“Filthy, leaky, and infested with ants.”
Review of Fernwood Resort

Fernwood Resort
at78rpm
“Filthy, leaky, and infested with ants.”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I so wanted to love this place. We brought some friends and their kids with us; the area has tons of things for kids to do (at a price, unless your interest lies solely in visiting the beautiful and adjacent Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.) The layout of this resort is lovely, and the golf course is meticulously maintained. However. However.

When we got there, it was warm and rather odd-smelling inside, so I wanted to open a window in the kitchen. I pulled up the blinds and let them drop: the handle for opening the window was encrusted with kitchen grease and general filth. The window had soap spots on it, splashed up from the sink below. So I went to open the dining room window, and the screen fell out. (The other window had no screen at all.) I gave up and let the air conditioner run instead.

At the bottom of the stairs (the units are 3 levels) outside the bathroom, there was water coming up from between the tiles. We thought it was our friends' children having left their wet bathing suits there; this was not the case. The water came up from somewhere below the floor. This probably explains why there were ants in the bathroom. Two different kinds, too. Small brown ones and big black carpenter ants, running in and out of the cracks in the bathroom tiles and grouting. I also saw ants on the dining room table, which rather disgusted me.

The stove has no vent, so if you cook something and it gets smoky, you might well set off a fire alarm. We didn't, but we were quick to open the door and, yes, the dining room window. Another thing about the stove: it's situated such that you can't open the utensil drawer or the dishwasher without first opening the oven door a little.

Watch out when you're washing dishes or showering: the hot water is easily hot enough to cause a painful scalding with just a little movement of the faucet.

The beds are hard, and the pillows are reminiscent of sandbags. The bed coverings consist of a sheet and a bedspread. I'm not too comfortable using a bedspread as my sole blanket, because they are not commonly washed as frequently nor as thoroughly as other bedding. There should be a separate, light blanket.

The chairs are comfortable and there are lots of them. The back of the couch, however, was coming undone; the staples had fallen out, and this part faced the dining room. The carpet is stained and in need of immediate replacement.

So, what was good? Well, the landscaping is beautiful. There's a lovely little vest-pocket park perfectly suited for reading, with two overhanging weeping willows reflecting in a weed-choked pond. There are three pool areas, and they are all good pools. The people we met at the resort, from workers to guests, were all very friendly and neighborly. And the resort is located just outside the Water Gap National Recreation Area, so some great picnic grounds along the Delaware are just a ten minute ride away. If you're willing to explore the area, you'll find a lot to like. It's just not likely that you'll appreciate this resort if you have a unit like we had.

One final thing: they will offer you wifi at the rate of $10 / day, per device. So if you have two laptops and a tablet, that's $30 a day. That's highway robbery.

Room Tip: All the units are the same: 3 levels. They all are in decent locations; you can't really go wro...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank at78rpm
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
First and foremost please allow me to apologize for the less than desirable stay here at our resort. I only wish that you had notified our Front Desk, or Guest Services Director to ensure that you had a most enjoyable vacation. Our goal is to accommodate anyone and everyone the best possible way.

I have also asked our Quality Assurance Team to try and determine the villa number in which you stayed so that a complete inspection can be done. I can assure you that their reports are extremely detailed and any issues found, including those you have made note of, will be addressed. Our inspection process is usually quite thorough and I would apologize for any shortfalls in our more typical standards of presentation on this occasion. We are continuously working hard to improve our resort and currently have an aggressive villa improvement program in place.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Hooksett, New Hampshire
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We should have known when we pulled up to our unit and saw the large construction dumpster greeting us. It would be understandable if it was full of construction debris from the "remodeling", but it was over flowing with garbage (and flies). Great start, especially in the hot humid weather. We stayed in a two bedroom villa. The a/c worked, kinda. In the bottom level where the bedrooms were it was about 62 degrees. As you went up, so did the temp. My kids in the loft were sweating at nite, while we were freezing down stairs. There was no adjusting the thermostat. It was on or off. Speaking off freezing, on the bed was a sheet and an old thin polyester bed spread. I thought I found some blankets in the closet but soon saw that they were extra mattress pads. We used them as blankets to avoid frost bite. This was a time share exchange for us. In the 15 years of using our time shares, this was by far the worst. We asked to be moved to a different unit and were told nothing was available until Monday. I asked for the dumpster to be removed and was told they would take care of it. Almost forgot the carpet. We could not walk on it with out shoes on. It was ripped stained and dirty. We saw sales people showing customers around and thought they had to be kidding. What could they show them? Every thing we saw needed a lot of attention. If they issued us a trash bag when we checked in on Saturday and asked us to pick up any trash we saw while walking around the "resort", it would have been full by Wednesday. It unbelievable how people leave trash behind. That says more about the clientele than the resort.
So Monday we went to our newer unit. It was better but still had the same A/C issue. We did have actual blankets in this unit along with supplies in the kitchen that the other unit didn't. There were holes in the stairway wall, broken cabinet drawers and broken glass under the front edge of the fridge. Where the trash cans are in the kitchen, up against a wall, you can see stains on the wall from where people throw trash into the barrels. The good news.... A somewhat cleaner carpet, no rips and we could walk on it with out shoes on. The new unit also had a beautiful view of the Algee filled pond with garbage floating in it. Foam cups and plastic bottles. Two of the three fountains in the pond worked. We also had to be careful not to walk in any poop from the geese that surrounded the pond. The weather was great the week we were there so we used the pool a lot. The thing I noticed at the pool was we never saw any staff there. A couple times there was someone handing out towels (when they had them). We skimmed the pool ourselves to get the bugs and hair out. The restroom near the pool had this awful smell that we couldn't place. Beer bottle caps on the pool deck. Ice cream truck came to the pool and ran out of ice cream! They advertise that you can get sports equipment from the Valley Station. Called to get a basketball but were told they were all signed out. They are supposed to be returned by 8 each night. Called when they opened the next day and still no basketball. On day three they said they talked to the manager and said they are tiring to get more basketballs. Two of the guest who signed them out had checked out and didn't return them. Day four we got a basketball.
We drove around the estate and found where the sales people must be taking customers. There are some nice units in the newer sections. There is also a new welcome center where you can get free wifi when it is working. Just out of curiosity, we kept driving by the dumpster near the first unit and it wasn't moved until Wednesday, four days after I asked. Constantly heard people saying their keys didn't work. Ours stopped working the day before we left. The front desk said the keys were fine and she would have maintenance come take a look at the lock. He said my keys needed to be replaced. I asked him to tell the front desk and luckily he just got the keys for me from his office rather than deal with the front desk himself. Played a great round of golf at a fantastic price! Tree ventures ropes course was great too. The younger staff seemed to be happier and more willing to help than the older staff members. We had a great vacation despite our stay at the villas at the fairways and the tree tops.

Room Tip: Check your room before you accept it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank scottsN4543VR
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
I sincerely apologize that you had a less than desirable stay with us.

I was disappointed to hear of the concerns that you had made mention of. These items should indeed have been noted and corrected prior to the room being released for check-in. Our inspection process is usually quite thorough and I would apologize for any shortfalls in our more typical standards of presentation on this occasion. I have also passed along your concerns to our Manager of Housekeeping so that he can discuss your comments with her staff.

I have asked our Quality Assurance Team to do a thorough inspection on Villas you occupied. I can assure you that their reports are extremely detailed and any issues found, including those you have made note of, will be addressed by our Preventative Maintenance Team.

We are consistently working to maintain and upgrade our resort. Our staff work diligently to ensure our guests are given the experience they deserve. I hope that you will take time in the future to visit us again and see the improvements we have made.

In the meantime, I would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Travellers are raving about these East Stroudsburg hotels

Woodstock, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We made the reservation thinking this was just a hotel. Come to find out it is an actual resort, dated.....but what the heck, we did Tie Dye T Shirts and the Activity Center had an Ice Cream Social, played basketball went swimming in many of the pools on the property. I think we paid about $100 per night.....what a steal at that price!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. We sincerely appreciate the feed back we receive from our guests and owners. I was happy to hear that you had a more than satisfying stay here with us at The Fernwood Resort and The Villas at TreeTops and Fairway. Our Resort has plenty of activities for all ages. I’m was happy to read that you and your family had a chance to experience some of them.

We hope to see you in the future for an even better and unbelievable stay here at our resort.
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Here for a family reunion. Our feet are black from walking on the carpet. My 1 year old had black feet and hands. Horrible customer service after checking in to a room without a/c. Do not recommend this for anyone it had been one disappointment after another.

Stayed July 2014
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I do apologize for the poor level of customer service and the cleanliness of the accommodation I can assure this is not our normal standards.
We are continuously working on improving the resort from not only our own observations but also the valuable feedback we obtain from our guests. Our goal is to provide total guest satisfaction.

I have contacted our Quality Assurance Team to try and determine which villa you stayed in, so that a thorough inspection can be completed with regard to the problems you listed. These items should indeed have been noted and corrected prior to the unit being released for check-in. Our inspection process is usually quite thorough and I would apologize for any shortfalls in our more typical standards of presentation on this occasion.

We hope too see you in the future for a much better stay here at TreeTops and Fairway
Jersey
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We've been going to Fernwood for the last 6 or 7 years, usually around Thanksgiving vacation. We get the 3 bedroom units and they are awesome. Large, fully equipped, clean and a nice view of the mountains. The bedroom even has a fireplace, sauna and Jacuzzi. There are 2 indoor pools (outdoor pools as well if you come in the summer), 2 arcades, kids activities and a few restaurants on property...and a bar. They have snow tubing, horse back riding and other activities, as well as organized activities for the kids. I would highly recommend this resort to families.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Our staff takes great pride in satisfying our guests and owners here at the resort. Our goal is to satisfy our guests and owners above and beyond their expectation. I was very appreciative to hear that you enjoyed the three-bedroom accommodation and the amenities on the resort. I can assure you we are continuously making improvements to the Resort. We hope to see you again soon for another wonder trip here at the Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway
Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We read all of the reviews prior to going so we were worried. I called ahead and reservations agreed to make sure a supervisor checked our unit before we got there to ensure cleanliness. While you can tell that the units need some updating mostly on the exterior, I can say that our unit was CLEAN. There was plenty to do for the kids and adults (Tree Ventures is a must do). While we were there we even saw maintenance working on some of the units exteriors power washing, painting and replacing wood. We had a 2 bedroom unit that is really 3 with the loft with 2 twin beds (my daughter loved the spiral staircase and bridge to her castle). I thought the price was very reasonable for the amount of space we had and since cleanliness was our most important priority we were very happy with our stay. We will be back next year and bringing friends.

3 Thank Karen C
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for choosing The Fernwood Resort and the Villas at Tree Tops and Fairway for your vacation. Our main goal is for all our guests to have an enjoyable time while visiting our family-oriented resort.

Our villa accommodations, Tree Tops and Fairway are designed for all to enjoy families, couples and singles alike. We pride ourselves in offering many varied activities right on property so that families can enjoy quality time together or separately should you choose to do so.

Our resort does have an ongoing refurbishment and a preventive maintenance program, as well as a Quality Assurance Team that takes great pride in making all of our guests vacation experience the best it can be.

We look forward to welcoming you again next year.
Binghamton
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Beautiful setting, great and attentive staff, but something is sorely missing. The property has such good bones but is in dire need of general maintenance/upkeep/paint/tlc/etc. Non functioning AC, screen doors popped off, an interior door coming apart, old/tired fixtures, beat carpeting, furniture with exposed springs, mattress held together with duct tape. We really like Fernwood and want to give it more stars, if it warranted it. It was clean, the staff did try to rectify all of our problems but I really am kind of tired of the 1990s. I am reviewing the Villas at Fairway; not Treetop or the hotel itself. I know things are changing as we speak but this was my second visit in three years and I heard the story three years ago.

Room Tip: There are a few "rehabbed units", ask for one of these. Also both of my rentals although...
1 Thank Mark B
Lherman2012, Customer Service at Fernwood Resort, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
I sincerely apologize that you had a less than desirable stay at our resort. Our inspection process is usually quite thorough and I would apologize for any shortfalls in our more typical standards of presentation on this occasion. Although, I was very happy to hear that the villa was clean prior to arrival and that our staff was trying to accommodate you as best as possible.

We are continuously working hard to improve our resort and currently have an aggressive villa improvement program. I have asked our Quality Assurance Team to try and determine the villa number in which you stayed so that a complete inspection can be done. I can assure you that their reports are extremely detailed and any issues found, including those you have made note of, will be addressed.

We hope you will come stay with us in the near future to see the improvements that have been made.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,000 reviews
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Shawnee on Delaware

Been to Fernwood Resort? Share your experiences!