“Great B&B”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, IL
“Great B&B”
Reviewed 13 July 2010

We stayed here for two nights. The Inn was built in 1763 and they have done a good job maintaining and restoring it. The minute we entered the door we knew we found a gem. We were greeted warmly by Dave and the dog, Lucky. There were fresh cookies and a Keurig coffee maker in the entry in case we needed a jolt and a treat. Check in was easy even though we got there earlier than planned. Dave showed us the downstairs common areas - dining room; living area with baby grand piano, a flat screen TV, and fireplace; and his office with a ton of DVD's we could borrow. He took us upstairs and showed us the four rooms on the second landing and then took us to our room. It was HUGE! We stayed in the Crimson Dove room formerly known as the Purple room. We had a high King size bed (it was great, I needed to use the steps to get in it), a sofa in front of the fireplace (way too outside to start a fire), a desk with a flat screen TV and DVD, another seating area, a small refrigerator, armoire, and free wi fi. It was spacious and cozy at the same time. The bathroom was large with a jacuzzi tub/shower and nice vanity area with stool. They had some complimentary snacks and water for us.

Breakfast was outstanding. There was yogurt, muffins (the second day it was a peach coffeecake), herb bread, homemade granola, bran, coffee, tea and juices. Then came the best part. Rebecca is a great cook. The first morning we had a strawberry & blueberry topped pancake like/coffee cake, sausage patties, and a cup of fruit that was flavored. The second day we received a crustless quiche with asparagus and mushrooms, polenta with cheese and another type of fruit cup. Everything was delicious! Rebecca is also a sweetheart and will spend time chatting with you if you choose. She is very gracious. I purchased a cookbook of B&B recipes since we spent a lot of time chatting about the food. She does an excellent presentation too.

The grounds are well maintained. The Inn is very easy to find and just down the street from the Ephrata Cloisters which we also visited. They are very happy to answer any questions regarding the area and made recommendations for places to eat. I wish we had planned on more time there. It is very evident that they care about how their guests feel and add all the right touches - soft towels and a lot of them, nice toiletries, the refrigerator, complimentary snacks, reading material, etc. We also met the cleaning woman, whose name I forget, but she was very nice too.

I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2010

This was my first b&b experience and I loved it! I don't want to spend another night in a motel or hotel after this! Rebecca and Dave are fantastic. Breakfasts are varied and delicious. Rooms with private baths are beautiful, clean and comfortable. The historic stone building is beautiful and well renovated. I hope to return someday.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
New Paltz, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2010

The Smithton Inn was amazing. Dave and Rebecca are terrific hosts. When we checked in Dave greeted us and gave us a wonderful tour of the Inn. The room, the Red Room, was very comfortable. The tub is huge and since my husband and I are both tall we did not have any problems climbing in and out. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets that they have on the beds are super soft! They have a wonderful DVD library which we took advantage of in the evenings after a very busy day of sight seeing. Breakfast the first day was cooked by Dave and breakfast the second day was cooked by Rebecca, both days the food was very good and it was wonderful to talk to Dave and Rebecca. Rebecca even took our picture and emailed us a copy of it as a memento from our trip. Dave gave us wonderful recommendations for dinner when we arrived and we ended up going to both of his suggestions each evening. Lucky their dog is so sweet, since we have two dogs and had not seen them in days it was so nice to pet her and visit with her too. Thank you to Rebecca, Dave, Judy and Lucky for the wonderful memories and the relaxing visit.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 22 June 2010

From the welcoming smile, to the warm cookies set out for easy access, to the charming period decor - the Smithton Inn and its innkeepers were exactly what we were looking for. We were hoping to combine pleasure with a short business trip, and the Smithon looked great on its web site. (But I'd learned that is not always what you get.) The Red Room, where we stayed, was lovelier and more comfortable than I'd anticipated.
Rebecca Gallagher is one of those perfect hosts who never smothers, always intuits your requirements before you realize you want... a cookie, an extra pillow, directions to a great restaurant.
And speaking of food... Rebecca's healthy, fresh, delicious breakfast satisfied both my taste for morning pastries and my husband's wise and healthy food preferences; fresh fruit, homemade yogurt, pear strudel and pancakes with fresh strawberries. Everything made to our specific specifications and delicious.
We look forward to future visits to the Smithton Inn, and we have recommended the inn to our friends.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We love the Smithton Inn----My husband said to me "this is the best one we have stayed in yet"Rebecca and Dave's warmth made us feel as if we had gone to visit family. It was my granddaughter's high school graduation and they even made us feel welcome on the veranda as we welcomed family after the graduation. We will go back----our suite, breakfast and overall feeling while there was an experience we will not forget.---

Hillary and Clint

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Getzville, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2010

We were very pleased with our stay in this charming B&B. Everything about the place is delightful. We had a tour of the place upon arrival, including the history of the building and its furnishings. The owners provided information on places to dine including discount cards at these local restaurants. We had a delicious breakfast prepared for us with many choices, hot and cold, at the time of our choosing. We left feeling like we had visited old friends. The Smithton Inn is everything that someone who enjoys the B & B experience is looking for.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Living in Manhattan, I had come to a point where I needed a refuge from stress, noise, chaos while still being able to maintain some standard of quality and comfort. Having been to Lancaster Co./Amish area once before, I knew that fresh air would be forthcoming, but what about a comfortable bed and delicious breakfast? Let me be succinct in stating why I've decided to take the time to write this review of Smithton Inn in Ephrata Pa:
1. THE INNKEEPER (Rebecca), when I spoke to her on the phone, immediately put me at ease by her enthusiasm which far exceeded any feeling of officiousness. We all know this is a business for profit, but we cling to the hope that we can still feel relaxed and WELCOME upon arrival, and this I felt.
2. THE INN. It is GORGEOUS. All the antiques are AUTHENTIC, it's not some hokey recreation. The beds are supremely comfortable (tempur pedic just like I have at home), the towels thick, the water pressure high, wide screen TVs, WORKING fireplaces. Do I REALLY need to continue? I had a fire burning all evening, as well as an IN ROOM massage. All this while keeping in tact the feeling of being liberated from the city and immersed into a relaxing Pa town with Amish roots.
3. BREAKFAST. Rebecca loves cooking, and as I saw my reservation go from one day to two to three, I will say that the thought of getting up from my comfortable bed was made easier by knowing that chicken hash with poached eggs, raspberry pancakes, asparagus and cheese quiche were waiting for me. She actually SEASONS her food as I would, I remember thinking that were I to criticize it would be that some guests might find this not to their taste, especially if they prefer eggos for breakfast but for me, someone who uses herbs and spices, it was a pleasure. SAGE in my hash! Of COURSE!
4. PRICE. Prices are bargains, that's all there is to say. I'm not rich nor poor, but it's within my price range and I'll be back as soon as I need another does of R and R, and that will be SOON.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephrata
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
Hampton Inn & Suites Ephrata - Mountain Springs
Lancaster Arts Hotel
Lancaster Arts Hotel
#5 of 39 in Lancaster
EJ Bowman House Bed and Breakfast
1777 Americana Inn Bed & Breakfast
Hurst House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Historic Smithton Inn? Share your experiences!