“Not Safe! terrible management decisions” 1 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Erie
GreenLeadersGold level
U.S.
“Not Safe! terrible management decisions”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

One of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had--and I have traveled to many large cities over the years. Recently I was here on a Saturday night, and I was sitting quietly in a hallway near the front vestibule waiting for a ride from a friend. An intoxicated man started yelling at me, I ignored him until he started threatening me. I was going to go into the lobby for help when he had two friends show up and I felt trapped in the hallway, as the three of them were between me and the front doors into the lobby. Someone apparently from the hotel briefly looked into the hallway from the double doors and never intervened. If someone from the hotel staff or management had bothered to inquire such as "hey what is going on here" it would have provided a distraction so I could have extracted myself from the situation. The situation become loud and hostile and this guy wanted to "take me outside" and apparently fight me because "he didn't like my face" and "i had been sitting there too long". I felt very physically threatened. The police arrived eventually right before things got ugly, and the man and his two friends made false allegations that "I had been bothering people, including girls and they were protecting them from me". Since I had no witnesses (which I would have had if the management had bothered to find out what was going on), the police were giving me a hard time and called my name into the station. I am absolutely flabbergasted at this point as I had been sitting there doing nothing. Because the hotel staff and management were completely ineffectual and did not intervene and help me, they allowed the situation to get worse, I could have been physically harmed if the police had arrived a minute later, and I had completely false accusations made against me. The hotel management made a terrible mistake by not trying to help me. I understand they felt they needed to call the police, but they could have helped me initially!!! I have traveled to places like downtown DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Miami, and New York. I have never felt so unsafe in a hotel.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank aTolerantTraveler
Dan P, General Manager at Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I’m sorry the service you received didn’t meet the standards you expected. Please know the safety and security of our guests is our No. 1 priority, and we take your comments very seriously. We will be reaching out to you directly to discuss this incident in more detail.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Libertyville, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

My boyfriend and I attended his friends wedding at the hotel and we also stayed there. The location on the bay is great. You can either eat at the hotel or there are a couple other choices within walking distance. Our floor was a little noisy but I think it was just wedding rowdiness. Great room, comfortable bed and I loved the style of the bathroom. The front desk was helpful in finding LATE night pizza delivery.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Valerie G
Dan P, General Manager at Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for submitting a reveiw of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the view from your room and had I appreciate your kind comments in regards to the service provided by my Front Desk staff. We hope to see you again in the future!
Sylvania, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Best in Erie. In the past 3 years, I have stayed in Erie many times: consistently impressed with the Sheraton Bayfront and consistently disappointed in the others. Tops in every aspect, but especially the staff and lobby with bar and grille. Although the grille is expensive (entrees are $18+), this is typical for a fine restaurant and IS the best restaurant in Erie for fine dining. Do yourself a favor and review the site's images.

Room Tip: The lower priced boat harbor view is nice.
1 Thank Jeff M
Thank you for your positive review on the hotel! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff service and hotel atmposhere to be the best in Erie! We hope to see you at the Sheraton again in the future.
Findley Lake, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

With high winds and massive snow accumulation I could not drive the 30 miles home after my shift at a local hospital. Besides, I was on call that night and took a chance that if I did get home, I would have to turn around and drive back to the hospital..........not in that weather. So, I made a reservation at the Bayfront Sheraton in Erie. Fast check-in, professional service, spotless room on concierge level. Room service was fast, the food was great, and the server was exceptional. Parking was convenient and sheltered.......$12/night. The only glitches preventing a 5 rating was the size of the room..........very small. At first my key card wouldn't work in the elevator, but they re-keyed it in 5 minutes. Will see them again when the next blizzard hits.

Green Features: Smoke free, even outside around the hotel. Great unless you're a smoker!
1 Thank G8r_RN
Thank you very much for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. I am glad you were able to weather out the storm at our beautiful hotel! I appreciate your feedback and I hope we will see you again in the future!
Blacksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Good restaurant, but expensive. Hotel is nice and clean and it has good service, location is great to get to almost any point in Erie in 15 mins. Great Lake view. Gym is sufficient for a decent work out. Wireless internet is fast and reliable. Not 5 because my bathroom had to issues, toilet didn't flush and shower head was leaking. Gym equipment needs maintenance.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MexKaz
Dan P, General Manager at Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and got the oppurtunity to experience Erie. We hope to see you at the hotel again in the future!
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

At first, I thought my travels could not get worst with one TSA agent checking hundreds of passengers during rush hour causing me to miss my flight. Then Delta came through by placing me on an United flight to get me to Erie, PA for my meeting. I had to drive to hours to get to the hotel, but late night driving and constructions on the roads did not prepare for the beauty of Erie, PA. It was breathtaking.

The Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel was the best hotel stay and on the top floor. Kevin, Front Desk Personnel, was amazing. He even found my membership from more than 10 years ago. Full hot breakfast, beautiful view of Lake Erie, full internet access, complimentary parking, etc. Wow...I was in heaven. Thank you for the reboot...Next stops: Medical Mission in Haiti then a family vacation in Israel. I will be hosting an HIV/AIDS Symposium in Haiti this summer.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor come with complimentary hot breakfast.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Emmanuella C
Thank you very much for your positive reveiw of the hotel. I glad that you got to the hotel safely and that Kevin provided such a wonderful check in for you. We hope you get a chance to visit the hotel again in the future!
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here on a trip to Grove City from Buffalo NY. It was a great in-between stop and there are so many restaurants to choose from within a 15 minute drive of the hotel. They have pretty much every chain restaurant you can think of a short drive away so we were able to use up our stockpile of Christmas gift cards!

Location was great.
Very close to the thruway.
Great view of the lake from our room.
Rooms & hotel seemed recently updated.
Friendly staff.
Quiet rooms.

All in all a great stay!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jason189
Dan P, General Manager at Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Thank you for the positive reveiw. I am glad you had the chance to stay with us and experience the Erie area. I hope you get a chance to stay with us again in the future.