“Birthday Dinner Surprise”

Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
“Birthday Dinner Surprise”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I found this GREAT restaurant while visiting Erie, PA. Our server, Dan G., was excellent and his associate Tom displayed the same professionalism . Dan was attentive without hovering and his professionalism was second to none. He explained the types of wine sold and asked what type of wine my wife and I liked and brought an excellent tasting wine to the table. Now I have to tell you my wife and I do not belong to any tasting clubs but this wine Chateau Saint Sulpice 2010 was excellent and so we bought the bottle,
For food we ordered the Escargot and Mussels for our appetizer, both were sweet and succulent. My wife ordered the Veal Oscar ( Escalope De Veau Oscar) and was surprised at the large portion. The crab topping was meaty and delicious and the accompanying vegetables were cooked to perfection. I was debating between the Bison Skirt Steak and the Stuffed Pork chop. I selected the pork chop which was also cooked to perfection. the chop was tender and juicy and the kale, berry stuffing was a pleasant surprise. ( both my items were the special of the day)
We finished our meal with a desert that is made in house called Decaque (sp) which has Buttercream and chocolate layers with praline granules and toasted Almonds. We finished it off quickly because of it had a delicate texture and was flavorful without being over sweetened with a good cup of coffee.
I look forward to future visits to this restaurant while in Erie, PA. This is a must visit for anyone wanting a relaxed atmosphere, delicious food and excellent staff.
I understand that there is also a family brunch offered on Sundays.

2 Thank Deano N
chefbebert, Owner at Bertrand's Bistro, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Bonjour,
We really appreciate your positive review! Our brunch is served every Sunday from 11am to 2pm.We hope to see you soon! Merci

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic, quaint, the perfect romantic atmosphere”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I came across Bertrand's on trip advisor looking for a romantic experience with authentic food, wine and spirits. To start off, the reviews on tripadvisor were spot on. The restaurant is quaint and an appropriately thought out French restaurant that is like the quaint French restaurants I have been to in Nice France as I remember. The menu is authentic and amazing with many choices depending on your palate. Our waiter Nicholas was attentive, knowledgable and entertaining. The ingredients were all fresh and you can tell the difference in care. The food was cooked perfectly and the wine selection was excellent. Portions are big which is rare for an authentic French restaurant. If you are in Erie, this place is a must and will not disappoint and was a rather a pleasant surprise. We will definitely be back.

1 Thank Thomas N
chefbebert, Owner at Bertrand's Bistro, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Bonjour,
We are thankful for your positive review, Merci et a bientot.
Mount Holly, New Jersey
“Had a really good time there”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

It was our 19th anniversary so I thought a French Restaurant would be a romantic experience we would remember. Nick was our waiter. We had the best time. Everyone was so nice, and the food was excellent. Nick was very helpful with explaining all the menu items and made the experience something we will remember for the rest of our lives. Bertrand's Bistro truly belongs at the top of the list of (best restaurants) in Erie.

1 Thank Amos E
Bonjour,
We would like to send you our sincere appreciation for your review and congratulation on your 19th anniversary! Merci beaucoup! A bientot!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“A taste of France on Presque Isle”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Bertrand's provides the seasoned traveler the best food in Erie Pa. The brunch satisfied the francophile's tats for crepes and charcuterie, as well as those seeking a more traditional American experience. Wonderful service in a quaint setting made a summer weekend in Erie seem like a trip to the Normandy Coast!

Bonjour,
Very nice of you to leave a positive review! We really appreciate! Merci! A bientot!
Canada
“Number One”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is what a dinner experience should be. A wonderful chat with our server Stephani. An extra spoon is offered so we may share our bowl of French onion soup. The duck is divine. Bertrand's has a small menu of dishes that are all executed very, very well. The wine list is more like a short story rather than a dictionary. You know that the wines were picked with care.

It is easy to understand why Bertrand's is voted #1 again and again. Yes, you will need reservations. Enjoy a meal here. You can't go wrong.

• Visited June 2014
Bonjour,
We really appreciate reading your positive review! Merci beaucoup! A bientot!