“A Good Safe Bet”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Short Hills, New Jersey
“A Good Safe Bet”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

What makes this hotel better than good is the service. The front desk was more than accomodating. They were helpful and attentive...pretty unusal nowadays, huh? The hotel was quiet, and in a perfect location.
However, I did not sleep well. The Auto Heat went on and off throughout the night. It was like someone groaning next to me.
If I am in the area again, I will definitely return....just not to the room I had.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank suzzie71
dianabernardo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for your review - my Team will appreciate the recognition for what is indeed unusual in most places- but we don't think "helpful and attentive" should ever go out of style - especially at a hotel! I am glad you enjoyed our location, which we agree is perfect along charming Main Street in downtown Ephrata, but still close to the Lancaster County attractions. Regarding the heat, the units do cycle at night to maintain temperature - but here's a tip for your next visit: switch it over to "on" and it will not cycle like it does on "auto", allowing for uninterrupted rest. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Maryland
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Hotel was very clean and staff was wonderful, We asked them for a recommendation for dinner and they told us about Johnnys Steak House( a local spot) and they were right. It was one of the best meals we had. We will be going back for sure!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarylandPicky
dianabernardo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Sounds like you made TWO great choices on your visit! Johnny's Steakhouse is one of my personal favorites (I hope you had the garlic mashed potatoes with your steak!) and its sister restaurant in the same building, Kyma, is an excellent choice for seafood lovers (they also serve Johnny's steaks) and should be on your list when you return. Thank you for your kind words about our hotel & staff. They get special recognition with each comment and I appreciate your review!
Boston, MA
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My work, as a writer, photographer, keeps me on the road through much of the year. The majority of places where I stay fall into the category of “okay”, a few fall into the category of “awful” and fewer still reach the highest level of true excellence. Sadly, I’ve come to believe that few owners/managers of hotels fully appreciate the most important factor setting the truly excellent apart from the merely acceptable. Is it the overall cleanness and comfort of the rooms? Certainly, a clean, comfortable and well-planned room is important to most travelers. How about the amenities? As a business traveler, I need reliable access to the Internet as well as a decent desk on which to work. I enjoy a motel that offers an exercise area and/or indoor swimming pool and being able to grab a quick onsite breakfast is always welcome. Nonetheless, in my opinion, these things, while important, are not enough to move lodging from “good” to “great”. Based on my extensive travel experience, staying in many different type lodgings, the single most important factor that can make or break a visit for me is the people working at the location.

When I arrived at the Hampton Inn, Ephrata, Pennsylvania, I had been on the road for about a week, having stayed in a series of motels ranging from the barely acceptable to the fine, if not great. I was road weary, hungry and feeling a bit irritable when I walked into the lobby. Within minutes, the desk clerk had me smiling and even laughing. She instantly made me feel welcome and “at home”. She carefully explained the times for breakfast and evening snacks, the layout of the motel and the location of nearby restaurants. I rode the well-kept elevator upstairs and found my room, a large, well laid out room that was immaculately clean. I was thrilled to note that the work desk was – for once – a real desk, complete with ample work space in which to spread out and a fully adjustable, professional quality desk chair. I set up my laptop, found the Internet connection to be very quick and reliable and began responding to my e-mail. A few minutes later, the room phone rang, the folks at the front desk wanted to know if the room met my needs and if there was anything else I needed.

Throughout my two-day stay, I encountered a number of staff persons, all of whom took time to stop and ask about my stay and to ask if there was anything, I might need. Breakfast was served in a large, sunny room off the main lobby. The menu included most of the standard items, yogurt, cereal, make-them-yourself waffles, fruit, eggs and sausage. The woman in charge of the breakfast area was friendly, efficient and helpful. When I returned to the hotel, after a day of work, a different desk clerk greeted me by name, something I find admirable and a bit surprising. As had her collogue, she appeared genuinely interested in knowing if the motel met my needs or if there was anything I might need. This is exceptional, for I am certain that attempting to remember the names of every guest in a large motel is not an easy task.

When you travel extensively, it is normal to become somewhat jaded and tired of the impersonal nature of most motels/hotels. Personally, I get tired of being seen as merely another “guest” that is more of a necessary evil than the main focus of the business. You walk into a motel, give your reservation information and feel lucky when the clerk manages to find the reservation without trouble. For the remainder of your visit – whether you stay for a one night or weeks – you feel lucky if the staff even notice you as you pass their desk. It’s rare, at even the most expensive places, to have the desk personnel remember your name or to inquire as to your stay beyond the first preliminary small talk as you register. I’d strongly urge the corporate leadership at Hampton Inns, to consider sending under-performing owners/managers to the Hampton in Ephrata for a week in order to learn the secrets of achieving the status of a truly excellent motel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Shoya
I must say that this is my favorite review of all time. Thank you for taking the time to write such an eloquent, detailed review from the perspective of a seasoned traveler. I too believe it's the "staff, not the stuff" that makes a hotel a great place to stay AND work, and I am so proud that my Team delivered on our promise of outstanding service. Having a clean and comfortable property is definitely important, but keeping my Team motivated & engaged is my passion. I am working on my next hotel newsletter and your comments will be the highlight of how we "make a difference" every day. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, you have made my day and will surely show my Team that making a personal connection with our Guests is what has led us to be a 6-time "Lighthouse" Award winner from Hilton Worldwide. We hope you will join us again on our next visit to Lancaster County!
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I spent one night at this location and found it to be wonderful in every way - from making the reservation, to the cost, to checking in, to the cleanliness and comfort of our room and even checking out. Every employee we interacted with was warm, friendly and helpful - great customer service makes such a difference. Thanks for making our one night getaway a great one!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lara B
dianabernardo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your overnight getaway! I am very proud of our remarkable Team for taking ownership of outstanding service every day - they will be pleased to hear they were recognized in your review. Be sure to check our website for special overnight packages so you have an "excuse" to come back!
Floyd, NY
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This is by far the most outgoing group of Hampton Inn employees we've ever come across. Greeted us every time we walked in the lobby or got off the elevator. Several employees buzzing around the breakfast area. Hotel was a typical Hampton, well maintained. The only negative was the box spring was beginning to show some where, a little on the noisy side when moving in bed. May have even eaten breakfast next to Bill Gates but not really sure. It looked like him but don't visit to see Bill, visit because it is a nice hotel with a good staff.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Jgouger
dianabernardo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
With almost 2,000 Hampton Brand hotels in the world, we are honored you called us the "Friendliest Hampton Ever"! Thanks so much for recognizing our engaged and wonderful Team. We are certainly blessed to have them!

We will keep a close eye on our box springs for wear; as a newer hotel we always want our Guests to experience the best quality we can offer. And as for Bill Gates eating breakfast at our hotel...well, we can't confirm or deny it, but if it was him, we think he sure has good taste in hotel brands....(-:
Bloomington, IN
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stopped here for one night on the way to Philadelphia; it was very reasonably priced, really clean, and the staff was very friendly. We got in late and I called to ask whether the rollaway that we needed could be put in the room (since our kids would be asleep), and they said it was already there, this was really nice. The neighborhood was pleasant, and very quiet, and the beds were comfortable - a great night's sleep! The breakfast was standard for a Hampton Inn, all perfectly fresh and plenty of everything. The only slight problem was that the rollaway was a nice big size (which was a plus), but it barely fit in the room, which was great for 4 people but not all that spacious for 5. It was fine for one night, though. Overall I definitely recommend it as a good place an hour outside of Philadelphia.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank INTraveller
We are pleased you found us on your way to Philly! "Peaceful" definitely describes our setting in a quiet neighborhood on Main Street, and I am glad you experienced our small-town charm on your way to the big city. The rollaway beds we chose do not fold up so that they are more comfortable to sleep on; in the future you may request an "accessible" queen room, which allows more than ample space for one or even two rollaway beds. The extra bed can get a bit cramped in the standard rooms and this will make sure you are more comfortable. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff - "friendly" is our mission and I am glad we fulfilled it on your stay! Hope to see you again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed there for a weekend getaway, we arrived late and were greeted by a friendly desk clerk. The room was clean and comfortable and had a great night view of the town and its night lights. In the morning the complimentary breakfast is served in a nice bright room off the lobby. It was well stocked despite the large number of people availing themselves. The staff is cheerful and very friendly and the hotel is located right downtown which makes it an easy walk everywhere. The town is in a nice historic area and offer access to many attractions, so the location is also a plus. The rate was unbeatable when compared to other hotels in the area at least this time of year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the town, you will like it at night.