“Home Away From Home”
Review of Kimmell House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ephrata
Kimmell House
Ranked #7 of 8 Ephrata B&B and Inns
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We live in the country, so staying at the Kimmell House was like a home away from home for us. This was our first trip to PA, so we didn't know what to expect, but Bonnie made us feel at home by welcoming us. The breakfast is like no other that we have tasted, the cookies were homemade;everything was made with love! Bonnie advised us with places to eat and shop, gave us information on the Amish. If you are looking for a elegant yet simple, historic, relaxing, simply a home away from home, then I recommend booking ASAP cause we are telling everyone about this Bed and Breakfast!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bracebridge, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This 1795 stone house is authentically kept and the gardens are lovely. A large parking area is located at the side of the house where a walkway winds its way to the front door. The interior harkens back to a time when life was simpler as displayed by the colour choices, stencilling and colonial furniture. Each bedroom is inviting, clean and comfortable with ensuite baths.
We stayed in The Colonial Room for three nights and were greeted each morning with a hot breakfast which was carefully prepared by the lady of the house, Bonnie. The diversification of food she offers displays her interest in cooking and presentation. What a treat! Coffee, tea, water, fruit and treats were available anytime of the day. Bonnie's husband Dave was an interesting conversationalist as he recounted the history of the home and area. Bonnie and Dave show great hospitality and genuinely love people. They are always courteous and helpful.
The Kimmell House is a perfect location for seeing Lancaster County. We loved The Ephrata Cloister, The Hans Herr House and The Tabernacle at the Mennonite Centre. Lancaster's roads are smooth and clean; the surrounding countryside is complete with rolling hills, immaculately kept farms and no litter! Lancaster is a treat for the eyes!
Thankyou Bonnie and Dave for making our trip enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank George Patti W
Niskayuna, New York
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed here in mid-october and were extremely impressed. Authentic stone house built in the late 16th century with tasteful updates including hardware and detailing. we stayed in the Hunt room which was very large with a private bathroom as I believe all rooms have. Not too big and not too small. Very convenient location to all things Lancaster and beyond. About an hour and a half to Get tysburg. About a mile walk to downtown Ephrata, either from the lit pathway or stay on State Street. Delicious hearty breakfast and 24 hour access to coffee and snacks. Bonnie was delightful, informative, and great cook. They even have a cute gift shop. Already planning our next trip back and definitely staying here again if she'll have us. I had to call her late at night to keep the door unlocked because I forgot my key.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dyefrog
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Excellent stay. Bonnie is an amazing hostess. She was kind, accomodating, and an excellent cook! We stayed for two nights. Impressive beakfast both mornings. Bonnie provided suggestions for activities as well as dining. The house itself is beautiful, rustic and charming. We stayed in the Hunt Room which was extremely comfy.

Room Tip: Hunt Room was perfect for 3 adults!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Sicklerville, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My son and I stayed at the Kimmell House from August 29 thru September 2nd and I must say it was the most wonderful stay a person could have a wonderful host and hostess innkeepers Bonnie and Dave made us feel so welcome and at home. They made us feel like family. I have never been to a bed and breakfast before and it was the best. Excellent courteous service,great breakfast and centrally located to all the attractions that you want to see. I recommend this bed and breakfast to everyone.

The rooms are so quaint and spacious,beautifully designed and decorated. We stayed in the Hunt room which is one of the largest rooms and has a nice deep tub. The grounds are so well maintained and the garden is beautiful. I will make this my bed and breakfast whenever I am in Lancaster county,keep up the good work Bonnie and Dave.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Sicklerville, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 September 2013

... this is all because of the the WONDERFUL hospitality that the InnKeepers at Kimmell House provided. Dave and Bonnie were so welcoming, warm-hearted and caring. That made me and my Mother feel right at home. My mother has never been to a B&B so I wanted to treat her. We stayed in the Hunt Room, which is very spacious with an elevated queen bed and sleigh twin bed. Beautiful architecture, and Bonnie did all the painting and decorations herself. It feels like stepping back in the 1700s there. WE LOVED our stay. From the time we checked in on Thursday 29th till this morning (2nd) we felt pampered and loved. The breakfast every morning was superb. Always wonderful surprises. With my big appetite they made sure I was well fed, lol. They offered suggestions on day trips and restaurants and even the little things we loved - like little chocolate candies on our bed sometimes. But besides all of that great stuff, we had nice conversations and laughed together. So it never felt like a guest - innkeeper relationship, but more like friends.

We were so sad to leave, but will definitely recommend Kimmell House to friends and family. We are planning to visit Bonnie and Dave again next year in the spring or fall.

Thank you both for making us feel welcomed and part of the family. We miss you two already.

André and Donna

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Mexico, New York, USA
Reviewed 13 August 2013

During a "girls week" away in Lancaster PA, we ended up in Ephrata during the trip. Part of the fun was staying in a different area each night and we decided to stay at The Kimmell House on a whim, and it turned out to be the perfect choice!

The Kimmell House literally transports you back to an earlier time and the moment you walk through the front door, you feel right at home. You are greeted by the owners, Dave and Bonnie as though you were an old friend and are immediately welcomed into their home. They have spared no expense to ensure their guests have everything they need and then some. I am a huge coffee drinker and here in The Kimmell House, you have access to the kitchen, a coffee bar where you help yourself, complete with home baked goods. Just thought I would mention this as a highlight for all the coffee drinkers out there :)

The grounds are beautiful, the sitting areas invitng and my favorite was a trickling fountain right off the patio to provide a peaceful atomsphere! The Inn is immaculate, inside and out. A sit down breakfast is included and Bonnie does a fantastic job. The food was absolutely delicious and the presentation wonderful. NOTE: My friend suffers from several food allergies, two of which were served for breakfast and upon learning this Bonnie immediately offered substitutions. Just mentioning this for anyone who has food allergies, as my friend should have told Bonnie she has dietary restrictions.

The rating on The Kimmell House is off the chart and a must stay if you are in the area. Thank you Dave and Bonnie for an amazing experience! It is obviously that they have put their heart and soul into this business, the kindness, warmth and hospitality shines through.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephrata
Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs
Comfort Inn of Lancaster County North
Historic Smithton Inn
Historic Smithton Inn
#1 of 8 in Ephrata
1777 Americana Inn Bed & Breakfast
Hurst House Bed & Breakfast
Black Horse Lodge and Suites

Been to Kimmell House? Share your experiences!