“What a find!”

Colao's
Ranked #32 of 409 Restaurants in Erie
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Colao's Ristorante serves traditional, authentic Italian cuisine made from recipes that have been passed down through our family for generations. We also offer fresh veal, seafood and steaks, as well as unique nightly entree and appetizer features. We’re known for our uncompromising standards to the highest quality and freshest ingredients, all meals are prepared to order. Check out our extensive wine list featuring 12 premium wines served by the glass. Fresh, ingredients, handmade pasta, ravioli, rum-soaked tiramisu and cannoli!
Clarion, Pennsylvania
“What a find!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My daughter and I recently enjoyed a supper at Colao's. We were first surprised that it had free valet parking. What a nice touch!

Their menu had a nice selection. It was hard to choose.

We both ordered a Caesar salad. And it was a real Caesar salad--anchovies and all!

I got the stuffed prawns special over lemon risotto. So much more food than I could eat! So delicious!

My daughter had the lobster-stuffed ravioli with crab topping. The sauce was so good!

The food couldn't have been better. Our waiter, while very nice, seemed to be uncomfortable. Maybe he was just new???

This place is in a neighborhood, so it takes a little to find it. It's well-worth the effort, though.

• Visited August 2014
4 Thank Kathy W

Union City, Pennsylvania
“YES! It's in ERIE!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I are local. We have enjoyed Colao's several times and cannot remember a negative at all. Tonight our meal was amazing beyond words! We knew we would not be disappointed, but neither of us expected the gourmet, big-city culinary experience we shared this evening. I read a few reviews that put them down for "being in a bad neighborhood" or having a "cheesy" interior. Don't be fooled by these jokers. If you pass up this restaurant, you would be crazy! I find the atmosphere cozy and warm, like being at a friends' house for a meal. The hostess greeted us warmly and conversed with us during our meal, while our server was knowledgeable, friendly and very attentive. We ordered the scallops as an appetizer. It is no exaggeration to say they just melt in your mouth! So buttery and flavorful! Of course we had delicious bread and house-made dipping oil-yum! My husband ordered the Lobster and Crab-Stuffed Ravioli in a cream sauce and was in heaven! I had the best Ahi Tuna in the history of ever with some lobster-filled ravioli in a light broth of mushrooms, grilled spring onions and chili flakes. The tuna itself was fresh and cooked perfectly (mostly rare) and the taste was almost like Asian-Italian fusion. It made me so happy to eat! We also had dessert-Lemon Cream Cake for him and Cannoli for me. The cake was light and moist with a nice crunch on the outside and my cannolis tasted as if there were some cinnamon in the filling, which was very good. Instead of large chips of chocolate, the filling had more of a sort of ground chocolate that just gave it a lovely texture combination. As it was our anniversary, we were given a complimentary limoncello by the owner. In choosing a place to dine in Erie, many times the chains on Peach St win out due to convenience, but if you take the time to drive just a bit farther you will be rewarded! THIS Fine Dining lives in ERIE!

• Visited July 2014
6 Thank mshalf
Nashville, Tennessee
“Another Great Dining Experience at Colao's in Erie, PA”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Every summer, for quite a number of years now, my wife and I have made it a point (i.e., a destination) to have dinner at Colao's Ristorante in Erie, PA, both going and returning from visiting family in upstate New York. We absolutely love it! Our most recent experience at Calao's was nothing short of terrific and confirmed our evaluation of this restaurant as excellent (TripAdvisor 5 stars). I have reviewed this restaurant previously, so this is intended as an update of that evaluation, one which I affirm all the more enthusiastically. Colao's is without a doubt the very best dining venue (and certainly the best Italian restaurant) in Erie, PA. On our most recent visit we ordered the Mozzarella Salad (a delicious version of the classic Insalata Caprese) followed by a main dish consisting of Ahi Tuna over crab-stuffed ravioli, served in a delicious broth with scallions and mushrooms. Our server, Jennifer, was excellent and very knowledgeable of and enthusiastic about Colao's menu, and she made our dinner all the more delightful. The owners stopped by our table to greet us and chat, and Mrs. Calao (Ellen) insisted that we try a new Bread Pudding created by the chef along with a small glass of Crema Limoncello made by her husband (the owner)--Delicious!!! All very much appreciated. One of our favorite restaurants in the northeastern United States.

• Visited July 2014
7 Thank Philip R
Rochester
“What a dud!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Upon entering Colao's, I already made up my mind on this place. The chef was standing at the entrance smoking. This was Unappealing to me to say the least. The service was good. Our waitress told us she was new so she couldn't answer our questions right away but at least she tried. The food was ok but maybe just a step or two up from Olive Garden. You would think an "authentic" Italian restaurant would just include homemade pasta in their dishes but instead you have to pay extra for it. The noisy crowd at the bar (which we were told included the owners themselves) made us opt to skip dessert. What a disappointing and over priced dining experience.

• Visited June 2014
5 Thank Rcook2811
Brownstown Township, Michigan
“Colao's is an Incredible restaurant”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Ahi Tuna is the best I have ever had anywhere. It is so good that I seem to want to order it every time I am there. I am from Michigan and each time I visit Erie I have to come to Colao's for the Ahi Tuna. Though I know the other dishes are equally as good since I have tried what others have ordered, I just can't seem to order anything else.

Visited June 2014