“Unprofessional Owner/Manager”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Extremely unprofessional owner/management - I have been to Al's of Hampden in the past and the food was ok. After they moved to their new building I had considered checking them out again and liked them on Facebook. I was pretty shocked last night when the owner not only re-posted a negative status from a customer's facebook page (I can understand if you put it on facebook, it's fair game) but also posted the contents of what appeared to be a lengthy, well written correspondence from the customer to the business. I commented and asked why the letter was posted and that I had found that curious... a few minutes later, my comment was deleted. I have to say that I enjoy reading reviews on places, but I place a lot of weight on how a business responds to a negative review. No place is perfect and nowhere can make everyone happy, but how management responds is very telling for me. The fact that the owner publicly made a spectacle of this customer, appeared to be insecure and wanting all the Ra-Ra comments from his friends, and then deleted the post very politely questioning why he did it just speaks volumes to me in addition to his post about wishing he could rate the customers. The lengthy post has been deleted this morning by the customer so all of the comments that followed have also disappeared, but I thought it important to share that this is an establishment that does not desire any feedback that most owners probably learn and grow from. If you send them private correspondence, you may be subjected to public ridicule on facebook. I just cannot fathom a more unprofessional and tactless way to treat any customer, even a disgruntled one. You would think that being a pizza place in Enola, they would realize how much competition there is and not alienate people to this extent. I am disgusted and my decision to not try out the new place is easy.

3  Thank dwinn717

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have never stayed and ate in the restaurant because I live about a mile away. It has an amazing selection of beers including its own micro-brews. The brewery is right on the premises. We order subs, pizza and salads for take out all the time. The food is good and the portion sizes generous.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Visited for the first time yesterday evening (Sunday, 6 April 2014) around 6p. Place was busy, and that has to be for good reason. Unique selection of not only food, but beer as well. I figured I'd go simple and something that if you screw it up, it's not worth trying anything else. Wings were decent, nothing to write home about. Sauce was unique (Sweet & Sour). Service left a little to be desired, but on a busy Sunday, you can't please everyone at once. Restaurant was clean, gentleman at the counter seemed a bit rushed, but was doing his best. I'd definitely try it again and give some more menu options a chance. Beer Menu is clearly displayed on flat screen TV's with around 100 options, including their own brewery (Pizza Boy). Tried #43, Lemon Mint and was oddly surprised.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Visited with a co-worker for dinner March 15th. We arrived at 6pm and the place was very busy, as expected. We were surprised by the location, we would have driven right past the place if we didn't have a GPS to get us there. We went to the front counter and asked for a table. The counter help said "um we are really busy and it seems like everyone has large groups tonight". Just then, a customer heard us, and told us they were leaving and we could have their booth. The seating is a bit awkward. Then came the time to order food. No menus on the table. Had to get up, walk to the counter, get menus and walk back to the table. Once we figured out what we wanted, we walked back up to the counter, ordered, and they gave us a number to put on our table. Food came out hot and was good. Much better food than expected. Place very clean, but very loud. Kid friendly.

Then there's the beer. They have 102 drafts, give or take a few. The menu is on the wall, hard to read from the seats- actually impossible to read unless you are standing near them. They need to print the beer listing and put them at the tables WITH the food menus. Went to get a beer and asked for a "splash" to taste a beer before ordering an entire glass. Bar workers laughed and said, "we don't do that", just order by number. Um, ok. I did it, and the beer I got, tasted like crap because it was not my style and I couldn't even have a partial taste of it first. I find it hard to understand why they don't offer tastes or flights??? This place could have a good business going if the owners pay attention to the details, add tasters and flights and listen to what people are reviewing.

1  Thank JPVenezia
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Ok, don't misunderstand. This place is for beer drinkers and people who are looking for micro-brews, unusual brews, and beer that is out of the ordinary. You will probably drive right by the building. It's in an industrial park and the sign is awful. The name is only on the glass door and is very hard to read. However, once you get in the place you will have more choices than you can handle. Some of the Pizza Boy brews are good (the place brews it) but you will enjoy the brews from established companies even more. The food is fine: just the average pizza place fare. The surroundings are pretty sterile and it can be chilly inside so dress accordingly. The lighting sucks and the staff is pretty blah, but this place is about the BEER. If you want more atmosphere and better staff, go to their other location (Al's Pizza... still in Enola.)

Been to ALS of Hampden? Share your experiences!