“Great value for a Marriott property”

TownePlace Suites Erie
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Glenshaw, PA
“Great value for a Marriott property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2009

We booked this hotel online and got the AAA discount. We reserved a king studio. It was a bit cramped for two adults but ok for the two nights we were there. The first thing we did was get into the hot tub as it was raining upon our arrival and we were cold. The hotel has a great indoor pool and hot tub area - lots of families there enjoying themselves even on a rainy day. The hotel had a breakfast in the morning of bagels, cereal, juice etc. We like a typical egg breakfast so cooked in our room. The pots and pans provided leaved a lot to be desired as was the stove. It took forever to heat up. The kitchen is tiny - no real prep area. The bed was firm and the bathroom large. Everything was very clean. The room was a bit noisy but I turned on the fan for sleeping so we didn't hear any hallway noise. The staff was so very friendly - even working on a holiday. We go to Erie at least once a year and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

AWESOME hotel! Our group stayed here for a soccer tournament. Beyond our expectations! Staff was great and accomodating. We will be back next year!!

• Stayed June 2009
Western Ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2009

Check- in clerks were very friendly, checkout was cold and hurried. Room was very different with full kitchen, high ceilings, laminate foyer and contemporary decor (very lime green chair and ottoman, red print carpet, and gold/green walls. Found a large hair clump on bedding, everything else sparkled. Breakfast area very crowded even in evening where a large pizza party was happening. Pool was full of kids.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

I like this hotel and will stay here again when I travel to visit family in Erie. I have also stayed in a "TownePlace" in Atlanta by Buckhead.

Positives
-- This hotel cannot be more than 1-2 years old. So it is fresh and new - a big plus in my book. My room was spotless.
-- The decor is modern and actually stylish compared to other hotels at this price point.
-- It has a nice small "kids" pool my daughter used which was clean and well maintained
-- Each room is a small "suite" with a real kitchen (yes full fridge and cook top etc). BUT the suites are "studio" type where it is not separated by a door.
-- It is very close to the mall which has a lot of dining options

Things To Note:
-- It is tucked in behind a group of hotels and can be tricky to find when you first arrive (it is behind the Fairfield and Homewood)
-- The free breakfast is modest but adequate. There are bagels, cereal, waffles etc but not hot items like eggs and bacon.
-- This is an extended stay type hotel and room cleaning each day was not standard. I think some of the complaints from other reviewers are because they did not expect this. It was never a problem for us.

For the price in this area - I was really pleasantly surprised. I like these small suite hotels generally and this is a good one and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Suite2100
Pittsburgh, PA United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

I have stayed at the TownePlace Suites in Erie for the past few months, every Monday through Friday, because I am on a job assignment that has kept me coming back week after week. In casual conversation, I mentioned TripAdvisor when I was talking to one of the staff, and she said that there was a bad review of the hotel, which I think she genuinely felt bad about, because she, like the rest of the staff, make service and quality a top priority. I decided that I wanted to give an alternative view to the bad review. As I looked through the bad reviews, I noticed that they were all from the first several weeks that the hotel was open. Since that point, all reviews have been excellent, and justifiably so, because the staff is top notch and the hotel is spotlessly clean.

I have had extended stays in hotels for the past year, staying in each one for at least 4 or 5 consecutive weeks (excepting weekends), and this hotel is by far the best one I have encountered, especially in the Erie area.

I have never had a single problem with cleanliness. I had a minor maintenance issue (noisy bathroom exhaust fan), which was quickly repaired as soon as I reported it - and the maintenance guy left a note letting me know that he had taken care of the problem. The staff is well-trained and friendly. Once they know your name, they make a point of greeting you by name.

As a long term guest, they make a point of giving me the same room every stay, which may seem like a minor thing, but for those who travel all the time, some sense of consistency and normalcy is a comfort. Because I have allergies to feather pillows, they always make sure that I only have poly-fill pillows in my room.

The rooms are well thought out and use the space wisely. The mini kitchen has all of the pots, pans, dishes and utensils you could reasonably need. There is a full-sized refrigerator and a dishwasher in each kitchen, so if you do happen to need to wash a few of your own dishes (I bring some meals from home in containers that need to be washed), you can do so, and the dishwasher is whisper-quiet. There is a very comfortable love seat with a foot rest and lap desk, plus a very spacious work area with excellent lighting. The wireless internet service has the most consistent, fastest connection I've had at any hotel, and connects flawlessly. The TV is a nice sized HDTV that can be turned in many directions on a wall mount, so you can adjust it to be easily seen from both the bed and the love seat at the same time. Lighting in the room is excellent, with many different lights to choose from, depending on your needs. The heat and A/C are very easy to adjust and very consistent in maintaining the temperature you want. The unit runs quietly, and doesn't make a lot of noise when it turns on and off, which I have found is a problem at many hotels. The storage space in the room exceeds anything that I have found in any other hotel of comparable price and amenities.

The hotel is very convenient to I-79, and is walking distance from the Millcreek Mall, across the parking lot, as well as several restaurants.

If you are staying regularly, or for an extended stay, they will negotiate a lower rate for you.

Bottom line, if it is in your price range, and in the area you are looking for, you would be making a mistake if you stay anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2009

We recently enjoyed a 2-night stay at this hotel. Location was ideal for shopping and easy walking distance to Mall. Plenty of restaurants close by. Highly recommend O'Charley's we have dinner and lunch there - excellent quality and good value

The room was gorgeous! Brand new with modern decor that had a high end feel. The room was spotless. Ample size bathroom with a large walk in closet. Wall mounted flat screen TV. Small kitchen with stainless steel finish dishwasher, fridge, 2-ring stove and microwave. Granite countertop completes the look. Basic kitchen equipment and dishes. Large work station/desk with a pull out extension that creates a small dining table.

In the lobby there is a small selection of microwave food, snacks and drinks. Complimentary coffee/tea all day. There is a pool and small fitness room. Free wireless/high speed. Staff were friendly and helpful at all times.

Complimentary breakfast is on the limited side - toast, waffles, hard boiled cold eggs, cereal, yogurt. The breakfast room is bright and inviting.

This hotel was an absolutely gem and only $89 night

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Mississauga Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. We have to say one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at so far. Great deal for the money, as we paid $89.99 US a night. Very close to mall with in walking distance to Millcreek Mall, we drove there as didnt want to carry our bags back.
Very modern decore, includes a full fridge and microwave, flat screen TV, nice bedding and lots of pillows! It was very clean.
Kids enjoyed the pool and hot tub, which is open till 12:00 midnight.
Breakfast was OK, nothing fancy but a nice extra.
Parking was not a problem, free and many available spots.
Girls at front dest were helpful and friendly, make sure they give you a free coupon book for Grove City, and Millcreek mall Card for discounts at the Mall if shopping.
Had a nice gym, but didnt use. Definately a great hotel for business!
Would definately be back.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business