lady). You don't have to worry about what you're wearing or feel awkward if you huff and puff in step class because everyone else is doing the same. And, at around $1000/week I guess it's about 1/4 the price of the better-known destination spas. All in all, if you're new to exercise and want a super low-key, somewhat grandmotherly spa experience, this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2004
18 Thank nabq
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2005

I have been to Deerfield four times and am looking forward to my next trip in July. It's cozy and comfortable, the kind of place where the dining room staff addresses you by name after one meal. It's a place where you can meet friendly and interesting people, get in shape, relax, be pampered, and have fun. The exercise classes are varied and well-taught, the hikes range from simply scenic to challenging, and the food is creative, tasty, and satisfying. Calories are counted for you. It's easy to start a serious weight-loss or fitness program here, or just go to relax and enjoy massage, facial and other body treatments while living in a lovely country house in the beautiful Poconos. Facilities include an outdoor whirlpool in a gazebo, heated pool (don't miss the water workouts!) sauna, two gyms and a sport court, as well as relaxing treatment rooms. There are charming lounges for socializing, lectures, reading, movies, etc. All meals and classes are included. It's not a typical luxury spa, but it's very comfortable and no effort is spared to make you feel special. The rates are very reasonable. Give it a try!

19 Thank TDG
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,975 reviews

Been to Deerfield Spa? Share your experiences!