“If I could give it less stars I would”

Western Inn Downtown
Ranked #37 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed 28 July 2014

If I could give it less stars I would. My boyfriend and I honestly did not even last 20 mintues. We went to Erie on a quick weekend trip and picked this place because of the cheap rates. When we arrived for check-in at 2, we were greeted by a very kind lady behind the counter who explained to me they were "renovating". The facade of the hotel was falling apart dilapidated, railings lose, stairs crumbling, the pool resembled a swamp. There were people on the second floor who seemed to be live in residents. We received our first room, Room 235.

Our reservation was for a queen bed non smoking room for one night. When I entered the room I was hit with the smell of an ash tray.I tried to turn the light on using the switch, but it did not work.I waited for my boyfriend before I ventured any further than the door way. We both ventured to check out the bathroom and there was BLACK MOLD in the tub as well as rust and peeling paint.

I went back down to the office. (Careful on the stairs they are crumbling and the railings are lose and rusting make sure you are up to date on your tetanus shot). We kindly asked for a clean non smoking room. Again the very kind woman behind the counter changed our room and apologized that they had not cleaned that room yet. We went to our new room, room 240. This room looked slightly nicer from the outside and by slight I mean not at all. We entered the room and again it smelled musty, moldy, and smokey. The paint was peeling off the walls the lights would not work, again. The bathroom was just as dirty as the first. I told my boyfriend that we had paid for the night and we can't back out now. My boyfriend decided to pee while I was on the phone in a slight panic with my mother. I turned around and our dead bolt was broken.there were cables coming out of the wall, vomit on the door and something chunky in the peep hole. At which point an "Oh sh**" came from the bathroom., the toilet was nearly over flowing. That was it.

Didn't even bother to unload the truck. We went right back down to the office. There was no one at the front desk. Another poor patron walked in behind us and I told her to go in front because we were on our second room in the last 10 minutes. Once she was checked in the older man who spoke only 5 words of English I believe finally decided to acknowledged that we were in their tiny dilapidated lobby. I told him that we had been in two rooms in 15 minutes each grosser than the next and that I demanded a refund. Thankfully we got it and left. We ended up staying in the Riverside Inn in Cambridge Springs.

My Best advice, spend the extra money, stay on peach street or a nice bed and breakfast. Nothing is worth the risk of your health, safety or sanity to stay in a cheap hotel. Run don't walk better yet, just don't book.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Katrina L

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I chose this hotel because it was walking distance to the event we were attending. Unfortunately I prepaid using an online booking. I had to use my shoulder to push my way into the room. The room was old and really sketchy looking. We pulled off the top bed spread as it looked 40 years old and disgusting. Underneath were thin blankets with stains on them. Better yet, under the blankets were sheets with what looked like blood stains on one bed and some kind of yellow stains on the other bed. I had to kill ants that were crawling in the bathroom. We stayed only because we prepaid and survived the night but got out as soon as we could the next morning. When I checked out I expressed my displeasure to the front desk (owner I believe) he just stood there with a dumb smile on his face, like I have your money and don't care. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Dave B
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Whatever you do find another hotel. We showed up and were stared at by a bunch of people on the balcony that looked like they lived there. There were mattresses and everything thrown by the dumpsters. They were filling the pool with a garden hose. Then we got to our room and it stunk sooo bad. The room was filthy and the beds smelled. We didn't even stay there a half hour before we checked out and went somewhere else. Definitely WOULD NOT recommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Katrina S
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We came to this hotel considering it was cheap and apparently had a swimming pool. We get there and notice that the swimming pool was empty and its near the end of June. I get into the room with my family to notice how disgusting this room was. Garbage in the can, the sink hasn't been wiped in god knows how long, the tub is stained black and there was 1 towel. I go back to the front desk and ask for towels. No biggie right? WRONG! This jerk starts by saying "You are a liar, you have 4 adults!" I am in shock because those supposed adults are my kids who are 14 and 12! He then says he is charging me more per night and refused to give me towels. I called the corporate office and checked out in less than an hour.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank juantheman19
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Well this was a great stay except for the price it was a little raceie.But it is close to what I need'ed So thought all service's was great..So give it a good try.And you may just like it. And the Parks and the lake is just great..(

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank WAYNE069
Reviewed 14 August 2013

railing loose to upper level....dark spots for ambushes....no enamel in bottom of tub just rust....1 channel on t v with no remote and could not turn up and after you turn on air impossible to hear...light fixtures falling out of ceiling..tall husband had to duck to miss..looked like a crime scene asked for my $ back only took a week thanks knights inn for that

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank Paula S
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I booked this motel for one night online because it was much cheaper than the rest and one of the only ones with a room available (I didn't know there was an event that week). I'm used to staying in motels, so I didn't think it could be that bad, but it was.

I stayed by myself with my two young daughters. When I pulled up, I was already slightly nervous because the surrounding area didn't look all that welcoming. Perhaps if my husband had been with us, I would have been slightly more optimistic. The girl who checked me in to the hotel was VERY friendly and accommodating, however the small lobby was very shabby and dirty looking.

We stayed on the ground floor with a parking spot right outside of the door which was nice. However, the room was disgusting. Mold, dirt, broken fixtures, the only thing I didn't see were bugs (doesn't mean they weren't there). The bathtub was so covered in mold it was unusable.

The room had a fridge (the freezer portion was totally covered in ice), microwave and two teaspoon sized packets of shampoo. The AC seemed about normal motel quality. The TV had cable, but it was so fuzzy it was hard to watch. The alarm clock was missing the face plate over the LED, several outlet covers were broken, two of the towel racks were broken and hanging off the wall and the coax cable for the TV was hanging from the ceiling.

I had hoped to use the pool, but I didn't even look at it. I was very glad to be leaving first thing the next morning.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family