“Beautiful Setting ruined by Unfriendly Staff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elizabethtown
Hershey KOA Campground
“Beautiful Setting ruined by Unfriendly Staff”
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

We have been camping for many years now and this is the unfriendliest place we have ever been! From the start we were made to feel as if our being there was a nuisance to the staff members. In the 4 days we were there we only received 1 hello from a staff member and we were making it a point to say hello to all of them. We were then charged $58 over 3 days to have visitors in the campground - day 1 it was $10 per person (holiday rate on July 3); day 2 it was $10 per vehicle (July 4 apparantly not a holiday); day 3 morning $8 for a vehicle, mid-morning it was $10 for another vehicle; evening while preparing dinner on the grill we were evicted for not having registered one of our guests! By this time we had been harassed by the staff everyday for visitor registrations (staff members sneaking around and looking in your vehicle windows when they think you cant see them). When I asked how we were to register a guest if we were paying to register a vehicle I was told, "I am not answering that, you have 30 minites to vacate or we will call the police and have you arrested for trespassing." Needless to say we left and will never be back. I would never recommend this place to even an enemy!

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank Edge-PA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 July 2013

This is an honest review the campground itself was very nice. Shady, clean we stayed in a cabin and it was very nice. We asked for 2 cabin sites and a RV site to be together and they did that. Now I would say Don't go there we got there at 2:00 I knew we couldn't check in but I asked if we could do our paperwork and I would come back to get my key. The woman that said she owned the place said No! Then my daughter and her husband with their 4 girls 3 who are handicapped had check in earlier because RV's can check in at 1:00 so I said we would go to their site and wait until 3:00. I was their to help with the girls I usually travel with them and she said I would have to pay or I wasn't allowed in the park. So I had to wait with my Mom in the car for an hour before we could even enter the park. By the time 3:00 came the line to check in was five cars long and we had to wait in a line. Then the two very rude women at the desk talking to each other had enough nerve to say they couldn't believe how busy it got. Are you kidding me they had everyone come at 3:00 what did they think would happen?
A few other things my niece and her husband asked for directions and they held up their hand and pointed to the left never said a word. Also as one other camper said we were having company a small family reunion so my sister went down to pay the $6.00 per person they require for visitors and then they tacked on another $8.00 a car it came to over $60.00 just to have company! They did later drive over and give her $16.00 back.
The atmosphere created there was very unwelcoming from the time you drove through the gate. A lot of older people working there seemed to be living there and they were rude and pretty much stalked everything we did. Also very few activities for children ( I think because they really don't want them there) and anything they did have was small and they charged for it. We have been to many campgrounds that weren't as nice to look at but we would go back for the people and the pleasant family friendly atmosphere this place was more like a trailer park where guests weren't welcome and believe me they let you know.
There were a few very nice gentlemen that helped us with a broken door knob and when the kids locked the key in the cabin. That still doesn't make up for the way we were treated and after reading some of the other reviews I think this is a consistent problem at this campground.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Ssandkj
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Was charged twice for guest was charged for my vehicle and my guest's vehicle ( who walks here?!) I would never come back. This was a complete rip off. Have been a member of KOA for 20 years and I have never seen anything like this one. Plus on their website the cabin I paid for had a refrigerator and television; when I got here there was neither!!

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Lhuber710
Reviewed 22 June 2013

My two complaints are the bathroom is FILTHY!!!! Poop was on the toilet seat, it was not cleaned until Monday morning and I told them Saturday morning. Also, the woman in the office, Debbie, was very rude. She is just a miserable woman and I do no know why.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank SallyAnnNaidoo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Very nice, clean campground. Staff is very friendly and all the sites are well taken care of. The amenities are very nice and the location is perfect for Hershey Park or visiting Lancaster. I would have given it 5 stars except that we had to bring 2 cars and they charged us $8 a day to park the extra car which is ridiculous. We look forward to coming back but will definitely make sure we only have one vehicle.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KimCarlKids
Secaucus, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was a great trip. The camp was extremely clean, easy to navigate, and in the perfect location. We rented a cabin for a total of 4 people over the 3 night memorial day weekend and spent just over $300 total. The price could not be beat.

The cabin itself was clean and basic. Each spot has a BBQ grill, porch swing, picnic table, fire ring, and parking. The staff was attentive but gave campers their freedom and space.

It is less than 30 minutes from Hershey and 35 from the Amish Country. It is situated in a nice town with a decent number of restaurants and bars to keep you busy.

Room Tip: They have a well stocked store, Giant foods is down the road, and they service all meals in the cafe...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank John F
North Conway, New Hampshire
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We just returned from two weeks of camping. The Elizabethtown Pa stay was awesome! Our site was a premier site with a patio, a fireplace, a swing and a bbq gas grill. The grounds a well kept, the staff delightful. Clean, Clean, Clean! We were less than a half hour from Hershey, about 40 mins from Amish Country and a bit over an hour from Gettysburg. I would come back in a heartbeat. Check this place out.

Room Tip: If you stay for a couple of days as we did, five actually. Go for the premier site. You will enjoy...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabethtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Mount Joy / Lancaster West
Comfort Inn at the Park
Comfort Inn at the Park
#10 of 25 in Hershey
Hershey RV & Camping Resort
PA Dutch Country RV Resort
Holiday Inn Express Elizabethtown (Hershey Area)
Circle M RV & Camping Resort

Been to Hershey KOA Campground? Share your experiences!