“Convenient location but cold!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Grand Eastonian Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Easton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brooklyn, New York
“Convenient location but cold!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Love the location and the room was very modern and clean, however the room (605) we stayed in appeared unfinished. The ceiling was exposed, a cold draft was coming in from the window, the floors were cold and most importantly there was no heat. The front desk said they would send someone up to check the thermostat while we were out for dinner, but that never got fixed. The walls are also very thin. I can hear the guy next door blowing his nose.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie S
Grand E, General Manager at Grand Eastonian Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your most recent stay at the Grand Eastonian Suites Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you encountered while staying at our property.

In regard to our ceilings and the appearance of them being unfinished, I can assure you that all of our guest rooms are complete. Our recently restored Historic Hotel was designed by a renowned architect with a modern loft style feel featuring bamboo hardwood floors, modern chic features and a New York loft style exposed beam ceilings.

We have reviewed your heating challenge with our Chief Engineer and have identified preventative measures to be sure this situation does not occur in the future.

Again I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Grand Eastonian Suites Hotel and hope we will be able to accommodate you once again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Pennsville, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here for Family Trip in February, 2014

CONS:

1. We waited over 20 minutes just to check in, and then the front desk clerk handed us our room keys and that was it. I had to ask which elevators to get on, where the pool was, if they sold tickets to Crayola factory, etc. This place is two blocks from Crayola and the clerk didn't even know if they sold tickets and how much they were!
2. We were out all day and came back and housekeeping did not clean our room, or give us fresh towels. They didn't even come in! When I called and asked, the front desk clerk (a young male) seemed bothered that I asked for housekeeping and he said "well how long are you staying and what do you need?" He said he would send someone up and he did and the housekeeper said she didn't come by b/c there was a "privacy" sign on our door, which was a TOTAL LIE! I've never even stayed at a hotel where housekeeping didn't at least come in and give you clean towels and refresh your toiletry items.
3. My husband and I both broke out in hives and rashes after using their pool. The pool water actually burned my skin, so their pool PH balance and chemicals were off. Also, this is supposed to be a heated indoor pool, but the water was very cold.
4. The couch in our room (702) was all stained up and I got bug bites on my back from sitting on it.
5. At 10:30pm, there was loud knocking on our door! It was a man and he said he was from housekeeping! It was unsettling to say the least. We didn't open our door and told him we didn't need housekeeping (they had already been sent up to us at 4:00pm when we called to complain), and he said the front desk sent him. I called the front desk (same arrogant young man) and he said that we requested it again. I told him we did not and he said that whoever came down earlier must have given him the wrong room number. This was so disturbing on so many levels.
6. When we checked out, I politely told the front desk clerk all of the above issues and she was really nice and told me she would see about having the couch removed and she would tell the manager about our experiences, but management never called us to apologize or anything!!! Unreal! Absolutely worst customer service ever!
7. There were bare foot print marks on the hardwood floors in our room when we checked in, so I don't think they moped the floors between customers.

PROS
1. Beautiful hotel, has great potential to be a 4 star property.
2. Our room was a 2 bedroom suite, but it was actually a full large modern condo, which a full kitchen, stocked with pots, pans, utensils, plates, glasses, coffee maker, toaster. I was able to cook a meal for my family instead of eating out every night, which was nice and saved $.
3. Two full bathrooms, the master one with a huge deep soaking whirlpool tub was very nice.
4. Green Harvest - breakfast/coffee place on first floor of hotel, was pricey but nice and we really enjoyed the smoothies there.
5. Able to walk to Crayola Experience from the hotel, only about 2 blocks away.
6. Although I didn't check it out, there is also a salon on site, which is another nice touch to have in a hotel.
7. Two doors from this hotel is a Brazilian Steakhouse, which we ate at and enjoyed very much. Customer service at this restaurant was super!
8. Across the street, is a Natural Food Store, which I was impressed with. Lots of selection for healthy snacks for kids, etc.

To sum it up, this place could be amazing...management has some work to do and I hope they take my review to heart and make the necessary adjustments and train their staff and housekeeping on what customer service truly means. Would we return? Only if I could see from the reviews that there has been improvements to their customer service and housekeeping policies. Thanks for reading! Hopefully, your experience will be better than ours. :/

Room Tip: If staying in room 702, ask if the couch has been replaced or cleaned recently. Other than that, th...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sherilee36
Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback! It is only through our guest's response, such as yourself, that we can improve on our product and service. This was a period when record snowfall was still paralyzing the area and posing any number of challenges, but we strive to maintain perfect service in all circumstances, and must apologize if there were any details that were lacking during your stay. I have already reviewed with our staff every concern you raised and taken corrective action. Should you be traveling through the Easton, PA area again, I would welcome the opportunity to make things right and make your next stay with us most enjoyable.
North Stonington, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

The staff was polite and prompt. The queen suite was clean, spacious and comfortable. It appears that they have done some work since the negative reviews were written. Pleasantly surprised. the restrain in the lobby (unaffiliated with the hotel) leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mike M
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

It's one of the few gems that has pluses all over the place. It's modern, clean, conveniently located at center of the town (a coupe blocks from Crayonla), free parking, free continental breakfast. There are no pools / views, but that's not what you are looking for anyways.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andre
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I can't say enough about this place. We stay in Easton often but this was our first time here however, it will not be our last. We were in town with a family of 5 to visit the rest of our large family. George the GM here and all his staff were the best. Very competent, truly friendly and always very, very helpfull. They went out of thier way to make sure everything was perfect and that we all enjoyed everything! They will never know how much I appreciated all thier efforts. The Hotel is FABULOUS from the lobby to rooms to pool, work out room, ping pong table, breakfast buffet, everything. My reviews are often critical but I couldn't find anything wrong with this place. Everything in this hotel is roomy, spacious, up to date, comfortable. We loved evrything and the staff was always on thier toes to keep it this way. STAY HERE~ you will be as happy as us if you do !!!

Room Tip: Room 203, the 3 Br suite is larger then most houses and truly amazing !
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank James T
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand Eastonian for NYE. Here's the good news: clean, nice list of amenities, obviously well maintained, and was actually the same price as everything else we looked at and had parking. However, there were some VERY basic things wrong with our stay that made me wonder who on earth manages this place. 1. No tissues, no water glasses. I have a cold and had to blow my nose on toilet paper. And there was only one plastic cup. Not a huge deal but really annoying especially at a "high end" hotel. Even motel 6 gives you cups for two people and a box of tissues. 2. No temperature control, we both woke up sweltering.
3. Lovely whirlpool tub - not enough hot water to run a bath. I had to tell my bf he couldn't have a hot shower before we left because I had tried to take a bath - which was cold bc the hold water ran out about halfway up the tub. 4. Squeaky bed. Really? 5. Ancient tube tv - not that we were trying to watch anything, but if your image is "high end" you can trade that relic in for something a little less 90s for less than $300 at best buy. It was the first thing we noticed when we opened the door, simply for being so out of place. 5. I did not see one single staff member other than the one clerk who checked us in and out. Overall, I would stay here again only if we got another good rate like this one solely for proximity to where we go visit when we are here but they need to address these very basic guest comfort issues. It makes the ownership look like they got handed the keys to the business yesterday.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KippyA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We checked in here for our weekend stay. We were on the 10th floor and it was sweltering! There was no thermostat to regulate the temperature at all and we could only open the window a couple inches. The room was also a tight squeeze and did allow you an area to lounge easily. It felt very tiny. Also the location of the hotel is less than desirable. We had to check out because we couldn't stand the heat and there was no room available for our entire 3 night stay (we would've had to move rooms the 3rd night). The bathroom was the best thing about the hotel. We ended up going to the Hampton 10 miles away and would highly recommend it!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Grand E, General Manager at Grand Eastonian Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
We are very sorry your room was warm. Our building had a few rooms without thermostats, but a major HVAC project is underway to address that and the issue has been corrected in most of the units now, and will be complete for the remaining ones shortly. The rooms where this issue arose are those that were split off from suites that had extra space, for guests who wanted a smaller option at a lower price. Our suites, by contrast, are quite large, and all have a kitchen, living room and dining room, as well as a thermostat. We hope you will come back and try one of our suites, or try one of our smaller, more economical units again, with the new HVAC improvements in place.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Easton
Hampton Inn Easton
Days Inn Easton
#7 of 7 in Easton
Hampton Inn and Suites Bethlehem
TownePlace Suites Bethlehem Easton

Been to Grand Eastonian Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!