“horrible experience”

Grand Eastonian Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Easton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I were in Easton for concert at State Theater so chose this hotel since it was closeby. Our room 604 had a suite adjoining it (room 603). The walls were so paper thin that when 603 was occupied by at least 3 couples there music and conversation could have been in our room. Called desk at 11pm and they tried to quiet them down but more noise ensued. At 2:30 am the party was still going on and the smoke odor which started to permeate our room was not cigarettes. Called front desk again. They sent up security. Some of their party friends left but it was after 4:30 am till there was quiet. Received that night's stay free and received apologetic phone calls from hotel owner & manager. Promised to send us a complimentary future stay letter but have never received it. Would we stay here again? Absolutely not!

Room Tip: Choose a room isolated from all other rooms. Walls are paper thin.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank eileen1914
Grand E, General Manager at Grand Eastonian Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

As we explained to you at the time, we are terribly sorry that you did not have a peaceful rest on one of the three nights you spent at our hotel. By way of apology, we did not charge you for the night and also offered an additional complimentary night for a future stay, which you likely have received by now. That said, we want to assure you and others that this is not a typical experience in our hotel. It resulted from an unlucky confluence of events that has occurred only once before in our six year history and measures are in place to prevent any future reoccurrence. The noise you heard was caused by a large unauthorized gathering in the room next to yours. Our hotel has a quiet hours policy at night, which is posted in the building, and since early 2014 we also require all guests registering at our hotel to sign a statement saying “The undersigned agrees and understands [t]at parties are not permitted in the suites during quiet hours (11 p.m. to 7 a.m.). Violators will be asked to leave, without refund, and/or required to pay a $150 penalty.” We have a no smoking policy as well, with similar penalties attached. Unfortunately, the night you were at the hotel, human error intervened and our staff did not adequately enforce these policies. Disciplinary measures have been taken as a result and staff should do better in the future. A second unlucky coincidence the night you stayed was that when this large, unauthorized party occurred, you happened to be in one of the few units in our hotel that-- we recently learned-- are not as fully sound resistant as the other rooms. The room in question was one of those that were subdivided to allow us to meet increasing demand. Contrary to what we were led to expect, the materials used for this do not appear to buffer sound well enough to ensure quiet in circumstances like those that occurred that night. As soon as we were alerted to this sound issue, we began working on corrections. Improved sound insulation is being added to all such units and has been scheduled for the unit you stayed in this coming week. Our goal is to continuously improve our building and our service, and we thank you for the feedback that allowed us to do so.

There are newer reviews for Grand Eastonian Hotel & Suites

Reviewed 22 February 2014

For my birthday,my husband bought me a night alone in a one-bedroom suite...(if you have kids, you know how wonderful it is to have a night away all to yourself)...I arrived shortly after check-in time. The front desk clerk greeted me with a smile and was very pleasant. He informed me that they overbooked the suite, so they upgraded me...to their largest suite...a 3 bedroom condo! It wasn't until I walked into my "room" that I realized that I was the entire 3rd floor! This "suite" was actually larger than my house! Well, of course I checked out every nook and cranny and the first two things that came to my mind (other than huge!) were "clean" and "stylish". I was actually trying to find something that wasn't cleaned well...but I just couldn't! The floors were bamboo hardwood and the ceilings are unfinished...just open painted concrete, but I thought it added to the charm. There were two thermostats for heat/air...one in the living room and one in the master bedroom. The entire suite stayed a very comfortable temperature. The master bath had a jacuzzi tub which did take quite a while to fill since the hot water only stays hot if the faucet is turned only 1/3 of the way...but that didn't bother me at all. The shower had great pressure and hot water. I slept in the master bedroom and the bed was soft and comfortable. Surprisingly, the pillows were full and plentiful as well. I went downstairs later that night to check out the fitness room and pool. Again, clean. I ended up swimming for a while and was the only one in the pool. The location of this hotel is also very convenient. It's in a decent section of downtown and there are so many restaurants within a block! It's also right across the street from a lovely riverside park. The front desk clerk who checked me out of the hotel was also very nice. I live locally, so I don't have much reason to stay again anytime soon, but if I get another chance for a night alone, I'd book this place in a heartbeat. I also feel comfortable recommending it to anyone who is coming to the area for a visit.

Room Tip: not your cookie cutter hotel room. This place has lots of character to it! Unless you're just lo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank alphamomof2
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The Grand Eastonian Suites Hotel in Easton, Pennsylvania is a tribute to days gone by minus Bell Hops, etc..
The Desk Clerks were pleasant and the hotel was spotless. The rooms have been done over - hardwood floors, gleaming bathrooms, walk-in closets (A definite sign of a GRAND, OLD Hotel).
The ceilings in the rooms show the concrete and pipes which the Desk Clerk said added to the ambiance.
My bathroom had a hot tub and a large shower and two sinks.
The hotel is downtown and you can walk the streets shopping, etc..Hotel parking and Continental Breakfast are included.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SeamusOmaoflhbhail
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Love the location and the room was very modern and clean, however the room (605) we stayed in appeared unfinished. The ceiling was exposed, a cold draft was coming in from the window, the floors were cold and most importantly there was no heat. The front desk said they would send someone up to check the thermostat while we were out for dinner, but that never got fixed. The walls are also very thin. I can hear the guy next door blowing his nose.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie S
Grand E, General Manager at Grand Eastonian Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your most recent stay at the Grand Eastonian Suites Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you encountered while staying at our property.

In regard to our ceilings and the appearance of them being unfinished, I can assure you that all of our guest rooms are complete. Our recently restored Historic Hotel was designed by a renowned architect with a modern loft style feel featuring bamboo hardwood floors, modern chic features and a New York loft style exposed beam ceilings.

We have reviewed your heating challenge with our Chief Engineer and have identified preventative measures to be sure this situation does not occur in the future.

Again I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Grand Eastonian Suites Hotel and hope we will be able to accommodate you once again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here for Family Trip in February, 2014

CONS:

1. We waited over 20 minutes just to check in, and then the front desk clerk handed us our room keys and that was it. I had to ask which elevators to get on, where the pool was, if they sold tickets to Crayola factory, etc. This place is two blocks from Crayola and the clerk didn't even know if they sold tickets and how much they were!
2. We were out all day and came back and housekeeping did not clean our room, or give us fresh towels. They didn't even come in! When I called and asked, the front desk clerk (a young male) seemed bothered that I asked for housekeeping and he said "well how long are you staying and what do you need?" He said he would send someone up and he did and the housekeeper said she didn't come by b/c there was a "privacy" sign on our door, which was a TOTAL LIE! I've never even stayed at a hotel where housekeeping didn't at least come in and give you clean towels and refresh your toiletry items.
3. My husband and I both broke out in hives and rashes after using their pool. The pool water actually burned my skin, so their pool PH balance and chemicals were off. Also, this is supposed to be a heated indoor pool, but the water was very cold.
4. The couch in our room (702) was all stained up and I got bug bites on my back from sitting on it.
5. At 10:30pm, there was loud knocking on our door! It was a man and he said he was from housekeeping! It was unsettling to say the least. We didn't open our door and told him we didn't need housekeeping (they had already been sent up to us at 4:00pm when we called to complain), and he said the front desk sent him. I called the front desk (same arrogant young man) and he said that we requested it again. I told him we did not and he said that whoever came down earlier must have given him the wrong room number. This was so disturbing on so many levels.
6. When we checked out, I politely told the front desk clerk all of the above issues and she was really nice and told me she would see about having the couch removed and she would tell the manager about our experiences, but management never called us to apologize or anything!!! Unreal! Absolutely worst customer service ever!
7. There were bare foot print marks on the hardwood floors in our room when we checked in, so I don't think they moped the floors between customers.

PROS
1. Beautiful hotel, has great potential to be a 4 star property.
2. Our room was a 2 bedroom suite, but it was actually a full large modern condo, which a full kitchen, stocked with pots, pans, utensils, plates, glasses, coffee maker, toaster. I was able to cook a meal for my family instead of eating out every night, which was nice and saved $.
3. Two full bathrooms, the master one with a huge deep soaking whirlpool tub was very nice.
4. Green Harvest - breakfast/coffee place on first floor of hotel, was pricey but nice and we really enjoyed the smoothies there.
5. Able to walk to Crayola Experience from the hotel, only about 2 blocks away.
6. Although I didn't check it out, there is also a salon on site, which is another nice touch to have in a hotel.
7. Two doors from this hotel is a Brazilian Steakhouse, which we ate at and enjoyed very much. Customer service at this restaurant was super!
8. Across the street, is a Natural Food Store, which I was impressed with. Lots of selection for healthy snacks for kids, etc.

To sum it up, this place could be amazing...management has some work to do and I hope they take my review to heart and make the necessary adjustments and train their staff and housekeeping on what customer service truly means. Would we return? Only if I could see from the reviews that there has been improvements to their customer service and housekeeping policies. Thanks for reading! Hopefully, your experience will be better than ours. :/

Room Tip: If staying in room 702, ask if the couch has been replaced or cleaned recently. Other than that, th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sherilee36

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback! It is only through our guest's response, such as yourself, that we can improve on our product and service. This was a period when record snowfall was still paralyzing the area and posing any number of challenges, but we strive to maintain perfect service in all circumstances, and must apologize if there were any details that were lacking during your stay. I have already reviewed with our staff every concern you raised and taken corrective action. Should you be traveling through the Easton, PA area again, I would welcome the opportunity to make things right and make your next stay with us most enjoyable.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

The staff was polite and prompt. The queen suite was clean, spacious and comfortable. It appears that they have done some work since the negative reviews were written. Pleasantly surprised. the restrain in the lobby (unaffiliated with the hotel) leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mike M
Reviewed 25 January 2014

It's one of the few gems that has pluses all over the place. It's modern, clean, conveniently located at center of the town (a coupe blocks from Crayonla), free parking, free continental breakfast. There are no pools / views, but that's not what you are looking for anyways.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family