“Like staying with a friend, but better.”

Courtyard Erie Ambassador Conference Center
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have stayed in more than a few hotels in the Erie area for mainly business travel. One of my favorites is the the Courtyard By Marriott. Close to everything, and I do mean everything. Pool, exercise room, balcony, hot tubs. Great atmosphere. Always neat and clean. Professional staff.

Room Tip: Tell them what you want. Some rooms have hot tubs, some have balconies. Ask for a room one of the hi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We barely walked through the doors into the lobby and were immediately greeted by the front desk staff. Our room was very nice but I could hear some truck traffic during the night as the hotel is right next to the highway. Although breakfast is not included in a normal stay, we received a complimentary breakfast buffet in the adjoining Safari restaurant (shared with the Hilton Garden Inn next door) because it was a corporate booking.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

The staff is great! The front desk really goes out of its way to make sure that your stay is outstanding. A special thanks to Daryl, Betty, and Casey. We had a great time.
The hotel itself is still quite beautiful but is definitely an older Marriott.

Stayed: July 2014
Michelle E, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Erie Ambassador Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2014

Wow! Thank you so very much for your kind and considerate words about your recent stay at our property. We appreciate your compliments and will see to it that our staff is appropriately rewarded for their hard work and dedication! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here one night in early July 2014. The hotel was busy, but the staff handled everything well. This Courtyard has had the lobby renovated, and it's quite nice. The rooms are another story. While they're very clean and properly maintained, they harken back to another era of Courtyards. There are no power outlets near the beds, for example. The very large flat screen television is placed on top of the cabinet that once held the older TV, so it's very high. We got what the hotel calls a Spa King, which means there's a two-person jetted tub in the bedroom.

The new lobby features a Bistro, but the downside is that the bar closes before (gasp) 10:00 PM. Fortunately I was able to find a small bottle of wine in the Market.

Not bad, but the rooms need to be brought up to the level of the lobby.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Angelina E, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Erie Ambassador Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you so very much for your time in letting us know how your stay with us was. We take every effort to ensure our guests our compleatly satisfied with their stay. You stated how our rooms our a bit out of date in their decore. They are being remodeled in phases over a period of time. As our guests stay with us time and again they will start seeing changes to our rooms. From our brand new beds, to new flat screen TV's, to new curtains/sheers, and lighting. We will continue to add new items in phases, new carpeting, furniture, and wallpaper. We hope you will come back to see us again to experiance our hotel and the very exciting changes and see if you can find whats new next!!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I'll admit it, I am a bit of a hotel snob. I frequently force my coworkers to stay at Marriott as I can usually depend on Marriott for a consistently above average experience. Unfortunately the service at this property was as poor as the sleep I wish I could have gotten.

This hotel has the usual comfortable Marriott bedding and beds, and the cleanliness is up to normal Marriott standards. The staff on the night shift were welcoming, warm, and every inch of our normal experience.

We arrived with very few rooms left and were given a king bed only room. No problem, we just had a rollaway delivered - which was promptly done. The rate quoted to me for the first night was maybe $5 cheaper than the rates I had seen listed on hotels.com, so I imagined it was the rate I enjoyed for being a rewards member.

Our stay was so comfortable that first night that we called the front desk in the morning and asked for an additional night. The service was prompt and excellent. She confirmed that they absolutely had room for an additional night stay and the only mention of rate was that she could keep it at the same rate. Why fantastic! We drove out to Niagara falls and spent the day in New York. We returned to our hotel late in the evening and headed up to our room.

There began the unfortunate stay I wish I had not experienced. Under our door was slipped a note. It informed us of something that the desk neglected to mention. The night before the fourth of July is when they decided to tear out the concrete at this hotel. And whoa did they ever. We woke up unfortunately to the sounds of heavy machinery and jackhammer type noises. There should be rules about causing this kind of noise before 830 am at a hotel. I wish I had known about this before making our reservation, or been advised of this at the time of extending our stay.

Whilst clutching pillows to our heads we received a knock on our door from housekeeping at 8:45 am. Really? Why was that necessary? After a long day out at Niagara, we had set our alarms for 9am and wanted that rest.

We gave up on rest and walked to the hotel next door for breakfast. Oddly enough at this hotel that is where they direct you for the restaurant and breakfast. Breakfast was delicious, and is actually worth the $10/person. They asked if we had a special or coupon, so for the savvy shoppers look online, I am sure you can get a better price than we did, but even if you pay full price it is a good value. The food was plentiful, fresh, and better than IHOP.

So then we walk back to our hotel and I noticed that they had increased my hotel room rate. A slight increase and I would not say a word. My rate was increased by $20/night. I approached the desk staff, Charity, and discovered she was anything but charitable. She refused to acknowledge the bill error and stated that only a manager would be able to do the adjustment and never at any point offered to discuss it with the manager even though it was clear I was not happy with the undisclosed rate increase. I have never in all of my years with Marriott experienced a billing error. Furthermore, I went through the embarrassment of having to discuss the billing error in the front lobby to find the staff frigid and unwilling to help resolve the matter. Not willing to embarrass myself further in a public lobby, I left the hotel.

The front doors were blocked by heavy construction equipment so we had to exit as far from our parked vehicle as possible.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AJDeiber
Tony T, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Erie Ambassador Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with the Courtyard Erie.

You indicated in your response that the construction on your 2nd night was unsatisfactory as well as the desks response to your complaint. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. We apologize that the construction company started their work earlier than expected. Our sidewalk renovation is 75% complete and is scheduled to be complete by July 12th. The entrances are all back open and the brand new sidewalk runs us no risk at anyone potentially hurting themselves out front with the cracks that were there from the harsh winter. As for your billing issue, it was an honest mistake where the new desk hire extended your stay and the system automatically updated the rate where it should have been rather than the discounted rate you recieved in the negotiation process. I have went back to your account and adjusted your rate back to prior nights rate. You will see the reflection on your acount in 3-5 business days. Once again please accept our apolgy and Thanks for your response to help better our service and property.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Based on previous experience with Courtyard we chose this hotel for our 2 nights stay in Erie, PA. I used my CAA membership for a discount.
The room we were assigned was dated. The TV unit I am sure is in service since black and white TV.
Very noisy AC
I had no idea from the rooms descriptions that you could get a jacuzzi room with balcony. Wondering why this is not advertised or at least mentioned on the hotel's website?
Lobby is awesome, employees very polite and courteous.
I started this review considering maybe 4 stars but then I realized that it only deserves 3. The website is completely misleading . On the rooms general information the information is erroneous, and repetitive. Same on the detailed room information.
I.e. For king size bed with whirlpool these are the offerings on the website:
"Bath and Bathroom Features:
Shower
Bathtub with spray jets
Bathtub
Whirlpool
Whirlpool fits 2
Whirlpool in suite / room
Hair dryer"
We had shower and in room whirlpool for 2 . Wondering why all the other were listed?
Same with the "Plug-In High Tech room" listed as available for any room type. I saw that console in other courtyard but not here.
I am now wondering if I wasn't overcharged since I got no bathtub, waited 30 min for the whirlpool to fill up, then the timer for the whirlpool was not functional, had no balcony, and could not plug in my media devices.
As I am writing this I feel like 2 stars is more appropriate.lol.
Will I go again? I don't know.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

You indicated in your response that the room was a bit dated and unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. We strive to make every guest experience perfect and sorry we fell a little short in your eyes. We are currently putting together a plan to gradually improve our hotel rooms condition with new items. We have in the last year replaced all TV's to 42 inch flatscreens, also have been replacing the sheers in rooms. It takes a little time but notice we are working on it. We hope that when visiting back in Erie you would consider giving us another chance. Thanks for your response

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here one night. Upon check in I was offered a suite with a separate living area and kitchen area. I didn't use it since I was only there one night. The lay out of the suite was awkward as you couldn't have the door to the bathroom open and still use the vanity. When opening the door to the vanity area, it blocked someone from coming out of the bedroom. The decor was dated but clean. The couch, which was also a pull out bed, was extremely uncomfortable and you could feel the bed underneath you.

I did go to the hot tub. There seemed to be a sporting event in town and the pool was packed with kids. It was very loud and I couldn't really enjoy the pool. However, this was of no fault of the hotel.

If you are looking for something basic, then this will do. It is conveniently located off the highway and across from restaurants and stores which is helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Robin M

You indicated in your response that the rooms condition was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. We apologize for the less than perfect stay with us. Our team goal is to create great memorable experiences with all of our guests travelling. We are currently putting plans together to update the entire case good in the rooms. As of now we have upgraded to 42 inch flatscreen TV's as well as put brand new Sheers in rooms. The process is rolling and we hope guests understand it takes time. We hope that when travelling back to the Erie area you give us another chance. Thank You