“Dated and out of touch”

Deerfield Spa
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Dated and out of touch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Deerfield spa is a basic no frills weight loss resort. We like it for that reason however, after spending the last 4 days at the spa, my sister and I were convinced that the owner plans to close soon. Everything is run down and dated. The air conditioners in the rooms need to be replaced (I had allergic reactions every night). Toilets didn't flush fully. The bed was so hard my neck hurt every morning. The exercise instructors were not up on the latest sports information and not attentive to participants needs. Nutrition lectures were given by untrained staff. There are 2 treadmills and 1 recumbent bike in the entire place and all could use servicing. As for the food, its not bad but its not good. Vegetables were overcooked. There wasn't any creative use of spices. One woman was there for a juice fast and she had to show them how to do it. There are no options for juicing, gluten free or other special diets unless you bring your own. The facials and massages are adequate at best but no way satisfactory. This seemed to be the general consensus in the dining room. One of the massage therapists admitted to my sister that she was fresh out of school and didn't know what she was doing. That's fine. We all need experience. But let your client know so they can make an informed choice. Service at meals was good as was housekeeping. The 4 days for both of us cost $2900. Not nearly as much as the famous spas, but the experience was certainly not worth the money. In the end, we realized we could probably find a nice hotel near a day-spa and do as well price-wise for 4 days or book a fitness cruise. Regardless, we won't be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ellen Z
DeerfieldSpa52558, Owner at Deerfield Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
The guest related a complaint to us during her stay. We did not think it had merit but responded respectfully and accommodated her in the way she requested. We also provided her, at her request with an extended stay at a discounted price. We were not able to provide the additional discounts she requested at check-out. I am puzzled as to why she didn't leave after 2 days and stayed the extended 2 days if she was so unhappy with us. We strive to provide a wonderful experience for all our guests. We are proud of our high rate of repeat guests and we look forward to serving them for many years to come.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Thank you Dearfield Spa. My wife and I recently spent 5 nights at your spa. Going in, my expectations were that you are a bed and breakfast with exercise classes and spa services. You met my expectations. The classes and instructors were all great. We took a nice hike with Rich. Terri was great for yoga and Cindy was really awesome for aerobics and Pilates. Dave was fun with his pool workout. On different nights, my wife went to a nutritional seminar and we both tried wedding line dancing. As far as the meals, the food was very fresh and tasty. There were many options to choose from (and you can request extras) and 2x portions were available for me (a guy) as well as the calorie counts available for both of us. We didn't really come here to lose weight, but the portions are measured and were great (and we both lost a little.) As with any transitory environment, the other guests we met during the week were friendly. All ages were present and represented. We met and spoke with a lot of people, most guests were women. The gyms were nice. The equipment wasn't the most modern, but was maintained well. The new hot tub was nice. We stayed in the annex. We were told by other guests staying in the main house that by their descriptions, our rooms were bigger. Room decor was definitely bed and breakfast motif. Clean towels and linens. The rooms and bathrooms do need some updating. The spa services were average. We both had massages and my wife had a facial and we both felt better and relaxed after. My wife did comment on the high quality of product used with her facial. We were overall happy with our stay. This isn't a high end luxury spa but for everything you get, the price is right. We left feeling relaxed and healthy and were glad we came. We both would recommend.

Room Tip: Stayed in annex. Was told by other guests that switched from the main house to the annex that the an...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Craig1551
nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Wow, was I at the same place as Big B (which might stand for .... ) I loved it here and only booked 2 days as it was my first time. I eat well, wonderfully cooked, portioned food 3 times a day plus an afternoon snack & an am booster. Cooking demonstration by the very knowledgeable nutritionist Thursday night. Busy all day with the large variety of classes, especially loved the qui gong, yoga, pool class, am stretch, hikes and had a hard time choosing. Pool and hot tub are always open. Great value, had everything I needed. Excellent dedicated and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Liked being in the main building.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank queeks
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Call ahead of time before booking....the website claims "lifestyle education lectures, workshops and demonstrations, evening activities". The ONLY thing they offered was bingo ONE night. A group of us would have LOVED a lecture, workshop, and demonstration…..anything to show what we were actually paying for!
There was no orientation, no map, no Welcome Kit.....30% off the classes listed did not have descriptions.
The ONLY item to drink is de-caf tea and water. No iced tea, sun tea, lemonade….nothing but water. Coffee once a day at breakfast.
There is a store…no prices, no knowledge of the products sold……no signs indicating which items are on sale. Pack your toiletries…they only offer you soap!
The owner, Joan, is rarely there and when she is there appears to be skating by on the reputation of the place instead of investing in the place.
This has the opportunity to be a great place……it needs someone with an eye for details.

Room Tip: Twin beds!! UGH...big woman need more than a twin bed to be comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Big B
Nassau County, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I had a wonderful time at Deerfield and have booked another 10-day stay for next year. Deerfield is a non-portentous place to come for rest and relaxation and to exercise and eat well. The atmosphere is that of a large country home and you are a welcomed guest. The rooms are clean and comfortable with housekeeping service every day. The menu offers a variety of healthy and delicious choices. With three meals and two snacks every day, I never felt hungry. There is a variety of exercise classes offered all day long. Everyone is very welcoming and the staff will go out of their way to see that you are comfortable. If you choose to be along, there is plenty of room inside and out. If you are traveling along, you will feel very comfortable here and are sure to make a few friends. I had several Spa services while I was there and enjoyed them all. My special treat was to spend time in the sauna before bedtime. I when to Deerfield to just rest, adjust my eating habits and spend time with my daughter who was also there. I only went to two exercise classes while I was there and took a one mile stroll several days and I still loss 1.5 pounds. My daughter who attended three, one hour exercises classes a day lost 13.5 pounds. If you like flea markets and antiquing, there is plenty nearby. If TJ Maxx and such, is more your thing, there are those choices too. I cannot end this review without mentioning Adam and Keith out waiters in the dining room. They are both very professional yet very personable. Joan Wolff, the owner, makes you feel like a houseguest and an old friend. So again think non-portentous cozy comfort, healthy eating, exercise OR rest and relaxation, leisurely strolls, sitting by the pool, reading.
Deerfield will be an annual destination for years to come.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carole P
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

Stayed 10 days and had a wonderful time. Lost 9 lbs in 10 days...Went hiking almost everyday. Hikes were rated from easy to difficult. All of the staff and guests were wonderful. I enjoyed the food and had favorites that I would choose. I did buy my own bottled water and my own organic fruit. The classes were excellent and I tried each one of them. You can get discouts if you look for specials. I would go back again. The rooms were good and the place was clean.

Room Tip: Don't choose rooms without a private bath if you have any type of sleeping or bathroom issues. R...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Fran C
Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

What a great place. I was looking for a trip for my birthday and I wanted to go to a spa but not just to lounge around. I came across Deerfield and it was just what I was looking for. I wanted something with nice scenery, comfortable and that would be great for me health and pocket wise. Deerfield was perfect. I choose the 10-day special and I am so glad I did. The food, the exercise and the staff totally met and exceeded my expectations. You have the choice to totally relax and do nothing or you can really make this place work for you. I took advantage of the exercise classes while I was there and came home 13.5 lbs lighter! NO JOKE! and enjoyed every minute of it. I felt good and slept well the whole time I was there.

The guests and the staff are a hoot. Everyone is so welcoming. Some of the guests have been coming for years and some, like me, were first timers. My mother met me there and we had a ball. We were so comfortable that when we were sitting in either of our rooms we felt like we were upstairs at a family member or friend's house. One guest played the piano and I ran and grabbed my flute and we had great time singing and playing. I even had leisurely evenings in the lounge working on a puzzle. My mother booked her return trip before she left. We traded a lot of numbers and e-mails and have already been in touch with a lot of folks we met there.

I had 3 massages, Swedish, Hot Stone and Lomi Lomi, while I was there and with all the exercise they were welcomed and did the job. Cynthia was so nice, gives a great massage and also did my eyebrows. It has been so hard for me to find someone to do them correctly and she is a real pro. I did most of my exercise classes with Cyndi and she is a real gem and super encouraging. The chef did a great job and the wait staff, Adam and Keith, are the best! I got a kick out of making them laugh. Deerfield in not in the least pretentious but their wait staff is super professional, very polished and highly accommodating and they learn your name very quickly.

The only thing I missed while I was there was not being able to get a manicure on site. I did stop and get one just a short distance from Deerfield. That is the only thing I can think of that I would change. If there was something else, it wasn't a big deal since I can't seem to remember anything else now. I really liked my room, housekeeping respects how you have things arranged and I honestly was never distracted or really aware of the road noise others write about. I was a happy camper all around and even went antiquing one day in town.

I would travel here alone and I would be totally comfortable, they really look out for you. Joan is great and when she hugs you at the end of your stay you know it is genuine. I will return for my birthday next year as well and I am really looking forward to it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Lynell W
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,984 reviews

Been to Deerfield Spa? Share your experiences!