“Bed Bugs! Bed Bugs! Bed Bugs! Bed Bugs! Bed Bugs!”

Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 January 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Shawnee Village Resort with some friends as part of their timeshare. I believe we stayed in Shawnee Crestview which I was told were villas. It was #299. This is the worst experience I have ever had.
On the first night, we woke about 2 am to find bed bugs. We woke our friends up and they had bed bugs as well. Our friends called for a night manager only to get an impolite security guard because there was no staff on duty.
To make a long story short:
We stayed awake the rest of the night in the kitchen.
The management provided the bare minimum in service but did say their insurance would cover medical visits and exterminators if our houses became infested... but I'll believe it when I see it (hopefully I won't have to see it).
I spent 8 hours of my vacation washing clothes to hopefully kill any bed bugs hitching a ride.
My friends did get a full reimbursement because of the bed bugs.
I lost about $200 in luggage because I did not want to take my bags home and the resort wouldn't clean/replace them. I'd have been happy with some cheap gym bags. They gave me clear plastic garbage bags... so much for privacy.
Other than the bed bugs, the stay was OK. The rooms were comfortable, but the heat was so noisy, you had to blast the volume on the TV. The smaller bedroom had two beds that left little room for anything else. This is why we put our bags on the other bed... big mistake. The kitchen was decent, I thought the dishwasher was cheap though. Also, the wireless had a very poor signal.

If you think you can get a room without bed bugs, this isn't a bad place to stay. The management is poor and either doesn't care or is inexperienced. I would have given it 4 stars, but their poor handling of a bad situation reduced my rating for Shawnee Village Resort.

Room Tip: Check for bed bugs and don't put your luggage on the beds.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Joe H
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We have been coming to Shawnee every year for MLK weekend for the past 4 years. We exchange through RCI so my only disappointment is we book for the week and only stay Sat and Sunday nights. There is no Friday check in or I would feet better about the transaction. Aside from that we enjoy our stay. We have now stayed at Fairway twice and River Village once. The rooms are just fine. In a 2 bedroom there is plenty of space with enough beds so that each of my 3 kids can have their own bed and my husband and I get a room. This year we just returned from our stay at the Fairway. It had a pullout sofa that one of my kids used because nobody wanted to share a bed. The kitchen was fine but we never really cooked. I made french toast for breakfast and there were plenty of kitchen supplies. I did the wash before coming home and did not have to do any laundry after getting home.
The best thing about the resort for us is the recreation staff. We ski most days then head over to the recreation center. The kids go for a swim in the nice pool, we can jump in the hottub if we want. The kdis then can do the planned activities with the staff while my husband and I relax and watch football. Activities this weekend included a game of dodgeball, movies, an ice cream social and Wii games. I am so relaxed knowing they are having fun in activities right next to where we can watch a game! I'm not sure I can talk them into doing this trip again but for a short weekend, it's close enough to home and loaded with activities.
We read great reviews about The Gem and Keystone and decided to try it. We read they have a Wings special on Sundays and really looked forward to it. Well, I don't want to do a whole review about the restaurant except to say --They were out of wings! The food was good otherwise but what a letdown. We were really thinking we could watch the game with the kids, try their mocrobrew and have wings. Better luck next time.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank notnow
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We are Presidential Reserve owners and we chose Crestview because of a recommendation of another Wyndham sales rep. The Cresview units are more like what you expect of Wyndham properties. We have stayed here twice in the 2 bedroom units...very nice except you have to pay AT&T for internet access...$30 for the week and it is s-l-o-w. No free internet at the rec/check in center either. The exercise area is lacking equipment or free weights, the pool is ok, the miniature golf is not the best. I would not spend my time at the rec center. We stayed in a 4 bedroom unit for family Christmas (12 plus an infant plus 2 day visitors). For whatever reason, the appliances in this unit weren't as sturdy as the 2 bedroom units. The dishwasher was horrible! Some of the back splash tiles fell off behind the stove. I found this funny...the chairs for the counters were too short to be used at the counter and too high to be used at the table. The thermostat for half the condo was on the inside of one of the bedrooms. The other was in the main room.

The staff was very good to us. We moved from a 2 bedroom unit to the 4 bedroom unit. They allowed us to stay in the 2 bedroom til the 4 bedroom was ready. I don't think they normally do this, but we had a recent surgery individual with us and I asked nicely. We were called as soon as the new unit was cleaned and we moved. We went to the "update" to receive the gift card to cover the cost of the internet. Session was good and no pressure to purchase as we are not purchasing any more. We needed more toilet paper and were told we had to come to the center for the rolls...not quite the presidential treatment we get at other places. We were only allowed 4 keys for the unit with 12 people. ODD.

We did make use of the free shuttle to Shawnee Mountain for a bit of skiing. The driver was very nice. Not much of the mountain was open because of the lack of snow, but we were able to ski all the runs in a little over a half hour, dodging folks, some of whom were skiing in the grass. They provided a lot of entertainment. DO NOT SHOP AT THE WALMART. It is a disgusting place. I don't know why the desk recommended it. Weis is a decent place to shop for groceries.

GPS cords took us nowhere near the check in center. Look for Ridge Top Road off Buttermilk Falls. Turn Left and pass under the stone archway to the check in area.

I was originally nervous to stay here because of the reviews here, but the Crestview condos are newer than the others. Hopefully Wyndham will be able to bring the other areas up to snuff.

9  Thank SkiBug5
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My family (2 parents and 3 college age children and on teen) stayed here for our Christmas vacation. We were at the golf resort villas and though they were rather dated (Brady Bunch comes to mind) they were clean and maintained. We had no complaints. We did wish that we had been able to use the indoor pool at the Inn rather then having to drive to the hospitality building (not in walking distance) it was still a nice trip. The pool and sauna were well maintained, and bingo night was a lot of fun. If you are looking for 4 star this is not for you, but if you are looking for clean and affordable this is it. We took a family vote and will return.

3  Thank Stefanie D
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Don't even think of making a reservation for any holiday. I made a reservations for three days in a two bedroom villa for the week between Christmas and New Years. They have an outrageous 30 day cancellation policy. I tried to cancel 32 days before check in and was met with a malfunctioning website (through which I should have been able to cancel) and an after hours recording on the reservation line. I tried the website again the following day to no avail. I called them on the day which would be 29 days prior to check in and they will not cancel the reservation and want to keep $1,100 for a room I won't be staying in over one day. Horrible customer service. Unreasonable policy.

4  Thank Teddy0915
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We arrived for our weekend getaway on a Friday night and it took 20 minutes to check in. When we got there the staff told us that we would have to switch rooms the next day. We did not understand why we would have to switch rooms because we were only going to be there two nights. We thought we would just dispute it when they called the next morning so we went on with our night. We knew the place would be outdated so we did not expect a lavish condo. We had a nice night of getting together with friends but we were not looking forward to the next day of having to switch rooms again. We had 8 people staying in the condo so it was a lot of stuff to move. The next morning we got a call around 10 wanting to know if we wanted to purchase a time share. We were just there for the weekend and did not want to buy a timeshare. After that they told us we would have to switch rooms even after going back and fourth about how much of an inconvenience it would be. We did not have a choice so we all packed up our bags and went to the main lobby to get the other keys. It took another 20 minutes for them to check us into the other room. We wasted an hour at least by packing all of our stuff, driving to the main lobby, checking in, and unpacking again. On just a weekend away it does not seem reasonable to make people move their stuff that much. We did not know when we booked the hotel that we would have to move half way through or else we probably would not have booked it. It was a total inconvenience and did not make any sense. We found it hard to believe that they could not have just given us a room that was open for two nights. When we got to the next room the master bathroom upstairs smelled like poop. It smelled like someone had just been in there right before we got there. The staff was so unfriendly and did not help with any questions that we had. They just made it seem like everything was out of their hands even though they should know which rooms were open and why we had to move. The hotel was unsatisfactory on all levels, we will not be returning, and you should not either.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank Kelly T
Reviewed 28 November 2011

It's taken me since August to calm down enough to write this review. I took vacation with my family, a party of seven. We stayed at Depuy Village. The Poconos are a beautiful place to visit. The Delaware Water Gap is also a beautiful area to visit. With all that said, thats probably going to be the last positive thing I say about this place.

We stayed from Sat to Friday August 13-21st. We arrived at 1530; mind you check-in was supposed to be at 1500. They told us that we could get in our unit by 1700 that the unit was being cleaned. I don't know who they hired to clean it because it had to be the dirtiest time share unit i've ever stayed in. There was so much dirt in the bathroom exhaust fan that it would not spin. The range hood was so Dirty I had reservations about cooking in the kitchen. There was more lint behind and beside the dryer, than in the lint trap. Lastly, and this one takes the cake. They had to be growing a mold collection because there were 2 dirrerent kinds of mold growing on the bottoms of the shower doors.

Well anyway, we got into our unit at 1730, thinking finally, we had a party of seven, and the front desk graced us with two whole keys, I asked could we get some more keys they said that they had keys on back order and to check back later on in the week. I went back Daily for the week and never got any more keys. Anyway, we ahd a party of 7 and there was only had enought bedding (sheets and blankets) for 5, although, we booked a unit that can sleep 8. Well, that would be great except for the fact that when we tryed to use the phone in the unit, surprise, surprise it didn't work. So, then my mother used her cell phone and called the front desk to make them aware that the phone didn't work, and get some more bedding. they said no one could come fix the phone till monday, but they would send housekeeping over to bring us bedding right away, this was at 1900 hours, the bedding finally got to the unit after 5 more calls at 2230 hours . Needless to say this place has great customer service(NOT).

On a positive note they did have nice pools and an activity center. the only problem with this is that we stayed approximately two miles away. We found out that they had a shuttle and that all you had to do is call it(yeah, right the phone is broke), we called they came and picked up the kids and went, wow this is great right, wrong... the center and the pools stay open to 2100-2200 nightly, the van stops running at 1730; really?? With all the people out of work they couldn't hire a second shift to run the van past 1730.

To sum up my experience, I can say that staying here was better than working for a week, The Poconos is beautiful, and let me not discourage you from going to this part of the country, JUST DON'T STAY HERE!!!! The desk people were not that helpful,We only got two keys for 7 of us, The unit was dirty...i've stayed in cleaner places in Kuwait during a sand storm, The customer service was lacking, The van only shuttled till 1730, and the units needed updating, cleaned , and new furniture.

Then after all of this, they are shocked when we don't want to buy a timeshare there....HAPPY TRAVELS.

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all costs!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank john w
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Shawnee on Delaware

Been to Wyndham Shawnee Village Resort? Share your experiences!