“I would highly recommend you give this hotel a try.”

Langley Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langley-on-Tyne
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We took advantage of a Groupon offer for one night staying in a Castle View room but we were not disappointed.The accommodation was superb with an amazing array of toiletries and large, soft, white towels. The attention to detail is superb. We weren’t expecting the accommodation to be particularly good as the offer was extremely reasonable, but we were very pleasantly surprised. We have stayed in hotels all over the world, some of them 5 star, and this one is up there with the best. The cream tea was delicious, and the menu for the full breakfast was stunning, although we couldn’t manage more than cereal and toast after a heavy meal the night before. I would recommend the Josephine Restaurant for an evening meal if you are given a choice, as, unless the Pavilion is quite full, it doesn't have the same ambience, but the food is still very good.

Room Tip: The Castle View rooms are great, you don't have to stay in the Castle to be in the lap of luxury...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Lynne - I am very appreciate of you taking the time to post your review of your recent stay - I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and accommodations - we always have special offers available at short notice and these are published on our web site -I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Langley - Best regards - Anton

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Langley Castle Hotel in the Tindale room and what a gem we found.
The staff were exceptional, especially Anton the General Manager ,who could not do enough to make our stay special .We ate diner at the restaurant and found everything to be of high quality whether it be service, attitude and efficiency. The nature of the excellent staff is warm ,friendly but not obtrusive. We would highly recommend and will revisit again when next in the vicinity.

Room Tip: Worth spending a little more to stay in Castle room than Castle view rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear 222997 - Thank you so much for your feedback, regarding your recent stay at the Castle - Your comments regarding the standards of food, service and attitude, but more importantly friendly nature of the staff - I will of course post a copy of your review on the staff board - I do hope that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Langley at some point - Best regards - Anton

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Great view on approach to the castle itself through winding roads and up a drive to the castle itself perched on top of a small hill. Pretty small tudor style garden to front with fountain, sloping laid out formal gardens with pergolas and tables ideal for weddings etc. Lots of rabbits and peacocks knocking about and easy parking on gravel to side of castle and further down near castle view rooms.

15th C fortified tower which has been comprehensively converted within last 100 years so internally not original but certainly sympathetically done and impressive, not as overbearing as the scottish baronial style. Internally steep stone winding stairs so visitors with limited movement may be better off in the castle view rooms where we stayed.

These rooms also have some steep stairs if in the upstairs apartments. Again sympathetic conversions with nice medieval faux touches, good bathrooms and 2 flat screen televisions, aircon and a very good guests guide, in fact one of the best I have seen of many hundreds.

Breakfast pretty good but not amongst the best, good quality ingredients, portions fairly small.

Service efficient if slightly formal although a difficult balance to get right bearing in mind what it is and many guests would expect some formality give the setting.

Langley Castle does very well what it is, a pretty good hotel in a castle conversion.

2  Thank Thedragon22
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Simon - Thank you for being able to share your experience of Langley following your recent stay - I have noted your comments regarding portion size for breakfast and we are reviewing the style, content and quality as a result - We receive many positive comments regarding the staff, but sometimes it is a narrow line for some guests between being over familiar and the efficiency of service - I still feel that the natural Northumbrian charm is the best and will continue to encourage this. I do hope that you will return to the Castle at some point and I will do all I can to turn your next review into a 5 - Best regards - Anton

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights in room 22 - Castleview suite. Langley castle was chosen as we wanted to explore the Northhumberland countryside . We travelled the coastline of Northumberland to Holy Island, walked parts of Hadrians Wall, visited Kielder Waters and lots of touring around the area
. Our room was wonderful - spacious, view of castle and the tariff was fully justified. The food was all delicious. The staff were very helpful , really enjoyed the castle tour, the young man Aiden giving the tour made the history of castle so interesting. There was something very special about this castle hotel- enchanting , friendly and relaxed. We have stayed in many 4 star hotels but we felt that we had made an excellent choice choosing this hotel and really recommend you try it for yourself.

Room Tip: The castle rooms are quite dark but the castle view rooms are lovely and light.
1  Thank Pritchards1963

Dear Pritchards - Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay to explore Northumberland - The Castle is a perfect base for exploring Hadrian's Wall, The Northumberland coastline and Holy Island - We even have a structured series of what we call "Three Millennia Tours" with experiences covering roman, medieval and modern times - Please see our web site for details - I would thank you for your kind comments regarding the accommodation, food and also the Battlement tour and I will pass these on to Aiden and the rest of the Team - I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Langley before too long - Best regards - Anton

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Wow - an amazing hotel. We stayed for 2 nights, a different room every night and they were both magnificent and luxurious. The only downside was that the drawing at the end of the evening was chilly, apart from that though we had a wonderful stay. I'd recommend going on the tour too.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank H W
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear HW - thank you for posting your review of your recent stay - The rooms in the main Castle are all so different and it can be great fun to try each one - The Battlement tour is a popular feature and allows our guests to get a fuller appreciation of the historical roots and the views of the Castle are lovely - Please keep an eye on our web site for upcoming special offers -Best regards - Anton

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Everything was top shelf. The rooms were royally appointed, super clean and comfortable. We had dinner there also; we all had the English lamb and were amazed at the tenderness and originality of the preparation. The afternoon tea was grand; just enough to see us through til dinner. The only complaint I had; the vodka martini I had was probably the worst one I have ever ordered. I understand most Brits aren't big cocktail drinkers, but a martini is pretty standard all around the world. Almost went to the bar to teach the young man how to make an American style martini. Breakfast the next morning was a real delight. There were fresh native strawberries, I believe from Kent. I believe we got the room through British Groupon, and it was a real steal for what we got. If I'm ever lucky enough to get back to Northumbria, I would go back again. We here in the states don't have the availability to stay in a 14th century castle, so it was a real delight. Oh yeah, the peacocks roaming the property are a great touch. Also when I went for a walk, there are bat houses on a couple of trees. I asked the man who was trimming the box hedges, if there were any bats yet. He said no, but they did have bats in the main tower and were hoping to attract more to the property. Good natural insect control. All on all, I was as pleased with Langley Castle as any resort in the Dominican or Mexico. We were treated with respect and friendliness.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Ricki - Thank you so very much for sharing your recent experience of Langley Castle - I am delighted to not your comments regarding the quality & cleanliness of the rooms and the quality of the food in the Restaurant - We do have a plenty of wildlife in the grounds and programmes to try and encourage the Red Squirrels, wild birds and Bats - I do hope you will be able to return to Langley - Best regards - Anton
P.S I have now shown the young man on the Bar how to do a proper Dry Martini

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Castle is wonderful to look at, and on the inside it had some rustic feel - but also gimmicky statues. On arrival the individual at the front desk was cold, unresponsive, and made me feel as though I was not welcome. I should note she also did not fulfill the introductory package - although was later rectified by the girl who replaced her. The individual delivering the tour was not very enthusiastic and had a difficult time telling the story of the castle's history.

The Castle is quite proud of receiving an award for their food, which must be for the dinner and not breakfast. The breakfast tasted as though it was cooked 6 hours earlier and the 'deep fried toast' I kid you not spewed grease when pressed with a fork. No one at my table was able to finish their meal due to the quality of the meal - especially considering it was £15!

If you are looking to read a book or paint a picture this is the place for you. If you are seeking some sort of nature walking, activities, outdoors - then you are best travelling to other places.

The saving grace was the superior castle room view suite. It was quite spacious and luxurious. The cleaning staff were courteous, as was the wait staff at the restaurant.

Unfortunately, I am unable to recommend this establishment on any level.

Room Tip: Castleview Suites are nice, and can be quite romantic for couples.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Matthew P

Dear Matthew - I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your recent stay at the Castle - We have worked very hard to offer high standards of food and service and would apologise if this was not the case during your visit. The receptionist you first encountered was on her 3rd day and still in process of being trained - I will investigate with Chef what happened regarding breakfast as this is far removed form the standards we usually achieve - I do take all comments (good and bad) very personally and I will take steps to ensure this is not allowed to be repeated. Thank you for brining this to my attention - Best regards - Anton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Langley-on-Tyne
Matfen Hall
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to Langley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!