“Is this a motel?”

Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Tokyo, Japan
“Is this a motel?”
Reviewed 5 October 2008

I may not complaint about this hotel because rate is very good. But, I found a lot of minor thing at this hotel.

The first, room is very small and smelly. The second, front clerk promised me the refrigerator and microwave machines but finally no such equipments (so my beer was little cold only). The third, there are not enough towels for two persons. The fourth, the blanket on the bed is very dusty and little smelly. The sixth, my room is 2nd floor but there is only stair case and then I have to bring up and down the heavy suitcases which my wife put too many things.

Mmmmm.... Generally to say, I don't recommend this for long stay.

Lake Erie was very nice place. Attached photos are taken near by Lake Erie. It looks so fantastic, but no such nice place can be found in surrounding of this hotel. For your info. (^_^;

• Liked — Room rate
  • Disliked — Dirty Blanket, and smell of room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Ken_Boon_Yam
Melissa8040, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 January 2009
We purchased the Quality Inn and Suites, Erie, PA in February 2007. We are in the process of complete renovations. At this time we have renovated 70 guest rooms. All new paint, wallpaper, carpet, and furniture. At this time we are also renovating our banquet and meeting facilites, our lounge and lobby areas. Our rooms are large except if you request a room with one queen bed, unfortunately they are much "cozier". We recommend that you request first floor rooms if you are unable to climb stairs or we would gladly have someone assist you with your luggage. We do have a limited number of rooms with microwaves and refrigerators so please request at the time of your reservation. We hope you enjoy your next stay!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 July 2008

I thought it was a nice hotel. The breakfast was very good. The rooms were clean and bed were comfortable. They have a free shuttle that takes you to the casino and also I believe to the mall if you want to shop. The driver of the van is one of the nicest ladies you could ever meet. The only problem I had is when I contacted the hotel to book directly they said they had no rooms for Sat night. I needed Friday and Sat. So after looking on the internet seeing I was able to book a room there for both nights, I called choice hotels and they said there were 6 rooms available for both nights stay. Explaining what I was told from the hotel they said they don't understand why I was told that. Also they do offer a casino rate and choice hotels told me to call them and explain if I could get the casino rate because there were rooms available and I did and they still insisted there were no rooms for Sat and would not give me the casino rate for Friday. But we did stay there by booking it thru choice hotels. After all that confusion I was mad and would have went somewhere else but there was not a room available at any other nearby hotels. But all in all I do have to say it is a nice clean hotel.

• Liked — Location and clean
  • Disliked — Trying to book directly with hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank yoyos1
We would definitely like to apologize for the inconveience you have experienced. We appreciate customers that let us know when we have failed. We are excited however that you did enjoy our complimentary hot breakfast buffet and our complimentary casino shuttle. Our staff in both areas does a wonderful job! Once again we apologize for the inconvenience and hope you stay again in the future!
PA
Reviewed 23 May 2008

This Quality Inn is the former Holiday Inn Erie South, which was considered THE flagship of Erie Hotels during the 1960s and 1970s. There is ample evidence of Holiday Inn architecture, such as exterior corridors, banquet rooms, a former restaurant, and even a bar. It kind of takes you back in time when Holiday Inn was the mainstay of American hotels.

However, the hotel has fallen under new ownership, and bad times. The grounds are poorly landscaped, and the paint is peeling off the exterior walls. In addition, there was a cat that roamed the grounds; I am not sure if it was feral, or owned by one of the hotel staff members.

Our room was a 2 double bedroom on the first floor. The room was in need of upgrades. The wallpaper was peeling off, and there was a water leak from the wall near the bathroom; when we first walked into the bathroom, the carpet was wet. This wetness got worse during our stay. I also noticed the wall near the window was starting to warp; probably due to moisture damage from the leak. Breakfast was OK, but not great. Overall, the room was not very clean, and the hotel as a whole could use some sprucing up. When you travel to Erie, stay at the Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites, as they are very clean and consistent with regards to service and amenities.

• Liked — The location was great!
  • Disliked — Rather dirty, and in need of a major renovation.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Erie hotels

Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed 13 August 2007

I would never stay at his hotel again. Upon check in- we were informed that our jacuzzi in our room was broken. This was not a problem since I didn't even know there was a jacuzzi in our room. But, she said since it is broken - we will only charge you $89 instead of $129. I stated that when I called, I was quoted $89 by Jeff (I even had my confirmation number). She didn't believe me. But, no problems w/ the rate since we were in the room with the broken jacuzzi. Upon seeing this jacuzzi, I wouldn't of used it even if someone paid me!

Breakfast - it was there but kind of gross.

I requested non-smoking and was given a smoking room.

Would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Riverton,NJ
Reviewed 16 March 2007

I've stayed at many Quality Inn's throughout the US and this is definitely one of the worst. Being stuck in Erie due to a snow storm is bad enough and staying at this place just added to my frustrations.

The first problem I encountered at this place was the fact that it wasn't even safe to walk around the motel! Since all the room entrances are on the outside, snow and ice covered all the walkways and stairwells to and from the rooms.

After a slippery walk to my room, I find the beds not made and waste baskets full of garbage. I had to plead with the front desk represenative for a new room! This is not acceptable for any hotel. l'll never stay here again!

Stayed March 2007