“Loved it so much making it a family tradition”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elysburg
Knoebels Campground
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Ok so this was our 1st time ever going camping with our Pop-Up trailer that we just bought, so I dont really have to much of a camping experience. I always camped up til about the age of 15 so I dont really remember much. But anyways It was me, my husband and 2 daughters ages 8 and 3. WE LOVED every part of our trip and we stayed 2 nights. We stayed over monday and tuesday night so it wasnt crowded. We checked in and the lovely lady tried finding a campsite that suited our needs. And she did she found our restroom right across the little street and found a level area. The campground store had our S'Mores needs and anything else we needed. It was a short walk to the park. The bathrooms and showers we clean enough. Lets just say for our 1st time as a family camping, it was perfect. We plan on doing this every year maybe twice. And the plus is which we didnt know is that your dog can camp with you and go to the park with you, no more paying the costly dog boarding facility. Plus the park is cheap and great for the little kids..

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank LuvMyBrussels

Reviewed 16 August 2010

The park itself is a secret that is getting out. Each year I see more and more people coming from further and further away which tends to make the park crowded on a weekend in the summer. I recommend to visit during the week. There is no park that I know of that has free parking (yes it is in on a dirt and grass field), free admission and food so reasonably priced. Try going to great adventure with a family of four and leaving without spending at least 200.00 for the day which includes a nice heft 15.00 parking fee. For me its great because I dont ride al the rides so why should i pay 35.00 just to walk into a park so my chid can ride? well that is what is great about this place. Plus if you have small kids who may only be able to ride ets say 6 rides or so, you are only paying for the rides they go on instead of a big whopping parkin entrance fee. The food is great. Awesome, old fashion funnel cakes and I say that because some parks are actually cutting corners by having frozen pre made funnel cakes that they just heat up in oil. This place makes them from scratch with 4 older ladies making them who are super nice. One puts the batter in the fryer, one takes it out, one sugars it and the last one delivers it to you with a smile. when is the last time you got a smile at one of the six flag places? Some of the younger ride workers do seem to care more about their cell phones but what teenager doesnt? Most of the workers friendly and I can always get help if I ask. About dogs in the park-I have never seen a dog pooh in the park and an owner leave it. It must be a rare event and the dog owners are always respectful. I did notice many rides have increased in price but what place hasnt increased? there is a huge selection of rides for all ages and tons of options to eat. What is great is that if you dont want to eat in the park then you can grill right outside of it under trees and pavilons. You do want to get there early to get a good table. but many parks dont even allow this. So that is a nice thing. The pool is old and it needs some repairs. I would say it needs a really good over haul. Plus they need to invest in more options for sitting around the pool. there isnt a whole lot of room and it isnt very private at all. But they do have fun slides and the water is spring fed from the mountains. its cold but so clean. wed is the best day to use the pool as it is the least crowded. weekends can be brutal. now the camp ground. its loud, smokey and crowded. I recommend a week day stay. In fact I recommend visiting during a week day period. I think they could make the bathrooms more updated and cleaner. but really they dont have to. the crowds are supporting it as it is now. I dont think I will camp again but will always come back. its a great place. its one of the states best kept secrets and I hope it always stays that way.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank mkcbcn
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I tried to make a reservation and was told that they were booked up. We are meeting other family members who are camping there that weekend and asked if any spots became available, could they call me. I was curtly told "We are too busy to make a list". Given all the good things that I read about this park, I was suprised to hear that.

I think we will go elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bwco
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We went to Elysburg to go to Knoebels Park. I had heard about it online and saw it featured on Food Network. When we got there all the campsites are soooo crammed together. I went to use the restroom and the doors had holes through them, the floor was wet, pee all over the place and NO TOILET SEATS!! I just ran out of there as fast as I could. I went down the road to McDonalds to use their restroom. The bathroom/showers are in need of updating!!! I felt like they went to a jail auction saw their stainless steel toilets and snatched them up. The shower rooms are this ugly tile and very very old. I couldn't believe people actually used them!

If you have young children, maybe consider getting a hotel in Elysburg and not stay at the campground. Since they have a high volume of people there were a lot noise at night! The only convient thing is that the park is right next to the campground (within walking distance). When we got into the park I just got this feeling of grossness. It's run down. The staff at the park and at the campground are very rude and don't seem to care about their jobs. They rather spend time texting on their phones than pay attention to the ride itself. I saw many parents that tried to take their young children on the Hunted Mansion ride. I saw a woman who brought her newborn baby on the ride and was wondering why her baby was crying at the end of the ride!! I give the park credit for making a good website but it's not as nice as they make it seem when you get there. We did make it through the night but ended up leaving a day early. Usually I don't mind if a place is a little dirty and I'm very used to the camping lifestyle but this place was just awful.

They do have 2 really good wooden roller coasters the Phoenix and the Twister that's a bout the only good thing about this place.

I would just have thought that with them being featured on Food Network they would have the means to keep their place clean but that wasn't the case. They allow dogs inside the park it'self which seems really odd, so you have to watch your step for dog poop!

They really need to do some updating inside the park and in the campground. They should at the very least update the campground bathrooms they were so gross that I just about puked when I opened the door! My advice to you is that you get a regular hotel in a nearby town but don't stay in the campground if you have young children it's not sanitary!

They have a pool but it closes at 4PM!!! I wouldn't even go near the pool very outdated!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank ThelillyKat
Reviewed 19 May 2010

We go to Knoebels just about every year.. Sometimes we camp and sometimes we motel it.. The campground is pretty tight but we are really only there to sleep.. We do go with other families sometimes and the close sites work out for us but I can see where others wouldn't like it.. The bathrooms are dirty towards the end of the morning and the end of the night.. They do clean them often but what do you expect with the volume of people going through there.. Overall I like it here for the atmosphere and the close proximity to the park.. Also if you are tent people request a platform site, it helps alot when you get that night of rain..

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Let me tell you, I ALWAYS have a great time here! There are a few things you want to know before going there. The sections of the campground are named as states and candadian provinces. If you look at a campground map, find the canadian provinces. Youll want to reserve a site in the back. The sites are HUGE and back up to the woods. Book a few months in advance and you'll be set! Another thing you'll want to know is the park tickets for the Amusement park are A LOT cheaper if you go early in the season. For this reason, my family and several other families we know always go the weekend before memorial day. The pay-one-price stamp is only $20 for the day! If you don't ride the rides, but your kids do, you can get into the park for free and just pay for your kids. If you have pets, you can bring them into the park with you! The best place to eat is the food court area, there are foods from around the world, and everyone in your family will be able to find something they like. And the park hours are 12(noon)-8 when we go, so we can sleep in and make a nice breakfast before going to the park. I hope you take a second chance to come here, it's a fantastic park/campground if you know the secrets!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
8  Thank rudyboxer
Reviewed 1 May 2010

My family has been going here every summer for generations - ever since the only attractions were the creek and mini steam train. I've seen several of the rides and attractions come and go (the steel "cat n mouse" coaster, the roller rink, the swing cages by the mini golf course). I'm not sure what you expect from camping at an amusement park but I would think common sense would dictate that it would be a boisterous atmosphere. If you want quiet, I don't recommend coming here. Amusement parks in general are not quiet venues.
The campground - YES - it's noisy and tight. For our family, that's part of the fun. It's like one big party that's family appropriate (I've never experienced crazy drunk types or anything that would make a family feel uneasy). We have met so many great people from all over the country just because we set up next to them. Some we've met back year after year. Most nights are spent gathered around a giant fire, enjoying smores, stories and music. The kids have a great time and it's safe.
The bathrooms...yes, the bathrooms have been the same since the 1980's....but, camping is generally a dirty sport. It's not like you're going to be living here forever - grin and bear it! Oh, and watch out for the skunks....
If you are just not IN to the camping, you can always stay nearby. Bloomsburg offers several options - we like the Inn at Turkey Hill.

The amusement park is awesome! Mainly because it's affordable for families. If you are looking for the only amusement park in America that DOES NOT charge a flat entrance fee?? This is your place. You can wander around, enjoying the music and festivities for FREE. You can purchase a hand stamp for the rides or individual tickets. You are not a prisoner in the park and can come-and-go without having to repay to enter. Oh, and where else can you still find enjoyable rides for the kids for under $1?!?!?

The food is reasonable and bad for you - just how we like it when we're on vacation :)
Lots of selection and even stuff for those watching their weight...The park also offers one sit-down restaurant called the Alamo. It's been there for as long as I can remember (and that's about 40 years). Features home-cooked staples like fried chicken, turkey, beef...meat-and-potatoes dishes. Oh, I suggest getting the coleslaw....

The theme park also features a GIANT pool area. Anyone who says the pool is expensive is living in the land of fairies and gumdrops! They have an enormous zero-entry pool, waterslides, kiddy area and playground (a tree house that you can climb and ball pit)...it's less than $10 a person for the entire day.

Yes, I'm sure the Knoebles family has a lot of money....and good for them! They have been approached by Six Flags time-and-time again to sell the park....which would do nothing but make the place extremely expensive for families...and they've refused to do so. As far as I'm concerned it's a best-kept secret and you're not going to find an amusement park anywhere in the country that's this affordable.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank blb724
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elysburg
Hampton Inn Danville
Hampton Inn Danville
#1 of 6 in Danville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Frackville (Pottsville)
Red Roof Inn Danville
Red Roof Inn Danville
#3 of 6 in Danville
Pine Barn Inn
Pine Barn Inn
#2 of 6 in Danville
Best Western Plus Country Cupboard Inn

Been to Knoebels Campground? Share your experiences!