“Eww! Poorly maintained, very dirty.”
Review of Fernwood Resort

Fernwood Resort
New York
“Eww! Poorly maintained, very dirty.”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed for two nights. Upon check in I discovered the previous guest had decided to smoke cigarettes and weed in the walk in closet?! After multiple calls to the front desk and housekeeping where no one bothered to pick up, I had to call 888 reservation number to request new linens to make up sofa bed as ours smelled like skunk. Blankets were also stained. Rooms were over all grimy. Indoor pool was closed although I was told it was open. Went to different indoor pool next day and was shocked again by how dirty and in disrepair it was. The pictures are not an accurate representation. Bottom line if you're compelled to stay, keep expectations low and bring your Lysol wipes.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Ziavia
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
We thank you for your feedback and apologize for your displeasure with your accommodations.

I have asked our Housekeeping Manager to try and determine the villa in which you stayed, so that an inspection can be completed to ensure that the villa has been properly cleaned.

I have also shared your review with our Director of Recreation with regards to the closure and cleanliness of the pools, so that she may discuss this with the Recreation staff.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and concerns.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 February 2014

First, we found a used condom when we moved the bed. Then, we found out there was no hot water. We called the first night and at 9pm. maintenance came and checked out the hot water. He said he reset it and to wait 1 ½ hour for the hot water to run. We called again at 10:30PM to let them know that we still had no hot water and were told that someone will come at 7:30 AM to address the issue. We called at around 8:30 the following morning. Another guy came and looked. By the time we came back from skiing at 7:30 PM, we still had no hot water. They sent another guy, Kevin, maintenance manager, who found that the pipe on our unit was leaking so he had to turn off the water supply completely. He told us he would give us that night free for all our trouble. We had to use wipes while we wait for another Villa, which we didn’t get until close to 10PM. The next Villa stank of curry on the upper floor and of cat urine on the lower floor. We were told by housekeeping that they would send someone to spray the room. After all the trouble we’ve been through, you would think the least they could do was make the rest of our stay comfortable. We didn’t see housekeeping until the following day and not because she was there to spray the room but because the room was marked as unoccupied on her list. When I went to check out, I inquired on how we will get reimbursed for the night Kevin told us we would have free. All three ladies at the desk practically laughed at my face and stated that Kevin had no authority to give any room for free. I went back to the car and told my husband what I’ve been told. He then went in and spoke to the same women, who now have the authority to give us one of the nights for free. I went in to get the transaction done since our stay was on my credit card. When I voiced my frustration about having to shell out $449 (our stay cost $728) for all the stress, the same women we’ve been dealing with sneered and said, “At least you got a night free. Did you really think you’d get your whole stay for free?” No, I expected to pay $728 and have a rare stress free weekend and not deal with all I just mentioned, and not to have to apologize to my kids for not being able to bring them to the pool because we spent the rest of our stay waiting for maintenance and repacking to move to another unit. As a per diem nurse who works practically every weekend, my weekends are valuable to me. We still haven’t gotten any kind of apology or heard from management. First, when we asked for a manager at 7:30pm on the second night, we were told there was no management on duty until 9AM. When we checked out at 11AM, we were told management is only there from 3pm-11pm. So, where was he the night before? We have stayed at this facility before and it was fine if you end up with a decent room. But cross your fingers you don’t end up with problems or you won’t find anyone who’d accept accountability.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Sil G
First and foremost I would like to apologize for the disappointments you encountered during your stay with us. I can understand your concerns in not getting the vacation you had planned for with your family.

The issues you noted in your comments regarding both villas should indeed have been noted and corrected prior to the units being released for check in. I have passed along your review to our Housekeeping Manager, so that she may address your comments with the staff.

I have also spoken to our Guest Services Director regarding the level of customer care that you received, so that he may addressed the staff to ensure this experience is not repeated.

I would like to personally thank you for taking time to bring this to our attention and giving our resort a review.

Travellers are raving about these East Stroudsburg hotels

Monroe, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 February 2014

It was not bad at all, we stayed in a kind of old villa, they have all that they promise, nothing more nothing less, they have snowtubing on the site, one thing to remember is when you got to PA for any of Snow Tubing, Skiing or any other activities look out for coupons, on the internet or brochures / fliers in the front-desk and you can sure save some money, near the snow tubing there is also an awesome grill restaurant, very very friendly staff - forget her name, but very good food for a very nominal price, there is swimming pool and the water was pretty warm considering the weather, it was definitely worth every penny. We were happey with our stay, home after from home.

Room Tip: It is definitely worth the stay, try to get newer suites than older ones, we stayed in older ones.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dinsun2013
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are pleased you enjoyed your vacation.

Our staff takes great pride in offering exceptional service, so that all of our guests can have an enjoyable vacation experience. Our resort and great location in the Pocono Mountains offers a nice quiet relaxing time to our guest, or great activities on property and the surrounding area all within a short drive.

We hope to see you again soon.
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We booked a stay at a 2 bedroom villa at Fernwood for some weekend skiing. Didn't check TripAdvisor before going...really, really wish we had. Wide awake in the middle of the night (on the pull-out couch that could second as a medieval torture device) I was already preparing my review. I never do reviews, so you know this is serious. Filthy, filthy, filthy carpets; moldy smell; there was what looked like black cigarette ash on one of the towels; a burn stain on the carpet; the pillowcase I used for the pull out couch actually smelled bad; the closet door was broken; the sliding door to the patio was broken (we didn't even try to venture out there); water pressure in the shower was a dribble; the downstairs toilet ran all night; there was one blanket for the whole room; even the soap was scratchy and irritating.
And about that pull out couch--if you're looking to go through some type of mortification process, the pull-out couch is a great means to accomplishing that. Overall, it was a dirty, creepy feeling the whole weekend. These villas need some serious renovation and better care, or they need to be demolished and redone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LilBee484
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
I would like to genuinely apologize for any inconveniences that you encountered on your stay. I have asked our Housekeeping and Maintenance Departments to try and determine the villa in which you stayed, so that an inspection and repairs can be completed, if they have already not been done. I wish that the Front Desk had been aware of the situation so that they could have relocated you to another villa to ensure you had a most enjoyable ski weekend. Thank you so much for writing a review of our resort so that we can continue to grow and improve.
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We had to transfer rooms three times in order to find one that wasn't dirty or without rust in the pipes.The resort was very outdated. The gym had barely any equipment and when I went to go use something, it broke on me. If I didn't jump out of the way I would have been injured. Our keys would stop working for no reason and we wouldn't be able to get into our room. I do not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you so much for giving our location a review and expressing you opinions. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered on your stay with us. I would also like to take this moment to reassure you that the current direction of the property is a positive one. We continue to make improvements property wide, which includes our villa improvement program.

I would like to apologize again for any difficulties you experienced and thank you for writing a review.
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I thought that i'd give this place a chance and try it out. Big mistake! We stayed in the 2 bedroom villa. The shower and hot tub was so moldy i showered in my friends villa next door. Hers wasn't as bad. The sofa has obvious white stains from previous visitors. We never sat on that the whole trip. There was (i think) chocolate pudding stains on the wall in our bedroom. I HOPE it was pudding. I did not want to get close enough to find out. When i first called the front desk upon arrive in our room she was sooo rude. I couldn't believe it. And when i asked about the Wifi she said with an attitude that the web site states its a fee for Wifi and not free wifi. Well i miss read. But i don't deserve to be yelled at for it! I will never ever spend another dime at this place.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay. Don't waste your money!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scorpiozgurl
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
First and foremost I would like to apologize for all of your disappointments.

I have forwarded your concerns to our Housekeeping Department to try and determine the villas in which you checked in to and to investigate why these items were not taken care of prior to the villa being released for check in.

I would also like to apologize for the level of customer care that you received. I can assure you that this is not our normal standard. All of our staff are trained in customer care skills at initial employment. Recently, the management team attended a new and exciting program regarding Customer Care. Our entire resort staff will be required to complete this informative, customer-oriented course. I believe that all can benefit from this and it is a wonderful reminder that our guests are indeed visiting us by choice.

I would like to thank you for filling out a review.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We rented a 2 bedroom Fairway Villa for a family ski weekend. The place was filthy, much of the furniture was torn and/or broken, curtains were broken and the carpet was damp and dirty. There were no sheets for the foldout couch beds and not a single blanket in the unit upon arrival (we needed to call housekeeping to have them delivered). On top of that, we found balled-up (presumably dirty) sheets on one of the dressers. This was one of the worst maintained properties we have ever stayed at. I would avoid it if possible.

Room Tip: The villas are in need of a serious cleaning and face-lift.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AHRESQ
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
First, please allow me to apologize for your dissatisfaction during your recent stay. We are continuously working on improving the resort from not only our own observations but also the valuable feedback we obtain from our guests. Our goal is to provide total guest satisfaction.

I have contacted our Quality Assurance Team so that they may try to determine the villa in which you stayed so that a thorough inspection can be done with regard to the problems you listed. These items should indeed have been noted and corrected prior to the unit being released for check-in. Our inspection process is usually quite thorough and I would apologize for any shortfall in our more typical standards of presentation on this occasion.

We continue to make significant improvements property wide including the villas. This plan of action will continue as we determine what areas of the resort will benefit from upgrades and enhancements.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!