“Saluting the Smithton Inn” 5 of 5 bubbles

Historic Smithton Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Ephrata B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, United States
“Saluting the Smithton Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

On Veteran's Day, Rebecca and Dave were kind enough to offer rooms to veterans as a way of "thanking" them for their service! We were lucky enough to be able to enjoy their beautiful
B & B and fine hospitality. The Inn has such historic character but also modern amenities like a whirlpool tub!! And then a nice relaxing evening in front of the fireplace...Imagine that! Breakfast by Rebecca was fabulous and directions and tourist attraction info by Dave made for a wonderful experience! And tricks performed by their dog, Lucky, were fun to watch. The Historic Smithton Inn is a MUST to visit and enjoy!!

Room Tip: The cottage is unique, as long as you can use the stairs because it has 2 floors.
1 Thank Kristine E
HistoricSmithton, Owner at Historic Smithton Inn, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
We feel so lucky and blessed to actually be in a position to thank our Vets on Veterans day... I'm so glad you were able to take advantage of a free "B&Bs for Vets" night with us!! This was the fourth year we participated in the program, and I look forward to it each year, because I get to meet (and thank) great folks like YOU!! Thank you again for your service!!

And speaking of lucky.... Lucky says "hello" and she hopes to perform for you again sometime soon! Never was there a more appropriately named dog... you guys gave her so much attention, she was in heaven!

Take care & thanks for taking the time to share your experience at our B&B!!!
~Rebecca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I've stayed a few times at this B&B and it's really just about as good as it gets....prices are fair, the rooms are AUTHENTICALLY furnished with antiques etc BUT are COMFORTABLE and have all modern amenities, the owners are friendly but not intrusive and the breakfast is really delicious. Those factors add up to a perfect B&B in my book.

1 Thank ManhattanWilliam
HistoricSmithton, Owner at Historic Smithton Inn, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
William - thanks for taking the time to share your experience at the Historic Smithton Inn. It means so much to us that you like staying here enough to come BACK again and again... especially since we love catching up with you and hearing about your latest travels... you and Fernando DO manage to go to some really great places! I love your attitude toward travel and really SEEING/experiencing the places you visit... I'm always impressed with the cool "off the beaten path" shops that you manage to find on your own here... like that local cheese shop on this last visit. I look forward to seeing you guys again soon, there's plenty more here to 'discover'... or you can always just relax in front of the fireplace and catch up on movie-watching... or BOTH!!
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

As this was our second trip to the Inn and will not be our last might I add, Rebecca and Dave made us feel like we were just part of their family.
With her fantastic culinary skills, I have since asked if she and Dave would adopt a 59 year old man! You truely will never get a better breafeast even if you stayed at some high end place spending way more than you need to.
The owners never hesitated when being asked aything about Ephrata and the surrounding areas and their recomendations were always spot on.
My wife and I have stayed at a lot of Cottages and Inns and I can say without a doubt that staying at the Smithton Inn and being pampered by its owners is second to none.
Should one be planning a trip and looking for a place to stay...stop your search right now as you have just found the perfect place ...bar none!
Exceptionally clean rooms, great food, and a newly found friendship with the owners. You won't get that in some fancy Hotel!

1 Thank John S
John, thank you so much for the fantastic review! And we would "adopt" you and Lee-Ann in a heart-beat, you guys kept us laughing the whole three days you were here... plus, it's wonderful to cook for folks who enjoy a delicious breakfast... which I LOVE cooking! I'm so glad you liked our recommendations for drives/tours/shops/restaurants... we'll have more for you when you come back on your next trip! Hope to see you again soon! ~ Rebecca
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I stayed here before when the inn first opened several years ago. I thought the Crimson Dove room was my favorite, but this time I stayed in the Tailor's Cottage, and that's my new favorite. I could stay there for a good long time! The breakfasts were amazing. You sure don't get homemade, delicious food like this at a chain hotel! As a vegetarian, I was so happy to have meat free hot breakfast options. And, of course, the inn's mascot, Lucky, helped keep me from missing my dogs so much. Anyone who is traveling through this area would be crazy to stay anywhere else. It has the beautiful touches of Amish country in a great old stone building but with the modern conveniences you need.

Room Tip: You can't get a bad room here. If you want more quiet just let the innkeeper know when you book...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Houstonalle4food
HistoricSmithton, Owner at Historic Smithton Inn, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write another lovely review about our property. Lucky has indicated that she misses you already and that you shouldn't wait so long to come back next time! (her owners agree!!!) And thanks for sharing your Vegan Banana Walnut Muffin recipe, I'll let you know how it turns out!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

A dear friend and I stayed at the cottage attached to the Inn. We each had our own floor and privacy, plus the main house for great, indulgent breakfasts in the dining room and late night hot chocolate and home made cookies in overstuffed chairs by the fireplace in the living room. Comfort, warmth, friendship ... what a delight!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay in the Tailor's Cottage... you're right, it's PERFECT for a girl friend getaway where you can stay together, but still have your own space. And I'm glad you liked breakfast, because I LOVE cooking... so having guests stay with us who want to eat what I cook is the BEST thing ever!!! Hope to see you again soon!!
Laytonsville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Just returned from a fabulous girls weekend. We stayed in the Blue Room, the Red Room and the Crimson Dove Room. All were beautifully decorated, historic style touches but comfortable modern amenities. The Crimson Dove Room is the largest and has a lovely sitting area in front of the fireplace (all rooms have them!). Rebecca and Dave, the innkeepers, are so friendly and informative but never intrusive and Lucky, the Inn dog, is completely laid back. The breakfasts were simply amazing, homemade Italian herb bread, muffins one day, strawberry bread the next. In addition Rebecca prepares a hot entree, first morning we had egg "cups" with country ham and cheese, the next day crunchy French toast with berries and whipped cream and sausages. Oh yes and fresh fruit both days! Whew, you will be full. We all wished we could stay longer. The inn is in the non-touristy side of the Lancaster area but easy drive to everything and on the back roads you will see the true Amish hard at work in the fields. Don't miss going to the Ephrata Cloister about a mile down the road.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bobbi232
We're so glad you enjoyed your girlfriend getaway to Ephrata!! We agree, one of the things we like about our town is that it's close to everything, but not "overrun". And of course I'm REALLY glad you liked our breakfasts because I love cooking them for you. And we really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others... if it helps other FUN folks like you guys find us, we're very happy!!
Pfafftown, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

was a very pleasant experience........well kept inn with great rooms. breakfast was excellent ! would recommend as a weekend getaway or vacation .
innkeepers were very helpful and courteous.

the inn was in a central location that was good for visiting all the areas around the lancaster pa. area. not too far out to go to all the attractions and points of interest in the area.

Room Tip: we enjoyed our stay in the chocolate room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. Like you, one of our favorite things about Ephrata is the proximity to everything in the county... and I love that you can choose between the "quick-easy-highway-drive", or the "gorgeous-winding-backroads-drive" to get where you need to go. Hope you find an excuse to come back this way again... there's LOTS more to see and do than you could possibly fit in a weekend!!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephrata
Eden Resort & Suites, BW Premier Collection
Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs
Lancaster Arts Hotel
Lancaster Arts Hotel
#5 of 38 in Lancaster
EJ Bowman House Bed and Breakfast
1777 Americana Inn Bed & Breakfast
Hurst House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Historic Smithton Inn? Share your experiences!