“Poor house keeping ” 1 of 5 bubbles

Langley Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langley-on-Tyne
“Poor house keeping ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

On our 10th wedding anniversary I desided to go a bit further on choosing a nice hotel . I drive past the signs for the castle often and decided to go and surprise the wife ! !
The drive up the drive was impressive grounds well kept lovely setting .
Walking into the repection throw the castle doors was impressive and checked in with no problems around 5pm . Entered room first impression were all good air con , sky TV , nice toliet , large bed etc . upgraded to a suite in the castle grounds room 20. (£195 for 1 night ) . Only time for dinner was 8.30pm so decided to go into town for dinner .

Now it all goes wrong ! !
Returned to our room. 7.30pm I opened the mini - bar and was shocked on how dirty the fridge was ! You could right your name on the shelve ! !
At the same time my wife was a tempting to run a bath and said there was no hot water ! I called repection and informed them they called me back and said problem with it good to the update . AFTER ALL PAYING THIS SORT OF MONEY YOU WOULD EXPECT HOT WATER ! !
Trying not to let this get our night down we desided to fill the KETTLE 5 times to give us some hot water
My wife was looking at the bath and notice BODY hair in the bath ! !
Just at this Rob duty manger called the room I informed him about the issues Rob did come into the room expelend there was a problem with the boiler and was awaiting a engineer to attend ! ( not my problem I just wanted hot water in room )
My wife cleaned the bath of hairs but I had taken photos prior to Rob attending room .
I showed Rob he did apologise and asked if wanted moved but it was 9 pm and just to late to move . I was offered a bottle of wine but refused it ! ! !

later on I checked hot water and it was there ! ! At last shower time once bath cleaned again ! ! I entered the shower and was going to place shower gel on soap holder and got a shock of the GREEN mould inside not been cleaned ! ! ! ! Again taken photos ! !

On closer inspection the room was not been cleaned properly dust was clear to see ! !
The large bed was 2 small beds joined together ! ! Not that good.

In the morning was good to have a hot shower then head up for some breakfast ! ! It was nice good selection of fresh fruit etc washed down with haddock and poached eggs along with a pot of coffee very nice ! !
Once ready to check out Rob again apologies ed and taken £50 of the room.

Only if they paid more attention to HOUSEKEEPING it would have been worth the money it did SPOIL our time there ! !

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Martin R
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Martin - Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay - The Castle did experience a severe problem with a split water pipe which rendered our hot water boilers inoperative - this did not become apparent until the water ran cold - this was beyond anyone's immediate control - Bob then acted immediately to have the system repaired and hot water was restored within an hour or so - we do have a number of beds that bolt together and the mattress zip and link so that the bed can be used as a double or separated into 2 large single beds - this is common in many high quality hotels - Our standards of housekeeping are of a high standard and would apologise if some instances were not correct and would assure you that this is not the norm - I will ensure that our room checking procedures are enforced so that this will not be allowed to happen again - I do thank you for bringing this to my attention and hope that you will be able to revisit the Castle on another occasion - please contact me directly and I will personally supervise your reservation throughout to ensure your complete satisfaction - Best regards - Anton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

And worth every penny. You can find all the specification elsewhere. There are rooms in the castle itself, but we stayed in a 'Superior Castle View' room, which is in an annexe. These rooms have one significant advantage....wedding - noisy disco in the castle - couldn't hear a thing in our room. The bed was large and very comfortable, the room was large and very comfortable, everything was spotlessley clean, the wi-fi worked and the TV had a full Sky package (movies and sport and some HD). The restaurant and bar are in the castle. The decor is very...well, "castleish" - suits of armour, tapestries and it works. The food was absolutely superb. The head chef has recently arrived from Gilpin Lodge, bringing his assistant, and the cuisine is as you'd expect from a Michelin starred professional. The staff were effcient, polite, friendly and obviously proud of their new chef. Thier enthusiasm was tangible. What else? The grounds are lovely, well kept, with peacocks striding around. All-in-all this was a delightful place to stay and we will be back.

Room Tip: As stated, the Castle View Rooms are good
1 Thank Tarzanstripes
Dear Tarzanstripes - Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at the Castle - your comments regarding the spotlessly clean rooms and the high standard of food/service are particularly appreciated - I do look forward to welcoming you back to Langley - Best regards - Anton
Plympton, , United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed here years ago and loved it. The staff are very welcoming. The rooms superb, the best nights sleep ever! The breakfast was cooked to perfection. Can still remember it now! All fresh produce and large selection. Cant say enough about this place. Truly recommend a visit.

Room Tip: Delux room i stayed in.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Rachael P
Dear Rachael - Thank you for leaving such a positive review of your recent stay - So many of our guests return to the Castle and it is always such a pleasure to welcome you back - I will of course post a copy of the review on the staff board - once again thank you very much - Best regards - Anton
newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We booked the Percy Room for the night of a friends wedding. It was exactly like the photos.

Copious amounts of tea and coffee were on hand and our every need taken care of in the bathroom with the toiletries.

We slept well and breakfast was a dream. Kippers with poached eggs may not be every bodies ideal breakfast but if they are ask for them.

My tip would be if you attending a wedding take time out to walk around the gardens/grounds just to see the peacocks and peahens is worth it.

As the title says we wished we could have stayed longer.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Newcastle - I am so pleased that you enjoyed your friends wedding celebrations at the Castle and that you could share your experiences here - Please keep an eye on our web site for special offers and hope to see you again soon - Best regards - Anton
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I booked Langley Castle for my Fiancés birthday. The drive up was impressive and reception very efficient and friendly. We were shown to our room, the De Lucy, by the Receptionist. I picked the room based on pictures and reviews on here. We were not disappointed! The room was very spacious and very nicely decorated. A lot of effort had gone into the design and the bathroom with the walk in shower was wonderful (the shower itself was superb!) We had robes in the room and the towels were lovely and soft.
From a womans' point of view, there was a spacious dressing table with a good sized mirror, and plenty of space in the bathroom. May I suggest to management somewhere in the shower to place toiletries whilst showering such as a shelf of sorts?
I especially loved the window seat area. The bed was very comfortable with good pillows. There was a good sized TV and plenty of tea/coffee supplies. Ladies, there is a hairdryer with diffuser in the room.
We had afternoon tea in the drawing room which was very nice with mini bagels instead of bread sandwiches. I preferred this idea. The scones were delicious!
We booked a meal in the restaurant in the evening. Superb. I had the prawns for a main and my Fiancé had the fillet steak. Service was attentive and all the staff very friendly. One young waitress was starting on her first night and did extremely well! I will say all the staff are a credit to the Hotel and work very hard.
We had a very peaceful nights sleep, only woken by several cries from the peacocks early in the morning! Unfortunately no ghosts were spotted!
Check out was without issue and very efficient. I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone wanting an unusual stay with excellent service. The castle has a lovely history, having laid empty for 500 years, to be rebuilt, with love and care, turning it into a beautifully restored building. There is a feeling of grandeur walking round the castle, and you feel a part of it's history with the carefully restored walls and doorways.
Would I stay here again? Absolutely!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Samantha - I am so pleased that you enjoyed your Fiance's birthday celebrations - I would thank you for your very kind comments regarding the afternoon tea (The Bagles are very popular as an alternative to the standard finger sandwiches) and also the meal in the Restaurant - I note your comment regarding a toiletries shelf in the Shower are and have installed that immediately - thank you - I do hope that you will be able to return to the Castle again soon - Best regards - Anton
Alexandria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

On a whim I was looking for somewhere to stay with my wife for a couple of nights. We were in Durham and wanted something different. We found a castle!! I phoned the reception and got a deal to stay in one of the superior rooms in the lodges (in the grounds) for two nights. Unfortunately the castle was full which reminds me to book early for the next time. All accommodation is beautifully turned out and all lodge rooms have a view on to the castle itself.
This place is fabulous and it just drips with history. We absolutely adored it and will return. There are peacocks in the grounds which are beautifully manicured, hardly a blade of grass out of shape. The Castle really has the wow factor especially on the first drive up to the front door.
There are two restaurants, the main one has fabulous food which is worth the money. Try the Basil pannacotta and the ginger ice cream, my wife nearly fell off her seat; it is that good.
The service is 5*. All of the staff put themselves out for you and do it with good cheer. The lads who run the bar area and drawing room are of special mention. I suspect they would do cartwheels if you asked them.
Obviously this place is not a B & B and you pay the price accordingly but you will get the service, the food, the history and a CASTLE for gods sake. Stay here and pretend you're the Lord and Lady of the castle.

Room Tip: Stay in the castle, but book early as it gets full.
1 Thank sherlock6884
Dear Sherlock - Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay and for your positive comments regarding the quality of accommodation, staff, service and food - The grounds are perfect to relax and enjoy a stroll before or after dinner - I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Langley before too long - please keep an eye on our web sire for special offers - Best regards - Anton
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Having stayed at Langley Castle in the summer of 2013 we fell in love with the place and chose to return for our honeymoon this July 2014. The castle itself is stunning, we love the light, and the peace, the feeling of time travel. Both rooms we've stayed in - the Percy and the Cadwaller - with their four poster beds, tapestries on the wall, the old stonework, the tall windows, the alcoves that we could sit in to look out over the grounds, made this a heavenly place to wake up. The food is fabulous and flawless - sophisticated tastes and the best ingredients. We also like that the meat was sourced within walking distance of the castle. Finally the staff are down to earth in the best possible sense - personable and passionate about the castle and their work. They'd remembered us from our last visit and they always made us feel special and looked after.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe castle or feature rooms - they cost a little more but if you like the romance of s...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear John - Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay and so delighted that you chose to return to Langley to celebrate your honeymoon - The rooms in the main Castle are all special and in keeping with a genuine Castle experience - I will pass your comments regarding the staff, food and service on to the team - I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again soon - best regards - Anton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langley-on-Tyne
Matfen Hall
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford
The Black Bull Hotel
BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor

Been to Langley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!