“Locals Love This Place”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Erie, United States
“Locals Love This Place”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

1201 has been a favorite of ours for years. It is so well known among our family as a favorite that a gift certificate to 1201 is a go-to birthday gift. The menu is eclectic, changes with the seasons and never disappoints. The execution is routinely very good. We've had some of the best meals we've ever had in Erie at 1201. Ambiance is a casually hip urban scene. The beer and wine lists are small but high quality. The bar is very good and accommodates my wife's particular requirements. A private dining room downstairs offers a different and exclusive experience for groups of 8 or a little larger. Service can be a little inconsistent but is mostly very good.

Last night I was there with a colleague. We had scallops ceviche were very good and crispy pork belly sushi roll which was out of this world. I had the pork steak (with roasted pepper creamed corn, chorizo and salsa) as my entree and it was moist and flavorful and cooked as I requested to a perfect medium rare. My colleague had a scallop and smoked mussel entree that he reported to be excellent. We came without reservations on a Tuesday night near 8 p.m. and, while the place was busy, were able to be seated without wait. I would recommend reservations later in the week or on the weekend, though.

If you're new to Erie or just visiting, this is a must try restaurant!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Eric P

Fairview, Pennsylvania
“Foodie delight”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Last evening we went to 1201 for the first time. Being experienced gourmet cooks, we don't eat out all that often because we make such great meals at home. We decided to go to 1201 for our 44th wedding anniversary because the place has been recommended by so many people and we love sushi. Both the quality of the food and the presentation were awesome. We haven't had food like this in Erie for a very long time. The care that goes into every dish is very apparent and when it is brought to the table it is perfect. The employees that we observed appeared to have a genuine interest in their customers; they were both friendly and knowledgeable. The offerings on the menu are like no other in this area. This restaurant would definitely appeal to "foodies." If you don't care for trying unusual food combinations, this restaurant may not be at the top of your list.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Roger L
Titusville, PA
“Great place, great food, nice staff.”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had our 6th anniversary dinner here. After talking to a fellow work colleague who lives near Erie, he suggested 1201 Kitchen because he and his wife like it so much. So, my wife and I made the over an hour trip to Erie to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary. I was not let down, made a reservation 2 prior to going. It wasn't too busy but not empty for a Saturday evening. Was asked where we like to sit? In some sun or some shade by the hostess. We sat upstairs in some shade. We started off with drinks my wife had a special drink of the day a peach and pomegranate margarita, she loved it. I'm a beer drinker, I love craft beers and they have the variety. I had a southern tier Gemini, great beer. They have a nice wine list. But the wife and I weren't feeling the wine mood and went with different choices. For an appetizer we had Shrimp Tempura. It was so good. I'm not much into sushi types, but it was awesome. Best I ever had. We then settled for the porterhouse for 2. It's 70 bucks, but man what a design and man was it good, served in a cast iron skillet the sous chef brings it out with the waiter. It was great cooked to a medium level. Great meat and product. It has cherry tomatoes and onions, the meat was already cut from the bone. Just great. For desert we went with the key lime custard which was great too. Forgot the waiters name but he was super nice. Also the hostess which I think might be a manger shook our hands on the way out and thanked us for coming. It's not cheap, so I can't afford to eat there often , but for a special occasion, a great place to go, and if you can afford to eat well, go here you won't be let down.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank TroyandKate
“Another excellent dining experience!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

My fiancee and I are big fans of this place. Ever meal Here has been an outstanding experiance. We prefer the downstairs kitchen bar. The chef and sou chefs take great pride in the preparation and plating of every dish, and its a lot of fun watching them prepare the food. My fiancee started with the grilled scallion and marinated cucumber salad. It was delicious, although the shrimp could have had more flavor. I had the crispy pork belly pancake. It was amazing! Our entrees were Rigatoni and DonBuri. We usually share our meals, but this time each was so good we were content tasting, but enjoying our own to the very end! Our waiter Dennis knew the menu and ingredients well, and was attentive and gracious. Thanks to the entire staff for another great experience!

1 Thank richmonroe50
Erie, Pennsylvania
“NOT a chain restaurant”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Last night we has drinks and dinner at 1201 Kitchen. It was an a wonderful experience. This was not our first time at this restaurant, so we knew what to expect. Upon arriving we were seated in a table that was directly under an AC vent. We asked to be moved and were given a table that was perfect. We had some very fine Martinis as we sat and talked. We let the waiter, Nicholas, know we were in no rush and just wanted to relax. He was attentive but did not hang over us. When it came time to order we selected the crab sushi for an appetizer. I have to say I was disappointed in this. The Nouri was very tough and had to be cut with a knife. It was described as spicy but truly was not. That was the only flaw in an other wise perfect meal. My husband ordered the roasted pepper bisque and it was outstanding. It had a little kick which made it even more interesting. I had the salmon with the carrot slaw and it was delicious. The salmon was wild caught which is always a huge plus. My husband had the scallop and mussels dish which he claimed was excellent. We could not eat another bite but the desserts did look and sound good. It was a very positive, pleasant experience. I just would not recommend the sushi. Nicholas was a polite and attentive waiter. I would definitely request him on our next visit.

• Visited May 2014