“an unforgettable experience”

Langley Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langley-on-Tyne
Reviewed 5 August 2014

we stayed in the derwentwater feature room inside the castle for 1 night and it was fantastic.we were next to a small lounge with a real fire and had a drink here before dinner.the food was excellent breakfast lunch and dinner time with lots of choice.

Room Tip: feature rooms worth the extra money
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank graham g
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Graham _ I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the Derwentwater room - I will pass your kind comments regarding the staff and particularly the food onto the team - this is invaluable feedbaclk - so thank you - Best regards - Anton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,206)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Alas we were only here for one night but during that time we had a great time. As there was a wedding on the hotel contacted us beforehand to warn that there would be noise for a few hours but given the thickness of the keep's walls it turned out to be the quietest place of the trip!

There aren't many places where you can relax with drinks and be surrounded by suits of armour and stained glass windows but the old Great Hall managed to combine homely comfort with mediaeval period features.

Despite the professionalism of the staff (or perhaps exactly because of that) it's not a place that puts on airs and graces but is equally as welcoming to anyone.

If I were to offer any advice it would be to take a room in the castle itself - though the outlying Castle View rooms looked appealing from the outside - and to partake of the grand tour in the morning passed the gardrobes and out onto the battlements.

Unreservedly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cthonus

Dear CThonus - Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience of the Castle - I am total delighted that you enjoyed - The Castle is as an authentic experience as is possible to get - We do host many weddings, but try to minimise the impact on other guests - the fact that there is something else going on in the Castle can actually help bring even more excitement to the visit - people help the Castle to come alive - I do hope you will return again soon - best regards - Anton

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Any couple with kids will tell you its very important to have some " OUR TIME ". No kids, just us. Perfect place to spend some quality time together. That's it
We stayed in the greenwich room and it was perfect

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ian t

Dear Ian - I completely agree that "you" time is so important - I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay - The Greenwich is a very romantic room with the window seat the bathroom, dressing room and four poster bed - I do hope you will be able to return soon - Best regards - Anton

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband, 13 year old daughter and I recently traveled to the UK and wanted to treat ourselves to a stay in a castle. Although quite pricey, our stay in the Greenwich room suite was fantastic. Our meals and the service were very good. It really felt like a special treat - one we will always remember!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gale G

Dear Gale - I am so please that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay at the Castle The Greenwich room is a special room but with the sofa bed and window seat is perfect for a small family - I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your tour and that you will tell all your friends - Best regards - Anton

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

On our 10th wedding anniversary I desided to go a bit further on choosing a nice hotel . I drive past the signs for the castle often and decided to go and surprise the wife ! !
The drive up the drive was impressive grounds well kept lovely setting .
Walking into the repection throw the castle doors was impressive and checked in with no problems around 5pm . Entered room first impression were all good air con , sky TV , nice toliet , large bed etc . upgraded to a suite in the castle grounds room 20. (£195 for 1 night ) . Only time for dinner was 8.30pm so decided to go into town for dinner .

Now it all goes wrong ! !
Returned to our room. 7.30pm I opened the mini - bar and was shocked on how dirty the fridge was ! You could right your name on the shelve ! !
At the same time my wife was a tempting to run a bath and said there was no hot water ! I called repection and informed them they called me back and said problem with it good to the update . AFTER ALL PAYING THIS SORT OF MONEY YOU WOULD EXPECT HOT WATER ! !
Trying not to let this get our night down we desided to fill the KETTLE 5 times to give us some hot water
My wife was looking at the bath and notice BODY hair in the bath ! !
Just at this Rob duty manger called the room I informed him about the issues Rob did come into the room expelend there was a problem with the boiler and was awaiting a engineer to attend ! ( not my problem I just wanted hot water in room )
My wife cleaned the bath of hairs but I had taken photos prior to Rob attending room .
I showed Rob he did apologise and asked if wanted moved but it was 9 pm and just to late to move . I was offered a bottle of wine but refused it ! ! !

later on I checked hot water and it was there ! ! At last shower time once bath cleaned again ! ! I entered the shower and was going to place shower gel on soap holder and got a shock of the GREEN mould inside not been cleaned ! ! ! ! Again taken photos ! !

On closer inspection the room was not been cleaned properly dust was clear to see ! !
The large bed was 2 small beds joined together ! ! Not that good.

In the morning was good to have a hot shower then head up for some breakfast ! ! It was nice good selection of fresh fruit etc washed down with haddock and poached eggs along with a pot of coffee very nice ! !
Once ready to check out Rob again apologies ed and taken £50 of the room.

Only if they paid more attention to HOUSEKEEPING it would have been worth the money it did SPOIL our time there ! !

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Martin R
Anton_Phillips, General Manager at Langley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Martin - Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay - The Castle did experience a severe problem with a split water pipe which rendered our hot water boilers inoperative - this did not become apparent until the water ran cold - this was beyond anyone's immediate control - Bob then acted immediately to have the system repaired and hot water was restored within an hour or so - we do have a number of beds that bolt together and the mattress zip and link so that the bed can be used as a double or separated into 2 large single beds - this is common in many high quality hotels - Our standards of housekeeping are of a high standard and would apologise if some instances were not correct and would assure you that this is not the norm - I will ensure that our room checking procedures are enforced so that this will not be allowed to happen again - I do thank you for bringing this to my attention and hope that you will be able to revisit the Castle on another occasion - please contact me directly and I will personally supervise your reservation throughout to ensure your complete satisfaction - Best regards - Anton

Reviewed 27 July 2014

And worth every penny. You can find all the specification elsewhere. There are rooms in the castle itself, but we stayed in a 'Superior Castle View' room, which is in an annexe. These rooms have one significant advantage....wedding - noisy disco in the castle - couldn't hear a thing in our room. The bed was large and very comfortable, the room was large and very comfortable, everything was spotlessley clean, the wi-fi worked and the TV had a full Sky package (movies and sport and some HD). The restaurant and bar are in the castle. The decor is very...well, "castleish" - suits of armour, tapestries and it works. The food was absolutely superb. The head chef has recently arrived from Gilpin Lodge, bringing his assistant, and the cuisine is as you'd expect from a Michelin starred professional. The staff were effcient, polite, friendly and obviously proud of their new chef. Thier enthusiasm was tangible. What else? The grounds are lovely, well kept, with peacocks striding around. All-in-all this was a delightful place to stay and we will be back.

Room Tip: As stated, the Castle View Rooms are good
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tarzanstripes

Dear Tarzanstripes - Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at the Castle - your comments regarding the spotlessly clean rooms and the high standard of food/service are particularly appreciated - I do look forward to welcoming you back to Langley - Best regards - Anton

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed here years ago and loved it. The staff are very welcoming. The rooms superb, the best nights sleep ever! The breakfast was cooked to perfection. Can still remember it now! All fresh produce and large selection. Cant say enough about this place. Truly recommend a visit.

Room Tip: Delux room i stayed in.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachael P

Dear Rachael - Thank you for leaving such a positive review of your recent stay - So many of our guests return to the Castle and it is always such a pleasure to welcome you back - I will of course post a copy of the review on the staff board - once again thank you very much - Best regards - Anton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Langley-on-Tyne
Matfen Hall
#1 of 1 in Chollerford
24 mi away
Horton Grange Country House Hotel
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to Langley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!