“Think twice before booking” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Deerfield Spa

Deerfield Spa
New York City, New York
“Think twice before booking”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Call ahead of time before booking....the website claims "lifestyle education lectures, workshops and demonstrations, evening activities". The ONLY thing they offered was bingo ONE night. A group of us would have LOVED a lecture, workshop, and demonstration…..anything to show what we were actually paying for!
There was no orientation, no map, no Welcome Kit.....30% off the classes listed did not have descriptions.
The ONLY item to drink is de-caf tea and water. No iced tea, sun tea, lemonade….nothing but water. Coffee once a day at breakfast.
There is a store…no prices, no knowledge of the products sold……no signs indicating which items are on sale. Pack your toiletries…they only offer you soap!
The owner, Joan, is rarely there and when she is there appears to be skating by on the reputation of the place instead of investing in the place.
This has the opportunity to be a great place……it needs someone with an eye for details.

Room Tip: Twin beds!! UGH...big woman need more than a twin bed to be comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Big B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Nassau County, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I had a wonderful time at Deerfield and have booked another 10-day stay for next year. Deerfield is a non-portentous place to come for rest and relaxation and to exercise and eat well. The atmosphere is that of a large country home and you are a welcomed guest. The rooms are clean and comfortable with housekeeping service every day. The menu offers a variety of healthy and delicious choices. With three meals and two snacks every day, I never felt hungry. There is a variety of exercise classes offered all day long. Everyone is very welcoming and the staff will go out of their way to see that you are comfortable. If you choose to be along, there is plenty of room inside and out. If you are traveling along, you will feel very comfortable here and are sure to make a few friends. I had several Spa services while I was there and enjoyed them all. My special treat was to spend time in the sauna before bedtime. I when to Deerfield to just rest, adjust my eating habits and spend time with my daughter who was also there. I only went to two exercise classes while I was there and took a one mile stroll several days and I still loss 1.5 pounds. My daughter who attended three, one hour exercises classes a day lost 13.5 pounds. If you like flea markets and antiquing, there is plenty nearby. If TJ Maxx and such, is more your thing, there are those choices too. I cannot end this review without mentioning Adam and Keith out waiters in the dining room. They are both very professional yet very personable. Joan Wolff, the owner, makes you feel like a houseguest and an old friend. So again think non-portentous cozy comfort, healthy eating, exercise OR rest and relaxation, leisurely strolls, sitting by the pool, reading.
Deerfield will be an annual destination for years to come.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carole P
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

Stayed 10 days and had a wonderful time. Lost 9 lbs in 10 days...Went hiking almost everyday. Hikes were rated from easy to difficult. All of the staff and guests were wonderful. I enjoyed the food and had favorites that I would choose. I did buy my own bottled water and my own organic fruit. The classes were excellent and I tried each one of them. You can get discouts if you look for specials. I would go back again. The rooms were good and the place was clean.

Room Tip: Don't choose rooms without a private bath if you have any type of sleeping or bathroom issues. R...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Fran C
Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

What a great place. I was looking for a trip for my birthday and I wanted to go to a spa but not just to lounge around. I came across Deerfield and it was just what I was looking for. I wanted something with nice scenery, comfortable and that would be great for me health and pocket wise. Deerfield was perfect. I choose the 10-day special and I am so glad I did. The food, the exercise and the staff totally met and exceeded my expectations. You have the choice to totally relax and do nothing or you can really make this place work for you. I took advantage of the exercise classes while I was there and came home 13.5 lbs lighter! NO JOKE! and enjoyed every minute of it. I felt good and slept well the whole time I was there.

The guests and the staff are a hoot. Everyone is so welcoming. Some of the guests have been coming for years and some, like me, were first timers. My mother met me there and we had a ball. We were so comfortable that when we were sitting in either of our rooms we felt like we were upstairs at a family member or friend's house. One guest played the piano and I ran and grabbed my flute and we had great time singing and playing. I even had leisurely evenings in the lounge working on a puzzle. My mother booked her return trip before she left. We traded a lot of numbers and e-mails and have already been in touch with a lot of folks we met there.

I had 3 massages, Swedish, Hot Stone and Lomi Lomi, while I was there and with all the exercise they were welcomed and did the job. Cynthia was so nice, gives a great massage and also did my eyebrows. It has been so hard for me to find someone to do them correctly and she is a real pro. I did most of my exercise classes with Cyndi and she is a real gem and super encouraging. The chef did a great job and the wait staff, Adam and Keith, are the best! I got a kick out of making them laugh. Deerfield in not in the least pretentious but their wait staff is super professional, very polished and highly accommodating and they learn your name very quickly.

The only thing I missed while I was there was not being able to get a manicure on site. I did stop and get one just a short distance from Deerfield. That is the only thing I can think of that I would change. If there was something else, it wasn't a big deal since I can't seem to remember anything else now. I really liked my room, housekeeping respects how you have things arranged and I honestly was never distracted or really aware of the road noise others write about. I was a happy camper all around and even went antiquing one day in town.

I would travel here alone and I would be totally comfortable, they really look out for you. Joan is great and when she hugs you at the end of your stay you know it is genuine. I will return for my birthday next year as well and I am really looking forward to it.

3 Thank Lynell W
Mashpee, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

I just returned. I don't understand all the negative reviews but understood the reviews after being subjected to people who would complain about not having something to complain about. . It's very affordable but don't expect Canyon Ranch. Do expect a very clean place with really good food..friendly staff, knowledgable trainers. I went alone and it turned out better than I expected. A few people who I met want to come back together because we had such a good time.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper call and ask for a room not facing the street. My only complaint.
3 Thank Barbara S
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

I have been to this spa several times in the past but this was my first visit for a few years. When I arrived I immediately felt as though I had come home.The entire staff is very caring and all of them are good at what they do. Although it is true that Deerfield could use some updating in several areas, the guest rooms and public spaces are well maintained and the food was more creative than I remembered. However I was glad I had brought my own caffeinated tea bags and sea salt. Sea salt grinders are available in the dining room but you have to ask. They were running a special, 10 days for the price of a week with a $210 credit towards spa services, so I feel I got a good deal and all the benefit of staying longer, which I had always hoped to do one day. I took lots of different classes and went on a couple of hikes I met some friendly and interesting people and was able to relax, lose some weight and get more fit. There is not that much to do at night, and the few things scheduled were pretty low-key, but I did not go there looking for entertainment or nightlife. One evening we had bingo, on another night there was a nutrition lecture, some nights there is an evening yoga class, every Thursday night there is a cooking demonstration, and one evening there was a dance party where we learned swing and merengue and had a great time. Also, many of us scheduled our spa services in the evening. Tired from a day of working out, I was mostly happy to read, relax and watch the flat screen TV in my comfy room if nothing else was going on. This spa not a luxury resort, it's a comfortable place where you can relax, work out, get a good massage, facial or body treatment and eat healthy food while meeting new people and maybe learn something new about how to stay healthy and fit.

3 Thank TDG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

I have been going to Deerfield for 16+ years now and I LOVE it! It is nice and small (intimate)so you never are lost in the crowd. The food is healthy, portion controlled, and WONDERFUL! The classes are great and such a variety. I started coming for the hiking as it is my favorite exercise - I go in the fall as it is beautiful then. The instructors and staff are great - talented and personable. The price is a great value and since it is short drive from NYC - a wonderful retreat for all. We call it our "adult sleep away camp". If you go try to take advantage of one of the 10 day specials (10 days for the price of 7) - this is the best deal! Plus when you go for 10 days you really feel the stress relief and the pounds come off. Wish I could go more often than once a year.

Room Tip: You have choice of annex rooms (separate from main house) or rooms in main house. I like the main h...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eldeedee19
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,952 reviews

Been to Deerfield Spa? Share your experiences!