“Nice campground, but horrible staff! Makes you not want to stay there just on principle.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elizabethtown
Hershey KOA Campground
Durham, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Firstly I would say that the negative ratings below were exactly the same as our experience! The staff is extremely inhospitable and rude! They made me feel unwelcome and and not appreciated as a high paying customer. We spoke the owner personally, and she said that her campground had gotten negative reviews, because people just don't like to follow the rules. Well, the complaint is not about their rules; it's about them being just plain rude! I would have rated them as "1 star", but I gave an extra star, because the bathrooms were very clean. Would not visit Elizabethtown ever again due to this experience. Next time we will boondock at Walmart.

Room Tip: Avoid the female staff as much as possible.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Visitor612

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Pasadena, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Hershey KOA was the best. It was very Clean,Had very few kids activities. Movies always get cancelled. Dirty Pond, Train put you to sleep. We went when the pool was closed. We had a pop-up.
We will come back.

Room Tip: Book ahead of time.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Erik W
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I had to stay here while working an outage at TMI. The owner has some strange ideas about how to treat paying guests. The minute you check in she will start badgering you as to when you are leaving and curtly inform you that done working or not you will be kicked out before Thanksgiving. For all that wonderful hospitality (sarcasm) you will be told the monthly rate is $825 and a month is only 28 days. Don't bother pointing out that October has 31 days. She will tell you that she doesn't care because 28 days is easier for her. Translation: the greedy can steal even more from you. She will insist it is still a bargain because you are only paying for 17 days and getting the rest for free. Free? Really? Not! If your job lasts more than a KOA month she will charge you $260 per week or $50 per day. I don't think she grasps that you can get a hotel room cheaper than $50 per day, especially offseason in November, and she is providing nothing more than a patch of gravel. She isn't providing a bed or housekeeping. I like this lifestyle but I detest having to work places that cause me to deal with such greedy types as the woman who owns this campground. If you have any other options avoid this KOA at all costs.

• Stayed October 2013
10 Thank DWPL
Winchester, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Hershey KOA is beautifully landscaped with friendly helpful staff. It's a bit out of the way but quite a few campgrounds are located in rural areas so this is not unusual. KOA is always our first choice when traveling.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OBXPearl
marlboro
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

First let me say that yes this campground is clean and spacious. However, I agree with the situations that some have listed with the staff. They are not the most friendly in the world. They act like they have better things to do. Mostly the women in the office. I checked in and had to tell them several times I did not bring extra people. They kept saying "do you have any extra people?" I had already told them no several times. Then we were taken to our site by a gentleman on a golf cart. The first thing he told us was to be very careful starting a fire where they themselves had placed the fire pit. Also, we were told Hershey Park was only 14 minutes away meanwhile it was over 30 minutes away. I went to walk my dog with my daughter when she found a lost ball under a bush that was marked KOA. We took it to the office me with dog in hand, I did not take the dog into the store however, I stood at the door to watch her take the ball back. The first thing they started yelling was you can't bring that dog in here. I said I know that however she has something for you. They didn't want to touch it because it had some dirt on it. Not even a thank you for her returning it. Then on Sunday we had some technical difficulties with our fifth wheeler which caused us a delay. Check out it 11:30 am this was 12:15, the guy came back by on his golf cart and said did you call the office to report your late departure. I said no we are trying to fix a problem. He said they are probably going to charge you a late fee. You have to call the office now!! I called, at least I didn't get charged a late charge. Have mixed feelings about going back. Just don't know since I see all the other horrible reviews. And they relate so closely to the one I had.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank markat3
Lawrenceville, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Please know the other reviews are not off base. My dealings was with Mary and her face would crack if she actually was pleasant or smiled. I called 2 hours ahead and made reservations. Mary was like speaking to a machine but that's OK. We checked in at dusk in a flood and Ms. Mary was not your fuzzy welcome by any means. The older gentleman that led the way to our site was welcoming and polite and he had to get out in the storm for his job. My husband has the patience of Job, when I commented how cold Mary was he laughed me off. Then the next two times he made contact with her and another lady he certainly agreed.

The sites are much like a trailer park on gravel. You have to be rather tricky at parking to to position your RV where you are not in fromt of your neighbors front door but still close to the hook ups. Having the off leash dog park was a nice perk and having plastic bags available was nice as we forgot ours once.

A huge thank you to the gentleman that works there 20 hours a week and heads to Florida with other couples. He was next to us and represented what RVer's are like and what we usually get from KOA's..civility. The lady to our left was also warm. But I would not stay here again, there is no reason to be cold and now that I have read others comments I will definately skip the Hershey KOA on our return trip. GO STAY AT THE HERR"S MILL COVERED BRIDGE CAMPGROUND. We paid their office a visit before we left town never mentioning our experience. She was a human, a nice human!

Room Tip: Here's my tip: Don't spend your money here. This is not a normal KOA expereince. The ladi...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank BBelenchia
Aberdeen, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

It is a shame that such a clean and conveniently located campground must be given such a terrible rating.

The more expensive cabins were beautiful. Very clean.

Our "rustic" cabin was very clean and still very nice.

My husband and I visited this campground with my church-going aunt and uncle and their two incredibly well-behaved children. The harassment we had to endure was completely unnecessary and ruined our stay. A woman by the name of Debbie continuously harassed us in a golf cart as we walked around our campsite with our silly and well-behaved husky. We were told that we were not permitted to have our dog at the more expensive sites, only at the rustic site. As we were walking from our rustic site to the dog park that is available through KOA, Debbie came rushing around the corner on a golf cart. I waved and said hello, unaware of the woman's intentions. Upon seeing my family and I, she threw her hands up in the air and ran towards us, yelling. My uncle, the gentleman that he is, offered his hand to show no harm was meant. This woman's unjustified anger and irrational ranting went on for several minutes as I took the children and dog, and walked away so they did not have to endure this confusion and stress.

Another incident occurred when my cousin, uncle and I were browsing the general store. The three of us were the only customers in the store. We brought our purchases to the front counter where the woman told us we would "have to wait". We waited over a half an hour for this-what we could only guess to be intentionally-slow woman to complete a phone call for reservations. Our ice cream melted through by the time she rang up our order.

Lastly, while my family and I were in the game room (which was, of course, under watch from the moment we walked in), my young cousins went to the general store to request quarters for the billiard pool table and was told by the woman at the counter "we don't have enough for you". The woman was quickly interjected by an elderly male worker, and told her "Yes, we do have enough". (Thank goodness for this man, the only kind worker at KOA.)

There were also numerous signs giving incredibly detailed instructions about every little aspect of their campground. If they were not followed, you were asked to leave. I continuously asked myself how anyone could relax under these conditions. If we, a calm and well-meaning family, were treated like this, how are the more adventurous families treated?

I do not know if there was a reason my family was targeted. I do not know why our vacation was ruined. We are good people, with well-behaved children. We are hard-working Americans. Some questions will just never have answers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank Ullxneverxknow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabethtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Mount Joy / Lancaster West
Warehouse Hotel
Warehouse Hotel
#2 of 7 in Manheim
Hershey RV & Camping Resort
Holiday Inn Express Elizabethtown (Hershey Area)
PA Dutch Country RV Resort
Circle M RV & Camping Resort

Been to Hershey KOA Campground? Share your experiences!