“A STUDY IN CONTRASTS!”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My family of four, with two teenage kids, recently stayed here. I have never in my 51 years stayed at a hotel so riddled with contrasts. To begin with, STAFF IS EXCELLENT all the way around!! And I truly mean that! Friendly, caring, efficient, hard-working, accommodating . . I can't say enough about the front desk and breakfast service employees! Hotel room itself was VERY clean, and believe me, I checked all of the nooks and crannies. Bedding smelled clean & fresh, AC worked well, pool view was nice and pool was very clean and heated comfortably, ice machine on our floor worked, there is a reassuring 24-hour presence in the lobby, friendly housekeepers, a rollaway bed so my kids didn't have to sleep together, a little table with 2 upholstered chairs and a family-friendly flatscreen, very large and bright family-size bathroom with terrific shower head & wonderful towels. Although the room itself was a little tight for four, it was a bargain at the special rate of $99 a night with breakfast included. Daily variety of foods, like hard-boiled eggs, bagels and wheat bread to toast, 3 kinds of yogurt, sausages, scrambled eggs, make-your-own waffles - so many things to choose from other than the stale danishes and cereal. Coffee is excellent and available all day and night, along with bananas, apples and oranges. Overall, the hotel is well taken care of, and I would stay there again at that price. This is an old hotel, and I mean OLD: worn carpeting, stained walls, stained and threadbare blankets and spreads, limp pillows, and the oldest and most UNcomfortable beds I have ever slept in, anywhere! The rollaway even had springs sticking out of it. Besides this, the biggest drawback was not having a mini fridge in the room - a necessity in this price range. There was a microwave in the lobby but not in the room. Pool was very nice and clean, but small, and there were quite a few very nice moms with kids from the neighborhood who were not hotel guests but swam and came in for refreshments anyway - probably not a great idea with such a small pool. Hotel was extremely noisy until about 3 a.m. - lots of pounding on the floors and along the hallways, like elephants running around - probably not great for business travelers. I would say that tightening up on the rules and noise, and NEW BEDS & BEDDING, and a MINI-FRIDGE in EVERY room, would go a long way to making this a 4-star hotel. KUDOS TO THE EXCELLENT STAFF!! :)

Room Tip: Pool view was nice and bright. Might be a good idea to ask for a room with a newer shower head and a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NYMom_13

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Hard one to review. Erie in the summer = expensive rooms. Just the way it is. The place is pretty clean, the front desk quite friendly, the lobby is huge, but then you have a few "gotchas". Normally I wouldn't ding a place as hard as I do for these, but the big gotcha is the price. About 180 a night for a single room, two double beds. For THAT, I expect a refrigerator/microwave in EVERY room, not just the kings, and I expect working ice machines on every floor. They're a bit landlocked, so parking can be an issue too. Overall I'd say I'd rate it 3.5 stars - it would get 4 stars easy if the refrigerator/microwave comment were addressed (and let's be serious - at these prices, it really, really needs to be addressed) and the general maintenance of things in the building (ice machines, etc) were a bit better. Almost there, but not quite. I honestly don't know if I'll come back - I haven't made up my mind on that yet, which probably means you (the reader) have some comparison shopping/reading to do.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank NashvlMike
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This was the perfect hotel for our 2-night visit to Erie. We gals were on a shopping trip and found this hotel had everything we needed at a great price! They offer a nice free breakfast in the morning (7AM-10AM), the beds were pretty good and the outdoor swimming pool was a nice spot to unwind with a cocktail, and a dip after shopping all day. Yes, the décor is a little tired but the staff was very pleasant and it was everything we needed. It was 12 minutes drive to Millcreek Mall.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Hotel if very close to Presque Isle and would be a great choice for visitors there. But for the business traveler not the best.
I found the hotel to be clean and well taken care of. Rooms were old but clean. The AC in my room could have been a little colder. Room had very few plugs and no desk so it was challenging to work on my computer. There was a small table though. Most frustrating was the WiFi. It was strong in the lobby but horrible in my rooms I could not keep signal. Making for an unproductive night

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 17 June 2013

When I book a 2-star hotel, I know what I'm getting. But the Comfort Inn in Erie had a few surprises up its sleeve. Good ones. First off, Bobby at the front desk was immensely helpful, giving me directions to local wineries and restaurants, and the fellow in the morning was just as accommodating. Also, the room was much bigger than I anticipated. Another plus. The room itself was clean and, for a smoking room, was surprisingly free of odor and burns. Great quality for the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Overpriced. Old. Dingy. Dark. Depressing. Lobby even smells old and musty to go along with it.
At $50-70 a night this wouldn't have been a bad place. But for $130, are you kidding me? Next time I will stick with The Glass House Inn when I am in Erie. Its also old, but not dirty, or smelly, and the AC works amazing. And the front desk there is always awesome.
Anyway, to be specific about this hotel, because I hate vague reviews. Walking into this hotel was disappointing right off the bat. The lobby is dark, the carpet is worn, and it smells. Made me nervous for my room. Got to my room, thankfully it smelled better than the lobby and hallways. The comforters and blankets were very old and gross and you could not tell if and when those were ever washed, lots of questionable stains on the underside. Nasty. Also, when we walked in the sheets were half off the bed!!! Not like someone had slept there, but like the housekeepers just threw them on and walked away. Brilliant, now I get to make the bed before I go to sleep. Pillows were hard and and small like blocks, and not comfortable. Carpet was worn and had lots of stains. Noisy AC that barely cooled the room. Was hot all night. They do have very nice flat screen tv's that we enjoyed!
Now for the bathroom. It at least appeared clean. The water pressure in the shower was terrible!!! We turned on the shower and just had to laugh it was so bad. I couldn't even get mad anymore I just felt like we were on candid camera. It came out in a single trickle. So much for rinsing my hair.Too bad Tripadvisor doesn't allow videos! Oh, and the faucet almost came out of the wall when I tried to turn it on.
There is no fitness center provided. Huge turnoff. Did not try the pool.
Breakfast- Stale Cheerios!!!!! I actually spit them out. And they are one of my favorite cereals - generic or name brand. Then I tried a bagel. Stale, couldn't even bite into it. So I went with the waffles. They were good. My boyfriend tried a couple of the other baked things, all stale and hard. They of course had standard hotel eggs also. Coffee was good at least!
The people that rated this hotel highly obviously have low standards and don't travel much to know what a hotel of this price range should be. (or maybe I got a really bad deal on this place!)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

Staff is great. Free breakfast is always a good perk. Rooms are very out dated and rather dingy. Mattress is worn out and the ac isnt the greatest.You could find better around this area for the same price.

• Stayed: April 2013