“Bed and BREAKFAST!!”

Historic Smithton Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Ephrata B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 May 2014

You must emphasize the BREAKFAST when describing this bed and BREAKFAST. The food is amazing. Rebecca (your hostess) alternates between sweet or savory breakfast each day. We were there for 3 mornings so had 2 savories and 1 sweet and all were AMAZING--accompanied by an enhanced fresh fruit (i.e., melon cup with agave; orange mixture with sesame seeds), homemade muffins and bread, granola, cereal, etc. We stayed in the beautiful Sage room, which is on the first floor so good for older parents and ease of getting luggage in and out (only minus is you hear footsteps if someone in the room above you has a heavy walk and black lamp shades mean low light at night). The extreme pluses are comfortable bed (soft sheets), no road noise, nice bathroom, great TV, easy access to beautiful back garden. The inn is nicely located to get quickly to the tourist areas of Amish country. Rebecca was very helpful in recommending local places to eat and to visit. She helped arrange a dinner in an Amish home which was a very interesting experience. I highly recommend this bed and BREAKFAST and will definitely return if I go back to the area.

Room Tip: Choose the Sage room if you want first floor access (no stairs to your room).
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This inn is amazing!!! My husband and I come twice a year- it's our home away from home. So clean and comfortable, relaxing.. And the breakfasts are phenomenal - Rebecca is a tireless creative and enthusiastic innkeeper and she and Dave have really upgraded the inn. They will take great care of you!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The innkeeper here saved our vacation after we had a bad experience with a B&B stay purchased with a voucher. We needed to change our plans quickly and Rebecca graciously accommodated us at the very last minute. Luckily, her Inn is beautiful, her breakfasts filling and delicious and Rebecca is a charming host with a plethora of ideas of what to do in the area. The Smithton Inn is centrally located to all the charms of Lancaster and the Amish with super antiquing opportunities. The Antique Automobile Club of American Museum in Hershey is less than an hour away and a must see for car enthusiasts. We had a lovely stay and would heartily recommend this Inn to all travelers. Oh, almost forgot, there is an added bonus.....a tray of goodies in the room which included the best pretzels ever.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Blue Room....quiet and with a working fireplace.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This was our 2nd time to stay at the Snithton Inn. It's been 3 years and we could tell that they had
been changing painting and sprucing up the inn. To us it was a sign of pride and that they love their work.
Our stay of 4 night was great. Sleeping on their their beds makes you feel like royalty!
If you stay awhile you will feel you've made a new friend in the inn keeper Rebecca.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I just stayed here for our mini-honeymoon and it was wonderful! The innkeepers were so kind and helpful and were able to give us a lot of information about the area. The room we were in (Sage room) was so pretty. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the working fireplace was a very cool feature (we had to use it even though it wasn't a particularly chilly night). The breakfasts were amazing, as were the homemade cookies. We are already planning on coming back for our anniversary!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2014

While traveling on my "Off the Interstate" photo project I asked my friend Cathy to research places to stay in the surrounding Amish Country. After a bit of research and a few phone calls Cathy came up with the Smithton Inn. It wasn't the least expensive, nor was it the most, but it turned out to be one of the most pleasant stays of my three week trip. I had a wonderful room on the first floor (great for all my photo gear I was lugging with me) which also had a fireplace (put to good use). The hostess, Rebecca, was a fountain of information, and helped me with some shooting ideas for the next day. Breakfast was delicious, and the in-room snacks hit the spot. I would absolutely recommend them to my friends, and would stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor by the back entrance to the B&B which was perfect to load and unloa...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
HistoricSmithton, Owner at Historic Smithton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2015

I'm so glad that Cathy found us & chose us for your "photographic adventure" of Lancaster County. I enjoyed talking with you and hearing about your wonderful travels. I'm glad I was able to hook you up with a guide to show you the types of sites you were looking to photograph. If you find yourself back in the area, we hope to see you again!!

Take care & safe travels!!
Rebecca

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

This place was wonderful - a step back in time without any compromise with modern comfort. We loved the old floors and welcoming decor. Rebecca was very helpful. Dinner was tasty at the Lincoln House and buggy rides at Bird in a Hand with Abe were relaxing and informative. We'd do it all again!

• Stayed: April 2014
HistoricSmithton, Owner at Historic Smithton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review! One of our biggest goals as innkeepers at the Historic Smithton Inn is striking a balance between "historic charm" and "modern comforts", I'm glad to see we're on track!! And I'm very glad to read that you plan to come back, because we've got lots more restaurants and attractions around us for you to try out!

Take care & hope to see you soon!
Rebecca

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephrata
Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs
Brownstone Colonial Inn
#1 of 3 in Reinholds
13 mi away
Lovelace Manor Bed and Breakfast

Been to Historic Smithton Inn? Share your experiences!