“Rehabilitating Spa Retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Deerfield Spa
New York City, New York
“Rehabilitating Spa Retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I went to Deerfield Spa with my colleagues for a work retreat. The timing couldn't have been more perfect as I had just suffered from a week long migraine. In just 24 hours, the physical therapist located and worked out a pinched nerve in my spine that was causing my migraines and my body was cleansed with the healthy diet and active daily routine. This is a personal place without frivolity that allows each visitor to choose his or her path towards revitalization.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Eliza F
DeerfieldSpa52558, Public Relations Manager at Deerfield Spa, responded to this review, 14 October 2015
Thank you for leaving us a great review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and love the feedback. We truly care what our guests think and want to continue to grow with the help and suggestions of our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This spa was the perfect getaway to escape the city and relax. I had such a great time - from massages to meals to sunrise hikes, our experience at Deerfield Spa was amazing! Delicious and healthy meals, friendly staff and clean and comfortable accommodations. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone looking to relax and get away.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Deirdre P
Hopatcong, NJ, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a spa that is geared toward weight loss through diet and exercise. Overall, it is a very pleasant, low-key place, but I do have a critique about the food. First the good: The outdoor pool is heated to a comfortable 84 degrees, and our room (in the annex) was pleasant, the towels were thick and fluffy, the furnishings homey and pleasant. The buildings are older, very well-kept and charming . The staff was pleasant, the hike I went on was great, and the aquatics classes in the pool were fun. There is a lot to do all day to keep one moving -- or you can just chill by the pool.The gym has some decent equipment, it's not the latest and greatest but - hey - a 10 lb dumbbell is a 10 lb dumbbell. The food overall was very well prepared and tasty and the serving staff was very accommodating. Now the critique: first, let me say I am a certified fitness professional so I have some familiarity with nutrition requirements. The food is geared to those trying to lose weight so naturally it is low calorie and portion controlled (you CAN get more if you want). BUT, the nutrition plan has clearly been put together by someone who is not up to date on the latest findings re fats/health/efficacy of fat reduction -- they are stuck in the low fat/no fat paradigm of the 1980s! The macro-nutrient balance needs to be improved ...overall meals are ultra-low fat, low to moderate protein, and high to very high carbohydrate, and some meals could be completely fat-free which would not allow for proper absorption of nutrients (general rule of thumb NEVER eat a fat free meal!) Research shows that when losing weight, high protein is better because one loses more fat and not lean tissue. The breakfast was especially high in carbs and low to non-fat and lower protein -- a poor balance for breakfast. A simple tweak would be Instead of all egg-white omlette, use a whole egg plus some egg white to bring it up to 20 to 25 grams of protein. (The spinach omlette was quite good, BUT it was egg white only), And please, use REAL butter, saturated fat in moderation is not bad, the body needs fats! Add some real olive oil to the salad dressing (I think it was nonfat) -- it doesn't have to be a lot, but some extra-virgin olive oil would provide some good fats high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial. The addition of some avocado and maybe a walnut to the salad at lunch would provide needed good fats. To balance the calories, reduce the carbs, especially the processed carbs (breads). Instead of a turkey burger on a bun, how about a nice big salad with lots of greens, sliced turkey, about 1/4 avocado and vinegarette made with real olive oil?-- No bun, no toast, no processed carbs, which would save the calories you add with the avocado and/or oil. . Mid-morning snack also was non-fat/all carb .... adding 3 or 4 almonds would add about 20 calories, a little fat and would help provide a feeling of satiety. The owner needs to find a dietitian or nutritionist who is up to date on the latest findings regarding fats and macro-nutrient balance in weight loss. The menu was the reason I rated this spa only 4 out of 5, as it is overall very pleasant and a good value. If they were to have a better balance in the menu I would give it a 5.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Palladinette
Thank you for leaving us a great review. We really are glad to hear your thoughts. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and love the feedback. We truly care what our guests think and want to continue to grow with the help and suggestions of our guests.
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect. I had talked to the staff on the phone and they seemed knowledgeable and well informed. Our room in what they call the annex was comfortable and clean. The meals were excellent. Many classes about diet, nutrition and health and exercise classes. The meals were excellent. All of the instructors were excellent. The certified nutrition expert was knowledgeable and helpful. I am sure we will return as a number of the guests that were there had been previously. If you want to get on an exercise program and be healthier this is the place for you. We were there for 8 days. I lost some weight and will be eating more healthy. I look forward to receiving the newsletter.

Room Tip: I'd ask for the annex. I'd get a copy of the exercise and class schedule a head of time to l...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DeerfieldSpa52558, Owner at Deerfield Spa, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hi Bob,
We're so glad you enjoyed being here! Look forward to seeing you again soon! It was a pleasure sharing the Deerfield experience with you. In good health, Joan
Suffern, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I went with great hopes to have a well deserved spa and wellness vacation. This place would be perfect if it was a bed and breakfast with great food. What we got instead was an owner who was quite rude and rough around the edges telling us about her personal life and that she was in a very bad mood. We proceed to get a breakfast of egg whites fake cheese and No bacon or turkey bacon or no other form of protein that would sustain us till lunch. Let's just say the food at this place is NOT spa like but more of as cheap as possible and as little as possible. Think of it like a restricted diet from the 80's that Jane Fonda would have followed. It's VERY unhealthy and not good at all for anyone trying to feed a toned muscle body. The decor is Very dated 1989 wants their furniture back. The gyms are ok at best. The one garage converted gym has no air conditioning in it. Let's just say it was like working out in a sauna. There is a spa with facials and massages that was great and the only modern good thing. Entertainment needs improvement, something other than bingo in the dinning hall with dollar store prizes would be Appreciated. This place has no wine at all and no fridge ,no microwave ,no coffee except in the morning, no coffee maker in the room. We had to go to a local supermarket (thank God we had a cooler) to get actual food. We got Greek yogurts and fruit that this place did not provide. The price for this was Not cheap! We could have gone on a cruise for the price and had a way better time. If to are looking for a romantic getaway DONT GO To The Deerfield Spa!!! There was another couple who fell for what the owner Joan said and they left early. I felt bad for them it was there wedding anniversary!

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank MariG72
Hello, Margi and thanks for taking time to write about your experience at Deerfield SPA. I am sorry to read that Deerfield didn't meet your expectations. Deerfield is best known for being a retreat with an emphasis on weight loss and exercise. Our low calorie portion controlled spa menu gives you many choices, and guests are told that they can order larger portions or extras for any meal. I was also confused to read that you were not aware that we did not serve alcohol, this is a plus for many guests. Deerfield has won numerous Spa Finder Readers Choice awards, one which is being the "Most Affordable Destination Spa" (not a luxury spa) awards!
There are many types of spa experiences out there and I am sorry that Deerfield was not for you.
New York NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I planned a quick spa weekend recently and so glad I chose Deerfield Inn and Spa.
The staff, management and guests were all very friendly.
The Inn has a country inn feeling to it and is well taken care of and very clean and comfortable.
There are a selection of fitness classes therefore you are able to find the classes that are right for
you. If you love the outdoors there are professional hikes.
In the summer months there is a great outdoor pool for water aerobics or just to swim and relax.
The low cal portion controlled meals were really delish and the chef is very creative with the daily
specials. The staff is professional and courteous and will fill your requests and provide any information you require.
I had a fabulous vacation and will return hopefully soon.

Room Tip: Request a larger room in the inn or a patio room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank salomeflowers
philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I went solo and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived to have been upgraded to the annex. My room and bathroom were very clean and the A/C ( window unit) was so great. I spent July 4 weekend at Deerfield spa.

The class instructors were professional, informed and easily approachable. The best were the people I met. I sat at a different table at each meal and mingled during snack breaks. The guests were their for a variety of reasons. I enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and the owner Joan is so personable, funny and just can't do enough to make sure you have everything you want.

This is not a foo foo high end spa but it is a fabulous getaway that offers everything one would need to escape and enjoy. The hikes were a personal highlight. The food is calorie controlled but you have the option to add if you want.

I will return.

Room Tip: I saw rooms in the main house ( smaller ) but was happy to have had an upgrade to the annex.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank philadelphiaMax
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,974 reviews

Been to Deerfield Spa? Share your experiences!