“A Fun Family Weekend Getaway”
Review of Fernwood Resort

Fernwood Resort
NJ
“A Fun Family Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

With all the mixed reviews we were a bit leery about going there but we figured it couldn't be as bad as some made it sound. If you are looking for a 5 star resort, this is not the place to go, but then is there really a resort like that in the Poconos. We had a 1 bedroom villa in the Treetops section. It turned out to be a very nice unit. Granted the decor screamed late 80s early 90s but it was fairly well maintained. Granted we did have 2 minor issues. A bad heating element on the stove and a broken bracket in the sleeper sofa that supported the matterss. Both were quickly attended to by the maintinence staff. Otherwise there was no other issues that a bit of paint and new walcoverings wouldn't fix. White Lightning the on site snow tubing hill was lots of fun, we all enjoyed ourselves. The hot tub in the pool area in the main hotel was out of service due to some equipment problems. There was a large kind of unruly group in the pool area at the time so we decided to go to the pool at the Fairways section of the resort. We did mention to a staff member we saw in the hallway that the group at the pool was getting a bit out of hand and there were also glass bottles in the pool area and she sounded very upset that this was going on and she would have someone remedy the situation right away. Granted there was an attendant at the pool but she looked like a teenager and probably didn't want to upset this group by calling for assistance. The pool at the Fairways section was quite plesant. Granted like a lot of places in the resort it could stand some freshening up. In defense of the resort according to some staff members I spoke with the entire resort in in the midst of a update. Right now I was told they are focusing on the villas because they are also timeshare units and are one of the big money makers for them. Overall this was a very fun experience for us.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HFWNJ
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are pleased you enjoyed your vacation.

Our staff takes great pride in offering exceptional service, so that all of our guests can have an enjoyable vacation experience.

While the pool area you are referring to is owned and operated by The Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center, which is separate from the Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway, I was happy to hear that a member of their staff responded immediately to your concerns.

We have also started an aggressive refurbishment program as well as a Preventive Maintenance Program and will continue to make other improvements property wide.

We hope that you will take the time to come visit us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Sicklerville, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Chose a 1 bedroom villa so we would have a hot tub. But when we tried to use it the water was murky and brown and wasn't even hot. The shower was cramped and the shower head needed to be replaced and was spurting everywhere-more what you would find at a campground than a resort. There was an overall dingy feel to the place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Please accept my apologies for your dissatisfaction while visiting with us. I can understand your disappointment in not getting the vacation you had hoped for. We appreciate all of our guest’s input regarding the property whether positive or negative. I was truly sorry to read that we fell short of your exceptions.

I have spoken to our Senior Operations Manager with regard to the brown material. The resort’s main water supply system gets flushed routinely. However, there are occasions where some mineral deposits come out when the water is turned back on inside each villa, and after reviewing the dates more closely, I believe this is what you encountered during your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Travellers are raving about these East Stroudsburg hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My girlfriend and I went for a 2 night 3 day getaway at one of the villa's. The couch in the room was miserable and the most uncomfortable couch I have set on and we had no hot water in the shower at all we had to take a bath in the Jacuzzi. For 168 a night i expected a lot more.

Room Tip: dont stay in the villa's
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I apologize that you were not happy with your stay at The Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway.

Guest feedback is very important to us. I have asked our Quality Assurance Team to try and determine the villa in which you stayed so a thorough inspection can be completed. I only wish you had reached out to our Front Desk or Villa Services Department during your stay. We would have been more than happy to assist you to ensure you had a most enjoyable stay.

We are consistently working to maintain and upgrade our resort. Our staff work diligently to ensure our guests are given the experience they deserve. I hope that you will take time in the future to visit us again and see the improvements we have made.

In the meantime, I would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Fernwood needs a lot of updating. We were disappointed that a sauna was advertised on the website but were told when we got there that it had been "taken out years ago". The hot tub in one of the pool areas had yellow caution tape sectioning it off. It just looked creepy. We stayed in the Villas area of the resort--the room was ok. The bathroom was less than clean. We had four people in our room and therefore had to use the sofa bed, I've never seen a sofa bed in such bad shape. The service at the restaurants is VERY slow. We won't go back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I sincerely apologize that you were disappointed with your stay and for the concerns you reported in your comments. I only wish you had made your displeasure known to us regarding the bathroom and sofa bed so that we may have addressed or relocated you to another villa that would have been more to your liking. I can assure you that I will investigate why these issues were not addressed prior to the villa being released for check in.

The sauna and hot tub that you are referring to are owned and operated by Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center which is owned and operated separately from the Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway. I do apologize on their behalf.

We are continuously working to improve our resort and hope you will have an opportunity to visit again and see the changes.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
USA
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

I've visited this resort which I have done in the past and it is sad but I had a two bedroom two bath and it is being not kept up it is outdated many appliances would not working the jacuzzi tub was disgusting there was mold on the bathroom shower doors very disappointed the maintenance crew the housekeeping replace items but it seems that the place needs to be re furnished or torn down.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
First and foremost, please allow me to apologize for all frustrations encountered while with us. I was disappointed to hear of the concerns that you had made mention of.

I have asked our Maintenance Department and our Quality Assurance Team to try and determine the Villa in which you stayed to verify the items you listed have been repaired and to investigate why they were not addressed prior to your arrival. These items should indeed have been noted and corrected prior to the room being released for check-in. Our inspection process is usually quite thorough and I would apologize for any shortfall in our more typical standards of presentation on this occasion.

I would also like to take a moment to reassure you that the current direction of the property is a positive one. We have made significant improvements property wide and this plan of action will continue into the coming years.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I know that my fiancee and I rely pretty heavily on reviews when we are about to stay somewhere, so I'll say that this is a cool place with a great bunch of people. Great getaway spot!

I scored this place for a ridiculous price based on us sitting through a timeshare presentation that would last 90 minutes. I wasn't phased by this, because I know in this economy, it could very well be a great deal. On top of that, the awesome operator I booked with said it was very low pressure.

We did our research, saw there were some less than ideal reviews, and made sure we bought some basics such as champagne, mixers, appetizers like cheese & crackers, so we could spend some time in the room and have a romantic moment or two.

We were put in a villa that was not bad, but unfortunately the jacuzzi was not working properly. We arrived at about 8 pm, and they had us in another villa by 11. It was a great and easy transition, and the other villa they put us in had everything working properly. These rooms/suites/villas are about 30-40 years old, so they are gradually upgrading everything, but some things may be a little lacking compared to an Embassy Suites.

We had a great time using the jacuzzi (there is also a shower in the bathroom), enjoying our appetizers we brought with us, and wandering off to the local bar for some other food. The nightlife is not going to rival NYC, but depending on when you go, there are some options that would satisfy most. Two legitimate bars right on site, and a few more within 5 minutes. We wandered off site to have breakfast and had a very respectable, fun meal for the same price you'd pay at any local diner.

As for the presentation we were required to attend, our guy John was fantastic. The other local representative Fernando was also great. If you have a little bit of expendable income and like relaxing, please google Fernwood and if you can get the deal we got, take the trip and listen to what they have to say. I plan on going back many times to this place! Thanks Fernwood!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brendan B
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Our staff works diligently to ensure each guest enjoys every moment while with us. We are pleased we were able to succeed in making your trip to the Fernwood Resort and The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway a great one.

As you mentioned our location offers our guests the luxury of many different activities or restaurants on property and located close to the resort.

Guest feedback is very important to us and we do indeed value our guests input and concerns. We have made significant improvements property wide and will continue to do so that we can accommodate our guests to the fullest.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I went with my family of two boys 8 and 2 we had a good time the best parts was having everything right on site. snow tubing was great no long lines and horseback riding was cool too. The Villa however was not up to par very outdated I couldn't enjoy the Jacuzzi because the hot water was limited; the closet door was not in tact; we stayed in a studio villa the stove was a hot plate and the fridge was compact; I feel the Villas are too expensive to have so many set backs.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are pleased you and your family enjoyed vacation at our resort. As you stated Fernwood Resort offers many different activities for everyone to enjoy.

The Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway would like to send our apologies as to the maintenance issues that you encountered. The Fernwood Resort and the Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway pride itself on excellent guest service standards and I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations for your accommodations. We are continually working on plans to address the continued growth and success of our resort. It is my sincere hope that in the future you will have the opportunity to experience the difference that their efforts will surely make.

We hope that you will take the time to come visit us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,002 reviews
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Shawnee on Delaware

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!