“Bed & Breakfast disappointment”

1777 Americana Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 8 Ephrata B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lynbrook, New York
“Bed & Breakfast disappointment”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Although I found the pictures online to be deceptive in that they were taken from angles to make everything look bigger ( not uncommon) , and I did not find the property as manicured as described, my main problem with this B&B is that they advertise the Rustc Hideaway as suitable for 4 people. They advertise some highlights as a " private en suite bath" and " private jacuzzi tub". Although looking forward to the tub due to recent back pain, what I found was the tub in full view of the living room, and the bathroom on the second floor loft adjoining the bed. Therefore, if my wife and/or I wanted to use the jacuzzi we would be in full view of my mother who would be sleeping on the pullout couch! Since there was no pool on premises, I did not pack a bathing suit, and this was a jacuzzi, not a hot tub. I have since viewed the room pictures over and over, and question whether the jacuzzi pictured is even in this room because I cannot see the stairs that abut the jacuzzi.

Which brings me to my next two problems. In order to use the bathroom or sink my 84 year old mother would have to climb one small flight of stairs to a landing where the jacuzzi was located, and then a larger flight of stairs to the loft, at night passing next to the bed my wife and I would be sleeping in! Then, on her way down the stairs, with only small night lights (two at most) along the stairs, she could potentially lose her balance and take a header into the jacuzzi! Besides the fact that with her COPD ( chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) she would have to climb these stairs just to use the bathroom or sink. The owner was well aware at booking that there was going to be a third person in the room, so how are the jacuzzi and bathroom considered private??!

There was no one at the reception desk when we arrived, just typed welcome letters containing the room key, so there was no one to talk to about this situation. We subsequently had to make other accommodation arrangements, and when we returned at approximately 3:30 (check-in technically started at 3:00) and spoke to the owner he apologized, but said he could not refund our money because it wasn't within the 15 day cancellation period- we only booked 4 days prior to our visit! My friends who were traveling with us, and were to have stayed in a second room had done the booking online for both rooms, and says that the email confirmation he received did not mention this cancellation policy. He also had 3 telephone conversations with the owner prior to booking because we wanted to make sure these accommodations would meet our needs, and was not informed of this policy or the location of the jacuzzi and bath. I also have not seen this policy stated on their website. Now my friend has to dispute the charges with his credit card company.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank KevinBove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Best place I have ever stayed in...super clean ...cozy...wine both white and red ...beer...bottle water snacks on all on the house for guests... who does that today ...great owners very friendly ...one of the few places I really look forward to staying at ...Randal

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank 321688
Simpsonville
Reviewed 31 July 2014

1777 Americana Inn Bed & Breakfast was beautiful. It was only a one night stay, I would have "moved in" if possible!!! The cottage has that warm, cozy home away from home feel, beautifully decorated. Breakfast was fabulous!! Looking forward to visiting again when the Craft House is finished!!

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I recently stayed in the Tranquility Cottage for our anniversary. Our room was beautiful and had everything we needed. The main house was also just as beautiful.
I have to eat a gluten free diet which I requested in advance for breakfast. It was happily made for me and absolutely delicious.

We also walked a few blocks up the street to have dinner at Lilys on Main which great.

We couldn't be happier with our stay at the 1777 Americana Inn!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The room was beautiful and charming. The breakfast was delicious. We had a wonderful time and will want to go back again. The owners are very nice people. We wished that we would have been able to stay a couple of days instead of just one!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Pasadena, Maryland
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had a wonderfully romantic and peaceful time at 1777 Americana Inn B and B! Stayed in the Rustic Hideaway; loved it! Breakfast was delicious! We were warmly welcomed and made to feel at home. Definitely reserving again!

Barbara W.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Seaford, Delaware
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed at the Americana last October with my wife. Beautiful building with the rooms gorgeous.
The Inn is directly on the main street through town but we found this to be no problem.
Our room overlooked Main Street. The good was very nice in the morning-had snacks in the dining room in case you came back hungry.
I was caught short without a bottle of wine--the owner had an assortment of wines on hand and given to me for free-no complaint there!!
The Inn is a short walk from downtown--had a wonderful dinner at Lillie's downtown.
Farmers Market on Saturday was nice also.
Overall the trip was fantastic!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephrata
Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs
Eden Resort & Suites, BW Premier Collection
BEST WESTERN PLUS Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
Historic Smithton Inn
Historic Smithton Inn
#1 of 8 in Ephrata
Hurst House Bed & Breakfast
EJ Bowman House Bed and Breakfast

Been to 1777 Americana Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!