“Marvellous”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langley-on-Tyne
Sheffield
“Marvellous”
Reviewed 23 October 2008

This is the most expensive hotel I've ever stayed in, but it was worth it. The building is fascinating, not just the imposing exterior but the countless paintings and tapestries and the antique furniture. Dinner was superb too, and yet it was the staff that were most memorable. Every single one was friendly and conscientious, right down to the little touches. When we passed a cleaner vacuuming the carpet she politely switched the vacuum off as we passed and waited until we'd reached the next room before resuming. And when we asked if the eggs were free range the waitress brought the label out from the kitchen so we could be sure. There are more good things I could mention but I'll stop typing now or I'll be here all night.

• Liked — Staff, food, drawing room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chorleypie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
united kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2008

Stayed for one night only October 8th 2008, every and I mean every aspect was brilliant!, the feature rooms are just that FEATURES, the standards of service and food excellent.
would and have recommended, will vist again.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gerryfish
Worcestershire, England
Reviewed 5 October 2008

Wow! That's what you think as you drive up to this lovely Castle which is now a hotel.

It's a fantastic place to hold a wedding, especially on a very very wet day in September, which is what my niece did. Thank goodness she decided against having a marquee!!!!!! She told me that as she drove up to Langley she knew it was the perfect place for her wedding day - she had already looked at other stately homes/castles in the area - but this was the one for her.

Marrying at the castle means that everything happens in one place so if there are any delays or bad weather it doesn't matter. She arrived extremely late due to flooding in the area but the registrar wasn't needed elsewhere and there were no more weddings at the castle that day, it was theirs for the day except for the few guests who were staying there at the time (we didn't notice them until breakfast the next morning).

The ceremony was held in the Josephine Restaurant suitably rearranged for a wedding, whilst photos were taken guests could relax in the Drawing Room with canapes and drinks (these would have been served outside had the weather been better). The wedding breakfast was served in the Stuart Suite and later used for the evening disco.

A number of guests, including ourselves as we had travelled from Worcestershire, stayed overnight which made for a pleasant week-end break.

The staff were extremely helpful and the castle itself is magnificent. The one thing it was lacking was a lift, by the time you climbed the stairs to the Stuart Suite you needed to sit down, obviously the must allow disabled to use the service lift but I do think it would be better if there was a public lift accessible to all.

When we arrived our room was not ready as the previous occupants had been late in leaving, however that was not a major problem, we were offered a free tea or coffee up in the drawing room whilst we waited for the room to be serviced, a wait of only about 20 minutes.

The castle is situated in beautiful Northumbrian countryside, ideal for exploring the Roman Wall etc. and Newcastle/Gateshead are not too far away for those who enjoy shopping or sightseeing in the city. Do go down to the river Tyne and see the magnificent bridges which span the river, ancient and modern blend well together, the latest addition being the Gateshead Millennium Bridge or the blinking eye as it is known locally.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2008

Wow a lovely "Proper" castle not one pretending to be a castle or calling itself a castle this is the real deal and stunning.
The room when I arrived was not made up from a wedding the day before so rubbish /hair pins confetti etc
We were shown alternative rooms but they werent quite so nice so waited for room to be serviced.
The cold tap is warm and the hot tap cool
The evening meal was not good and certainly not worth the price.
There was not good Scotch, come on school boy error in a nice hotel......you could have made a fortune out of me...
The ghost in the room kindly turned the light on when I got up in the middle of the night but neglected to turn it off again when I got into the lovely four poster.
The iron in the room dispatched brown stain laden water onto my shirt but it washed out.
On check out I filled out a customer card and without asking the manager? refunded me a substantial amount of the fee paid and apologied.
I do think that it was just an off day for this hotel and they are striving to provide a good service. I would rather stay somewhere that is genuinely trying like this hotel than somewhere that doesnt seem bothered like some other hotels...
I would love to stay here again...The view from the roof was stunning as was the room and castle in general...

• Liked — The four poster
  • Disliked — not having been cleaned
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnSunderlandUk
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 August 2008

I stayed at Langley Castle as a child and then took my wife there a number of years ago. It is hard to explain Langley Castle as it is so different from other "hotels" (the quotes are put because I'm not sure Langley Castle should be termed a hotel - it's much better than that).

The short: this is a great place for people of all ages. As a child (around age 10) I loved thinking of the potential for ghosts in the nooks and crannies. When I was with my wife we basked in the luxury that Langley offers (we still comment on the sheets and bedding after all these years). And now I look forward to taking my own child (now 2, I think we'll wait until he's at least 9).

Langley is more than a hotel. I stayed as a child, and then as an adult, and plan to keep visiting throughout my life. I hope other travelers do the same.

• Liked — Literally everything. It's a true castle.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed June 2003, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dfa9a
Vantaa
Reviewed 14 July 2008

It's expensive. But it is exclusive. And it is worth it.

The rooms in the castle are top notch. 4 poster beds, jacuzzi bath, spacious, free wi-fi internet (that works) etc etc. The food and wine selection is excellent.

The staff are the most professional and courteous I have ever seen. They would bend over backwards to make your stay comfortable. I do plenty of business travelling and see lots of hotels all over Europe. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has come close to this hotel in my experience.

I liked the little touches which just made you feel relaxed. You don't get hassled for your credit card the moment you get in. You are allowed to relax with a drink while a waitress takes your food order. You then get taken to the restaurant when your food is ready, to your reserved table (which you can change if you like). You don't sign for your meal. They trust you and you feel welcome because of it. A guided tour of the castle is given in the morning. All this is taken care of quietly and efficiently. .

For once, here is a hotel where it is an absolute pleasure to stay. I would recommend it to anyone. Forget the price, this is a ten star hotel.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank VantaaVale
Leeds
Reviewed 14 June 2008

Very expensive - looked expensive when I thought I was booking per room, doubly so when I realised it was per person!

However, well worth it as a treat. I'd recommend staying in the castle itself for the full experience. I'm sure the annex rooms are fine, but that'd be a bit like going to Wimbledon when the tennis wasn't on.

• Liked — It's a castle with all the trimmings!
  • Disliked — The price. Ouch.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langley-on-Tyne
Matfen Hall
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to Langley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!