“Very Good..Compared to the reviews”

Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Very Good..Compared to the reviews”
Reviewed 13 November 2007

Despite the negative reviews given by the other guests, I have to say that I had a wonderful time at Shawnee. It was very clean and the staff at the reception area were very welcoming and friendly. We stood at the North Slope 26A and I must say that I was very much pleased. The house was up to date and very clean. When I questioned one of the ladies who worked there about the negative reviews, she simply replied we are now operating under new management. If that helps, that explains why the difference. I hope others can give it a chance as I too was was hesistant, at first, but I am glad I followed through with my reservations because it was well worth it. By the way I had a 14month old child with me and she also had a lot of fun...

• Liked — The Cleanliness
  • Disliked — The negative reviews of others
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank MsCortes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
middletown
Reviewed 3 August 2007

I used to frequent Shawnee annually as a pre-teen/teen. I remembered the resort with fond memories, so when I recently began looking for a close vacation for my own family of 5, I was confident that Shawnee would be appropriate.
The resort has not been updated since the last time I visited 20+ years ago. And I understand that you get what you pay for, but at the very least I expect cleanliness! I spent the first night sweeping old rice grains and food crumbs out of the kitchen and trying to mop with clorox so that my eight month old didn't have to crawl on a dirty floor. I also vacumed the filty blue carpet with a vacum that barley worked. I did call the front desk to complain and asked if they could give me a better working vacum. they never did. Several of the towels were stained and the larger bathroom's shower had a large amount of mildew so I had to use the bathroom designated for my 5 and 7 year old. I was very uncomfortable as was my husband, who usually does not complain. The microwave and stove had a film of grease on the handles and many of the blinds were visably filty with either stains or dust/dirt. I could go on and on..... Oh, there was also an unidentified stench in the unit, and if you wanted the AC to work upstaris, you'd have to make the downstairs an icebox....
On the more positive side, my kids had a ball with all the activites they participated in OUTSIDE of the resort, we went to a water park, horseback riding and canoeing. The two pools that the resort offered were way to small for the amount of guest that were staying, they have 100's of villas. I did notice the resort employs mostly older teens/young adults, even the housekeepers looked no older than 19-22. So needless to say customer service may not be high on thier list of priorities. They are however trying hard to push the time share.... Don't even bother, we turned down the presentation and the $100 gift it would result in if we attended. We were turned off from day 1. In the end, we happily left the night before we were due to check out and were relieved to return to our own clean house! Skip Shawnee, find another hotel in th Poconos!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank lizzy11wayne

Travellers are raving about these East Stroudsburg hotels

North Carolina
Reviewed 25 June 2007

We visited during June 16-23 2007. Family of 4 with 2 teenage sons. We stayed in a 2br in the older Fairway village. The room was very spacious, townhome-like but older and it showed as corners were dirty and just about all of the furniture was cheap or old. We did like very much the shade trees and the campground like feel of the village. Trees were everywhere and the cobblestone/paved path thru the resort invited much outdoor walking and playing. There was a tennis court within walking that can be used although it is property of the neighboring Shawnee Inn. The Shanee Inn outdoor pool within walking was closed due to repair. The golf driving range was within walking. Every other amenity required a car. The entire Shawnee community comprises of 5-6 villages totaling aver 600 units. Although we had access to the other villages amenities we still had to drive about a mile or so to get there. We spent most of our time at the Welcome Activites Center where they had an indoor gym, a very large game room, an indoor and outdoor pool, shuffleboard and picnic areas w/ grills.
Good Restaurants required minimum 5 miles of driving and driving on the Interstate. We ate at Alaska Pete's and loved it. Steaks, ribs and seafood was great although a bit pricey.
We also drove for about an hour due East to a park and ride location and bused into Manhattan for a $37 total bus cost for the 4 of us. Shawnee advertises this same trip leaving from the resort for $65 per person.
The most fun thing we did was canoe the nearby (1 mi) Delaware river. Option of 3 mi, 6mi or 9miles trip for the same price of about $25 per person. By the 7th day we all were ready to return home as we felt like we had done everything that Shawnee had to offer.

• Liked — the delaware river and shade trees
  • Disliked — the cheap furniture and distance from amenities
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank vinster007
NY
Reviewed 10 April 2007

We were looking for a weekend away from NY and came upon Shawnee on-line. I have stayed at Time Shares before so I was hopeful. The villa itself was old and outdated, though clean and roomy. The heat in the bottom of the unit didn't work so we were cold, the reception on the tv was terrible--could barely see, and the VCR was not connected (we rented a VCR and they did agree to refund our money). We also had to leave on the last day at 9:00am, strip our own beds and clean all the dishes. Then on the day we were trying to leave, i had to attend a TimeShare presentation (which I agreed to--but not after we had to check out at an unreasonable hour). And to make matters worse, both of my children developed a huge rash from the enormous amount of Chlorine put into the pool. Both their skin was painfully red and dry.
The kids loved the size of the villa and enjoyed the pool and game room. Even the ping pong table was run down--the net was drooping badly.

I was told at the presentation that Wyndam was trying to make this better. But by that time I was so completely turned off, I just wanted to leave.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank LNTravler
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos

Been to Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort? Share your experiences!