“Get it on a special offer. The rooms are unique, the service good (though not exceptional).”

Langley Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langley-on-Tyne
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Great for around £150 a night for the inside castle rooms (B&B). That was the deal (Groupon) we got. I would not say worth typical £300+ standard price. Service falls a little short. Nice but not 5 star.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Grayson N
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear GraysonN - thank you for taking the time to post your review - The rooms in the Castle do have the special allure - We are always looking to improve the standards of food and service and I will discuss this with some of our senior and key staff to see what we can do to raise the bar a little higher - Please do keep an eye on our web site as we always have special offers throughout the year - Best regards - Anton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My wife had booked the hotel as a Christmas present for me, so the forward anticipation of this stay has been building for a while, and I can say without hesitation that our expectations were met and far exceeded, from the moment of pulling the car into the grounds and seeing the magnificent castle for the first time to the time we left was an experience we will long remember and look forward to recreating on our next visit.

When we arrived we were made very welcome by the receptionist who informed us that our room wasn't quite ready yet but if we would like to make our way upstairs we could have a drink and order some lunch if required and she would come and find us as and when we could go to the room. She also apologised for the main dining room being temporarily out of use as a christening party was taking place in there, but also said not to worry it would be available again for our evening meal.

As we walked up the beautiful staircase you couldn't help but feel the history of the place, and this continued as we entered the drawing room, and proceeded to spend a good five minutes just looking round at the incredible detail to which the castle had been renovated and refurbished as we took a seat near the fireplace. It wasn't too long before were attended too and ordered drinks and some sandwiches, although to just call them sandwiches is really an understatement, the young man who took our order also told us a little more about the hotel, and advised us that there was another christening party later on, but not to worry all would be calm again by 6pm, he was very helpful and a credit to the hotel, as to be fair are all the staff we encountered during our stay.

Whilst we were eating our lunch the receptionist appeared and presented us with the key, and asked if required help with our bags, we declined having only overnight bags and we made our way to the room. The room we had booked was number 7 the Radcliffe room, as we entered the first thing we noticed was the huge four poster bed, quickly followed by the amazing window seat built into the 7 foot thick walls, the room was big, plenty of room, a nice big wardrobe, dressing table, hairdryer, tea/coffee facilities, good sized TV with Sky, settee, even an iron plus ironing board. Towards the back of the room there was a smaller door, and curiosity being what it is we headed straight for it, swung it open and flicked the lights on and stood in amazement at probably the biggest bathroom we’ve ever been in, all clad out in travertine tiles, twin basins, large shower, huge bath and sauna, we truly had died and gone to hotel heaven!!

We had made a reservation for the restaurant although we didn't need to as there were only 14 people resident in the hotel that evening, but that only helped to make it feel even more intimate and special, prior to going to the restaurant we had been told to head to the drawing room first where we resumed our earlier seats next to the fireplace which had now been lit, ordered drinks and perused the menu, finding it very hard to choose as it all looked so good, in the meantime a waiter appeared with something called a pre-appetiser compliments of the chef, very artfully presented and very tasty, while we enjoyed that our choices were taken, a bottle of wine ordered, and what seemed no time at all we were escorted downstairs to the dining room. We were seated and once the wine was poured we were offered the choice of several homemade breads, and brought a serving dish with butter, both salted and plain, plus some olive oil and balsamic, it was delicious, as were our starters, both presented in a very high end restaurant style, but the quantity of food on the plate was perfect, especially with the main course, prior to which we had been given a lemon sorbet to cleanse the pallet and after which we were presented with a pre-dessert dessert, before indulging in two fantastic main desserts, I could go on and on about the food, but better you experience it for yourself you won't be disappointed, again the service throughout was superb, attentive but not intrusive and always friendly, nothing is too much trouble.

A wonderful meal was followed by a relaxing evening and a great nights sleep, the room itself was quite warm at times but the climate control in there was efficient and quiet. In the morning we enjoyed a hearty cooked breakfast, and unfortunately had to be away quite early as we had a long drive but would have loved to of had a tour of the battlements on the roof, maybe next time.

Now we've probably left out as much as we've put in, and you can see why some of the other reviews are so long, there is so much good to say about Langley castle, we can't wait to go back.

3 Thank Yorkshire_Merritts
Dear Yorkshire-Merritts - I would like to express my appreciation of such a glowing review following your short stay at the Castle - We have worked hard over the years and positive feedback such as yours is invaluable as motivation for the team here - Your review will be posted on the notice board - I do hope that you will be able to visit the Castle again soon. Best regards - Anton
North East
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I booked a room at Langley Castle as a birthday treat for my partner and can honestly say our stay was faultless. We've stayed in other hotels recently and have felt rather let down by service and/or cleanliness. Thankfully Langley Castle lived up to it's reputation as a top quality place to stay.

Upon booking I was advised that our stay would coincide with a wedding booked for the same day but that other than some possible residual noise from the disco up to 12.30am we wouldn't really cross paths with the wedding party as their festivities would be in different areas different floors etc.

Now I never mind staying at venues where weddings are taking place, but I appreciated that the staff let me know in advance in case it was an issue for me.

As it was, other than meeting the lovely folks from the wedding party at the front entrance as we arrived when they were setting up for photos, we saw nothing more of them until breakfast the following morning. There was absolutely no disruption to our stay and we couldn't hear a thing from the wedding disco.

Checking in we met Sharon who was very friendly and welcoming, and showed us to our room.

We stayed in the De Lucy Room which is fantastic. I had arranged in advance for a bunch of flowers to be in the room and there they were as per my every specification.

A nice touch was a personalised welcome letter telling us which managers were on duty during our stay.

The room's beautiful window seat overlooks the lawns where you can watch wild rabbits frolicking and the peacocks strutting arrogantly about. The whole area is so peaceful. In fact the only sound you hear is the occasional cry of a peacock. Magnificent.

The De Lucy room doesn't have a bath. It has a large wet room which in itself is great but if baths are your thing you might want one of the other rooms.

The room has everything you need, there's no need to ask reception for the iron, ironing board, hair dryer etc. it's all there.( TIP: The ironing board is hidden behind the huge ornate curtains.)

During the afternoon we ordered some sandwiches and were kindly advised by a great lad called Mark that if there was a short delay this would be down to the fact that the kitchens were at that very moment serving the wedding meal. There was in fact no delay and service was prompt and friendly. The sandwiches were hefty 2 storey wedges and well worth the price.

The staff were always friendly and very approachable. One thing I noticed was that whenever they passed you they always made the effort to make eye contact and say hello. (This may not mean much to some, but when you've had some bad experiences elsewhere this is a big deal)

One thing I noticed is that the on duty manager sits in full view at a desk at the bottom of the stairwell. This means that they are immediately accessible if you want to raise any issues. They are not hidden away in an office.

Service in the restaurant was fantastic, you sit in the splendour of the drawing room and have your drinks brought to you until your table is ready. Mark who had served us during the afternoon also brought us a little appetiser with compliments from the chef which was a really nice touch. In the dining area had a great little table tucked away in an alcove which added to the intimacy of the romantic meal. We loved it.

I must say when our meals arrived I at first thought the portions were tiny, but as is often the case with cuisine such as this, looks are deceiving and once I got stuck in I soon found it was a veritable feast. Service throughout the meal was friendly and prompt with Suzanne and Jessica looking after us. Again we received an additional complimentary dessert which was greatly appreciated.

At breakfast your specific table is automatically reserved for you which I liked, and we got our alcove back again. Service was prompt and friendly even though the same staff were on duty from the night before so must have been worn out. (They never showed it though.)

Checking out again was prompt and efficient with Sharon making us feel that we had been very welcome.

I loved this place. Was it the cheapest place to stay? No. Is it worth the money? Oh yes.
I cannot recommend it enough. We are still both buzzing after our stay and are totally chilled.

Room Tip: The De Lucy room doesn't have a bath. It has a large wet room which in itself is great but if ba...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Craig - I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Langley and that your expectations for your partners Birthday were fulfilled - The staff at the Castle play such a big part and I will be very happy to post your review on the notice board - such positive comments are invaluable - I am also pleased that the fact that we were hosting a wedding that day was handled professionally - it is important to advise guests in advance but also to work hard to ensure that there is minimal impact whilst actually at the Castle - Thank you very much and I do hope we will have the pleasure of your company again soon - Best regards - Anton
south staffs
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed in the Superior Castle view rooms, they were wonderful. The food was outstanding, the staff courteous and went the extra mile, thoroughly remarkable experience. Peacocks roamed in the grounds and wild rabbits were seem on the lawns

1 Thank Sandrea M
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Sandrea - I just wanted to express my thanks to you for posting your review of your recent stay at Langley - I am delighted that the you enjoyed the food and that the staff provided a high level of service - So many people remark on the Peacocks and Rabbits - but we are also working hard to reintroduce the colony of Red Squirrels - I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Langley before too long - Best regards - Anton
sheffield
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A really lovely little castle ! a really nice welcome with a delicious cream tea the main building is warm and welcoming and a really comfortable feel. We were two couples staying for my husbands birthday in March.We booked an upgraded rooms in castle view each which were delightful and well worth the extra money. We did the battlement tour on our last morning which was very interesting. We booked an evening meal in the grill on the first night and were not over impressed the meat dishes were acceptable if not a little on the small side. As a veggie l could not find anything on the main course that appealed to me so ordered an extra starter and asked for it to be a larger portion. I was served 3 tiny fingers of goats cheese and a minute portion of picked veg. As i was still rather hungry l ordered crepes for dessert along with another guest. We were each given one tiny pancake with some delicious sauce it was at the most 4 or 5 mouthfulls and cost £11.50 each. As you can imagine we ate out the next night. When we returned from our meal out we went into the lovely lounge for drinks and were enjoying a few gin and tonics. As guests were leaving we were made to feel we were outstaying our welcome. so drank up and left we had just got through the door when to the stairs when it was slammed loudly behind us. I have to say the reception staff were really good and welcoming at all times. But for the lack of customer dervices l would have rated the hotel with a 5

Room Tip: Would reccomend the upstairs rooms in Castle View
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SheffieldBrenda
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Brenda - Thank you for taking the time to publish your review following your recent stay at the Castle - Whilst I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, I have noted the comments regarding portion sizes - I will review this with my Head Chef to ensure that all courses are appropriately sized - we do have "crepes suzette" on the menu - these are cooked at the table and there is a supplement of £3.50 per person for that - I do hope that this will not mar your enjoyment of your stay and that we will be able to welcome you back to Langley - Best regards - Anton
Lancashire
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Myself and husband stayed at the castle last weekend in the Greenwich room, it was fabulous ! The staff, the hotel, the grounds, the room and the food all exceeded our expectations. The staff provided an early breakfast to our room and for me the added plus of gluten free bread was a hit. I won't spoil the surprise by describing in too much detail however the pictures do not do the building and rooms justice, also the bathroom was wonderful. Every member of staff was a huge credit to the hotel and management. Just go and have a great time.

Room Tip: Any castle room
1 Thank Likethesea
Dear Likethesea - I would like to thank you for posting such a positive review regarding your recent stay - It is very difficult to be able to capture in an photograph, the essence of some of our rooms, so it most helpful to be able to pass that on to others - I am also pleased that you appreciated the gluten free bread - there is a high requirement for gluten free diets and we carry, gluten free bread and cakes as a standard - I will put a copy of the review in the staff notice board - I look forward to welcoming you back to Langley soon - Best regards - Anton
Northwest
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I booked the castle as a surprise Mother's Day gift with two rooms, high tea and dinner.

A truly wonderful experience and a very happy mother.

Stunning food, outstanding staff and the most comfortable nights sleep I've had for many a year.

If you're reading Tripadvisor to assist you in deciding whether to book Langley - hesitate no more. A magical marvel where you can live like a king.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank tonyblogging
Dear Mr.Watson - Thank you so much for sharing your experiences following your stay at the Castle and for taking the time to post your review - Mothers day is always a special occasion and I am delighted that this was appreciated. I will of course, pass on your comments on to the rest of the team - I do hope you will be able to return to Langley in the not too distant future - Best regards - Anton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langley-on-Tyne
Matfen Hall
The Black Bull Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford

Been to Langley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!