“The Best of All”

Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I've just returned from another wonderful visit at Deerfield Spa. What more can I say, except the service remains excellent, the food is still delicious and wholesome, and the staff are polite, attentive, and caring.

Joan, Deerfield's owner, truly extends herself to make visitors comfortable, and is "hands on" and ready, willing, and able to assist at many levels. The wait staff/servers are magnificent, and classy.

The nutritionist provided invaluable information, as well as a cooking demonstration, which yielded healthy and delicious fare., .We were also given a copy of the recipe that she prepared.

I especially enjoyed the sunrise hikes and the beginner's hikes, and the guides who take us on these magnificent hikes. Additionally they are knowledgeable and patient. There are various levels for all.

The housekeeping staff were very friendly, courteous, and also provided excellent services.

Now that I'm home, I've have to deal with the real world, as I just left a real life fantasy.that helped me feel better. However,Deefiied Spa has certainly made it easier for me to to so.

I would be remiss if I failed to send shout to Janice and those assisting her.

Exercise classes are available by competent individuals.

Hope to see you soon "If my heart is still beating and the creek don't rise"-Joane

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank NewJerseyToya

Reviewed 25 September 2012

The staff was very nice.The exercise classes included a large variety of unique and fun choices.
The entire facility is small, outdated and not kept up.The food was just okay with not much on flavor. There definitely a way to make food tasty and filling without all the fat and calories, however the chef at Deerfield Spa has missed the mark.
All and all it was a nice place to just get away for a few days. Definitely would recommend major updates to justify the rates that are being charged.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Callie47
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I have been to D.S. many times over the past 15 years or so, and I have never been disappointed. They have a gazillion choices of classes every day, including off-site hikes. I always meet interesting, friendly people. The place is small, so you get to know everyone very well. To be honest, the exercise classes are not all that challenging, but the instructors are EXCELLENT and will always give you tips to modify. Plus if you do classes all day long, I guarantee you will be tired at the end of the day and see results. Regarding the food -- I read some of the other reviews and I think that those reviewers have just never had spa cuisine before. Everything is designed to be healthy and help in weigh loss. So it's not going to be your typical restaurant fare. For spa cuisne, it is excellent and I was full after every meal.

And Joan the owner, goes out of her way to make everyone feel at home. The facialist is excellent, the prices are reasonable, and for sure I will be going back next year.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ldmc1
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Look at the website and form an opinion just based on what you read and see (photos). Here's what the reality is: this is a weight-loss place (and used to be so named!) for middle aged women who want some help getting into shape. It is not a "spa" for those of us who think: spa = pamper. My cousin and I recently went to D.S., attacted by the website's indication of multiple activities (hikes, pool, exercise classes, evening programs, etc), good food and a quiet environment. The truth is that the exercise classes are very low level (for beginners), you must be driven to a park for the hikes (only place to walk nearby is on country road so you are trapped),the only evening "class" offered when we were there was BINGO! There was nothing to do in the evenings except go to town for a film or watch tv. The food is quite dull & very very limited: I was flat out DENIED butter for my baked potato and my cousin could not get caffeinated tea even for breakfast. We actually had to go shopping for food the first night! Food service poor: one eats at tables of 4-6; sometimes it was 5-10 minutes before the last person at the table got their food. The only beverage is water at lunch and dinner. This type of dining caters to those with impulse control issues over food. The main building is on a VERY busy, VERY noisy road, and the neighbors took up target practice (shooting) in the first night- hence: not quiet. The well water was undrinkable and stunk (due to sulfer) during our entire stay (3 days). DS was not proactive about their well water problem--we were not informed about how long it might take to fix nor brought fresh drinking water to our room. We went out and bought water and an air freshener for the room: think hot steamy shower water laced with rotten eggs---and brushing your teeth in sulfer water (yck). Some things are out of DS control: the road, the neighbors, maybe some of the water issues.....but a lot IS controllable. The only reason I rated this as poor instead of terrible is that one of the two massages I had was really good and most of the staff and guests (equally befuddled!) we met were very nice. My concerns, when brought to the attention of the owner, were addressed. ALWAYS check out tripadvisor and read, read, read all reviews. Ignore all website testimonials--you know only the favorable ones get printed. I am not a picky person....but I don't like being misinformed/misguided and I believe the DS website does not paint an accurate picture of DS. Not even close.

Room Tip: If you must go, sleep in the annex (next to pool). At least it's behind the main building and yo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
11  Thank cvcalifornia
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Recently my best friend and I stayed at the Deerfield Spa for rejuvenation of our minds, bodies and souls..and it was one of the best vacations we ever had! Normally we take trips to Carribean Islands or somewhere where the water is blue, the drinks are included and the food is non-stop...and we come back fat, alcohol seeping from our pores and tan. This vacation was different but more fulfilling. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Sophia who was very pleasant and accomodating. She even heated up dinner for us (dinner had been served hours ago) as we made our meal choices for the next day.

Our room was small but quaint and comfortable. No flat screen TV but we didn't visit Deerfield to spend hours in the room (except for sleeping lol). The next morning was spent having a delectable breakfast and then a 2 1/2 hour hike at the Pocono Educational Center where we got to see a new view of East Stroudsburg. The tour guide, Richie, was informative and sweet-bringing extra water bottles, "homemade" walking sticks from the forest and oranges for after our hike.

Upon our return, yet more delectable food was served for lunch. I loved the cuisine here. Now you have to remember what you are getting yourself into. This is not a place where you would eat an entire pizza or a Death by Chocolate cake. You visit Deerfield to cleanse the body, learn about portion size, the ability to count calories, eating tasty food that is good for you, easy to make and relatively inexpensive. Deerfield even sells a receipe book of their cuisine (a nominal $10) for preparation at home. I started one morning with an egg white omelet and fruit, another morning with homemade french toast, another with a delectable egg white, turkey bacon and cheese sandwich on a wheat bagel thin. Everything on the menu, including the daily specials, comes with a calorie count so you can balance your menu daily based on your activity. You can eat delicious food and still be satisfied! (and yes, there was pizza for lunch one day.)

The property is serene. A 24 hour heated pool, outdoor (but enclosed) hot tub and indoor sauna, a spa equipped with trained professionals (ask Jim for a Lomi Lomi massage), two gyms with all the equipment you could need or want (I loved the Pilates Reformer!) and all the characters from Bambi making their appearance. Goodbye to the real world-hello peace, tranquility and hoping I win the lottery and get to live at Deerfield.

As for additional activities, there is something for everyone-from young folks looking to get in shape or get a good workout to middle age folks looking for the same to the older folks making sure everything keeps working the way it should-Deerfield offers a variety of physical activity as easy or sweat dripping as you want it. Activities start as early as 6:30 a.m. and run up through dinner at 5:45 p.m. There are even snacks served in between meals for energy bursts! You can do every class on the schedule, every hike, or you can do nothing and sit on the porch swing with some tea or sit in the foyer and do a puzzle. (My friend and I finished one while we were there and I know another new friend who was working on her second.)

Deerfield even offers activities in the early evening (because you may not have enough energy to stay up past 10 after all the workouts and hiking) to keep you entertained- cooking demonstrations, Bingo, Family Fued, Texas Hold'Em, writing "classes." And for you folks that just can't get enough, the Pocono Candle Store is less than 20 minutes away, along with The Country Kettle offering homemade jams, jellies (and choc!!) plus nick nacks galore. And yes, Mount Airy casino is about 25 minutes away but I tell you, after all the detoxing, the smoke from Mount Airy just wasn't a pleasant experience.

And I can't forget the cooks, our waitress, the office staff, Joan!!! I don't know what's in the water here but everybody was so genuinely nice. (We don't see that all the time in New Jersey.) The waitress learned your name. You didn't even have to tell her what you ordered at dining time. You sat down in any seat you liked and she brought you your food. I asked one maid for cotton balls and when she couldn't locate any available on the property, she brought me some from home! And then there is Joan. Joan and her sidekick Katherine were like best friends you had yet to meet. They participated in the activities, brought you your morning paper at breakfast, hugged you if you needed one and came out of the office (when they could) to hang out with all of us. The whole place is a social gathering!

Now, most of the people staying at Deerfield were women but the place doesn't hold more than like 35 people at a time so it was intimate. A bunch of girls were there on their own and made new friends at Deerfield. There were two couples staying at Deerfield during my stay and even a grandma, grandpa and their granddaughter (who was about 16)! It was a mixed bunch but everybody was really friendly. People even organized car pooling with thier new friends to The Crossings Outlet.

So If you haven't gotten the jist, we loved this place... and yes we will be back. We can't wait to get back. I can't believe I am writing this but I can't wait to go back to Deerfield and enjoy a vacation where a fitness instructor kicks my butt, I eat nutritious food, I dine with strangers, I can get a massage, get a facial, sit in silence having tea, take a midnight swim or go to bed early and rise for a sunrise hike. Your body, your mind, your soul needs a vacation like this. (But if you can't handle it, there is the Country Kettle where choc is abundant or the Barley Creek Brewery.) Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a private bathroom unless you don't mind sharing one in the hallway with others.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I had read all reviews on this site regardless, knew a deal when I found one. 3 nights @ $435 meals and massage included. Sign me up :-)

So I called to book my getaway and left a message. Ten hours later called again (what can I say, I was excited to lock in a date) and spoke with a young lady that was ...snarky!?!? Knowing that this is a very small spa I was careful....definitely didn't want to come across as difficult. She huffed, she puffed, she took my reservation.

Fast forward one month. I had booked and had a few questions (couldn't get much info at the time of booking) so rather than email, I made use of the 'ask' a question portion of the spa site which promised a response within 2 business days. Sadly, after 8 business days I hadn't heard back (left both email and phone number) and being the non-confrontational person that I am I called from a friend's phone and asked the questions....which were once again answered by the same young lady...yay, she's still in a snarky mood! But at least the questions were well answered.

Despite these interactions I'm very hopeful that this will be a peaceful happy vacation. And I'll be interested to see whether Tammy has a happier disposition when I meet her face to face. :-)))

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank ImplusiveImport
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My child was attending summer camp and while searching for a nearby hotel, I came across the Deerfield Spa. It is everything I could ask for a week of "Mommy Camp." My room was bright, comfortable and clean. Housekeeping service was prompt and accommodating.

There were a wide variety of activities to choose from daily: stretches, hikes, power walks, lots of great fitness classes, yoga, and even a few evening enrichment activities like creative writing. It was super to be able to try core board & Pilates reformer without having to join an expensive club with those special features at home. The instructors were excellent - Mike, Cindy & Jody really know their stuff, are very encouraging and especially helpful to newbie’s. And there were always options for the "hard-core" to work a little harder than average.

The area around Deerfield Spa is just beautiful and the organized hikes make it all accessible. Rich is a great hike-master. He is prepared for any weather! He gauges the ability of the hikers and selects just the right location, terrain and length.

The spa cuisine is delicious and filling. I looked forward to daily meal times and especially enjoyed talking with other the guests at community tables. The twice daily snacks are creative and tasty and I walked away with some good ideas to try at home.

And finally, I really enjoyed my "Deerfield facial" and massage. Both were a part of my room rate and mae my visit to Deerfield complete.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
#5 of 8 in Stroudsburg

Been to Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!