“Has gone downhill”
Review of Valenca - CLOSED

Valenca
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Northampton
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Like other reviewers have mentioned, the place has gone downhill since the new owners took over. The new owners did not have previous restaurant experience, and now the quality has suffered. It was worth going here and paying a premium when the service and food was 5-star. Now it will only impress and individual who thinks Applebees is 4-star.

4  Thank Rich B
There are newer reviews for Valenca

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Since moving to Easton, PA 2 years ago, I have been to Valenca restaurant about 6 times, both on personal and work-related dinners. After my first experience there 2 years ago, I was blown away by the amazing food and generous portions. The restaurant was also packed on weekends and it was difficult to find a table without a reservation. However, in the last 2 years, Valenca has changed ownership and the quality has significantly worsened.
Their signature and probably most popular dish is Salmon/Steak on the Stone where you get a raw slab of meat which you cook tableside yourself.
I visited Valenca last night with my husband for his birthday. He ordered the Salmon on the stone, which was the same as before (hard to screw up since you cook it yourself). I ordered the Entrée of the day which was red snapper stuffed with crab and polenta. The fish was DRY and the portion was small. This entrée was also a whopping $34. Many empty tables on a Saturday night.
For these two entrees and their signature cocktail, Valenca lemonade ($10), the total bill was $75. We felt underwhelmed and a bit cheated. Under this new management, we will not be returning to Valenca soon.

1  Thank Shelini S
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Valenca has great ambience and our first impression of the wait staff was very positive. We were greeted and our drink order was taken promptly. I ordered a wedge salad and my wife ordered a spinach salad; both were very tasty and the ingredients fresh. For a dinner entree, I chose the Picadinho and my wife chose tilapia. I asked our server, Naomi, to please hold the black olives (in the Picadinho) to which she agreed.

The Picadinho is advertised as pork, marinated filet tips and shrimp with potatoes and cilantro in a wine-based sauce. To my dismay, the Picadinho had a copious amount of black olives. The abundant use of cilantro was overpowering the rest of the dish; no subtle influences of wine or other seasonings were readily apparent. The beef was tough and overcooked, only two small shrimp and several flavorless pieces of pork were added with overcooked cubed potatoes. I finished only half of the serving.

My wife's tilapia arrived with an inordinate amount of string beans; no roasted vegetables as stated in the menu. A few minutes later, our server arrived with a plate of roasted vegetables stating that the chef had made a mistake. My wife did enjoy her meal.

One confusing aspect is the myriad of wait staff who arrived at the table. A different server for bread, drinks, et al. I'm often surprised by the lack of interest by wait staff in asking if you enjoyed your meal. No inquiries, only the offer of dessert and our check. Despite the visual appeal, there is no reason to go back to Valenca considering the wonderful assortment of fine dining available in Easton.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I joined friends for dinner. This place has great atmosphere and the food is great.

1  Thank Rick K
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

The steak on the stone was hit of our party. Usually think of this place for beautiful bar area and view. But food was impressive on this visit.