“Terribly rude and unprofessional staff. Vacation ruined.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elizabethtown
Hershey KOA Campground
Aberdeen, NJ
“Terribly rude and unprofessional staff. Vacation ruined.”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

It is a shame that such a clean and conveniently located campground must be given such a terrible rating.

The more expensive cabins were beautiful. Very clean.

Our "rustic" cabin was very clean and still very nice.

My husband and I visited this campground with my church-going aunt and uncle and their two incredibly well-behaved children. The harassment we had to endure was completely unnecessary and ruined our stay. A woman by the name of Debbie continuously harassed us in a golf cart as we walked around our campsite with our silly and well-behaved husky. We were told that we were not permitted to have our dog at the more expensive sites, only at the rustic site. As we were walking from our rustic site to the dog park that is available through KOA, Debbie came rushing around the corner on a golf cart. I waved and said hello, unaware of the woman's intentions. Upon seeing my family and I, she threw her hands up in the air and ran towards us, yelling. My uncle, the gentleman that he is, offered his hand to show no harm was meant. This woman's unjustified anger and irrational ranting went on for several minutes as I took the children and dog, and walked away so they did not have to endure this confusion and stress.

Another incident occurred when my cousin, uncle and I were browsing the general store. The three of us were the only customers in the store. We brought our purchases to the front counter where the woman told us we would "have to wait". We waited over a half an hour for this-what we could only guess to be intentionally-slow woman to complete a phone call for reservations. Our ice cream melted through by the time she rang up our order.

Lastly, while my family and I were in the game room (which was, of course, under watch from the moment we walked in), my young cousins went to the general store to request quarters for the billiard pool table and was told by the woman at the counter "we don't have enough for you". The woman was quickly interjected by an elderly male worker, and told her "Yes, we do have enough". (Thank goodness for this man, the only kind worker at KOA.)

There were also numerous signs giving incredibly detailed instructions about every little aspect of their campground. If they were not followed, you were asked to leave. I continuously asked myself how anyone could relax under these conditions. If we, a calm and well-meaning family, were treated like this, how are the more adventurous families treated?

I do not know if there was a reason my family was targeted. I do not know why our vacation was ruined. We are good people, with well-behaved children. We are hard-working Americans. Some questions will just never have answers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank Ullxneverxknow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We spent 6 nights here during the week with our school-age kids and our quiet dog and enjoyed our stay in our pop-up. The location is perfect (30 minutes in either direction) for Hershey Park and the Lancaster area, both of which great and probably why you are reading this. We met some nice people, had pleasant interaction with the staff, slept great and enjoyed the facilities. We were there during the week, so we enjoyed the place once it emptied out Sunday am. We liked the pool, the playground, the dog park and the location. The bathrooms were clean and nice. The mini-golf looked nice, but we opted for renting fishing polls instead. Poor choice, since all we did was feed the fish our worms. Can't blame the staff for that one, though. Stupid fish :-). We generally like KOA's, with all of their facilities, kids attractions, shine and polish, and this one seemed like it has gotten some extra attention. There are lots of rules, though, and we didn't have visitors or extra cars. I could see how other reviewers might not have liked those policies. Better read the fine print before you go and prepare for the extra charges or go somewhere else, I guess. We didn't see any psycho rude owners on golf carts causing problems. The only things we didn't like so much were the fact that there's not much space for kids to ride bikes around without traversing a big hill, and I didn't like having a gravel-only RV site. It was a choice, and we our site was nicely wooded, but I wouldn't do that again.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a gravel-only spot, the RV w/WES in the lower level are nicely wooded and less...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carl M
State College, PA
Reviewed 4 September 2013

In my opinion, the only way this campground stays in business is because of the Hershey Park crowd. The bathrooms that we used were clean and updated. It is fairly close to Hershey Park. That's the good. The bad... the sites we were in felt like a big parking lot and very cramped. Many of the employees at this campground were extremely rude and unprofessional. I was shocked when an employee YELLED at my 6yo daughter that she was not allowed to be at the playground alone. She wasn't... i was about 20-yards away, watching her. My wife met up with us on Friday. She parked her car at our site and walked up to the office to sign in. When she returned, she said the lady YELLED at her about not signing in first. I could go on, but why bother. We were reminded more than once that, while it is a KOA, they are privately owned and have their own rules. We would never stay here again... and would never recommend this campground to a friend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Gray52
Kingston
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We had planned to attend the Hershey RV show and booked a deluxe RV site months in advance. We were immediately charged the full price. I phoned 21 days before our arrival to cancel. The woman I spoke with could not tell me their cancellation policy. We cancelled as my Mother had just been diagnosed with cancer and was to undergo surgery. I explained this as the woman had rudely demanded to know why we were cancelling. We are VIP Koa members and had been advised there was no charge for cancellations made on time. The campground immediately booked our cancelled site. In spite of this, we were charged a $25.00 cancellation fee.
When I called the KOA Corporate office they were most gracious. After investigating they advised the campground would not change their policy but KOA are sending me a $25.00 credit voucher.
I strongly endorse KOA but not this individual park.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KingstonRhoderunner
Marlton
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Family trip to Hershey Park brought us to the KOA. We used a deluxe cabin and an adjoining RV site which was very accommodating in arranging. The escort helped us back in big rig. Entire staff could not have been friendlier! We did not use many of the facilities so cannot attest to cleanliness specifically but our site and cabin were nice and well cared for. Easy access to Hershey. Cost as expected at resort area, we would definite return here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I have been a camper all my life and have never experienced the rudeness that I did from the owner and her husband. He rides around on his golfcart checking in cars with his flashlight while his wife is walking her dogs spying on your campsite. We had my father in law stay for 2 hours for dinner and they charged him $6. They said register your car or leave. It was a terrible way to be spoke to. I will never go back there. Friendliness is a huge part of a persons camping experience. I would not reccomend this campground.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Lis8026
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

We have been camping for many years now and this is the unfriendliest place we have ever been! From the start we were made to feel as if our being there was a nuisance to the staff members. In the 4 days we were there we only received 1 hello from a staff member and we were making it a point to say hello to all of them. We were then charged $58 over 3 days to have visitors in the campground - day 1 it was $10 per person (holiday rate on July 3); day 2 it was $10 per vehicle (July 4 apparantly not a holiday); day 3 morning $8 for a vehicle, mid-morning it was $10 for another vehicle; evening while preparing dinner on the grill we were evicted for not having registered one of our guests! By this time we had been harassed by the staff everyday for visitor registrations (staff members sneaking around and looking in your vehicle windows when they think you cant see them). When I asked how we were to register a guest if we were paying to register a vehicle I was told, "I am not answering that, you have 30 minites to vacate or we will call the police and have you arrested for trespassing." Needless to say we left and will never be back. I would never recommend this place to even an enemy!

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank Edge-PA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabethtown
Comfort Inn at the Park
Circle M RV & Camping Resort
Amanda Gish House
Amanda Gish House
#1 of 3 in Elizabethtown

Been to Hershey KOA Campground? Share your experiences!