“I really like the place so it pains me to write this review”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We have stayed at this property 3 times now and probably will again. I do like the place so it pains me to give it the review I am about to. But the feedback is needed so that they can continue to make improvements, hopefully. We stayed there twice this past year and the last stay was less than desirable.

Pros: Room was conveniently located to exits and spacious. Hotel is close to shopping and local attractions. Food was good. Friendly Staff. There is a nice open carpeted stairwell for those who wish to take the stairs for exercise instead of the elevators. The fitness room was clean. The pool area and jacuzzi were clean.

Cons: The furniture in the room badly needs replaced. It is uncomfortable to sit on the couch or chair in the living area for any length of time. We were there for a week so there was some downtime at night where it was necessary to use the furniture. The only comfortable place to relax was the bed. The furniture was also pretty dirty and worn (see pictures).

We really struggled with getting towels supplied to the room and had to make several trips to the front desk late at night to obtain ones that were taken from the room by housekeeping and not replaced. The desk clerk at night seemed very frustrated when we approached them for the 3rd night in a row to get towels that were not restocked in our room. We're assuming that housekeeping really only makes the bed and that's it.

We were there for a week and no attempt was made by them to clean anything. I used a towel the one night to go over the bathroom floor as it clearly wasn't cleaned all week. You will be able to see by the picture what the towel looked like after using it on the floor. Really really dirty. There was also something on the door to our room that was there when we stayed in June and still there when we stayed in September. It looked like peanut butter (see picture) but I wasn't going to test that out. I just couldn't believe that it was still there after 3 months. (we stayed in the same room both stays). Maybe we just got unlucky that we stayed in the same room both times and the other rooms are much cleaner. This one was not.

Overall the hotel is nice and we really do like staying there, despite what I pointed out in this review. The pool area is clean but again, no towels were supplied or stocked. The breakfast supplied was good. Our room was quiet.

For the most part we enjoyed our stay and will go back probably, but they really need to address the uncomfortable and stained furniture and do some sort of quality check to make sure the rooms are being supplied as they are supposed to with towels. They also take the kitchen dish towel on the first night there and never replace it the whole stay. We encountered that during both of our stays.

It would make it much easier and less stressful on the front desk person to not have to run around and supply towels for guests at night. That job is housekeeping's, but the responsibility is falling on the desk clerk. We noticed several other guests standing there asking for the same thing, towels, on a nightly basis. If I were the front desk clerk, I would be bringing that to Management's attention that they are performing duties that should have been done by the proper staff when they "clean the rooms". On a side note though, any housekeeping staff that we encountered during our stay were all very very nice and accommodating!

If those items were fixed, I would be able to give this hotel a top notch rating, which is what I prefer. I just cannot do that after our last stay and what we encountered. I am hoping that management looks at the review and pictures supplied and works on getting newer, more comfortable furniture in the rooms, and works on some sort of quality check of the rooms to make sure they are cleaned and stocked properly.

They do give you a sheet in the room to fill out when you check in, for things you might want or things that need addressed but after our first night there, we were never given one again and we stayed for a week. The last thing anyone wants to do, or should have to do, late at night and after a long day either out shopping, at the casino, or at Presque Isle is to go back to your room, only to find out that you have to make a trip to the front desk to get towels for your shower, etc.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FloridaBound23
ErieHomewood, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel again during your recent stay and we apologize for the housekeeping problems you encountered. Unclean rooms and poor service are not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will make every effort to ensure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards. However, I would like to apologize for the other issues as well. We truly appreciate your business and loyalty and we hope you will give us another chance if you visit this area in the future.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Beautiful & very comfortable Hotel. Staff are all very pleasant and helpful.
Super comfy beds, great sitting area and so great having ice maker in room, full refridgerator, dishwasher, all the comforts of home. Great Breakfast - will definately return again to this hotel - as we have stayed at this location over the past 3 yrs.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
ErieHomewood, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Thank you for the kind words about our staff and hotel. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

I stayed at the Homewood Suites by Hilton in Erie for one night while on business. They are a suite only hotel and I did not have a reservation. I received a $109 walk up rate which I thought was reasonable. The hotel is in the corner of the mall parking lot with a cluster of other hotels. It seems like that keeps things pretty competitive. The traffic in the area is a pain and you have to weave your way through the mall to get to the hotel.

The hotel itself looks in good shape and they were doing some painting in the lobby when I was checking in. There is free Wi-Fi everywhere, including the rooms. I used it for both my work laptop via VPN and my iPad. There seemed to be plenty of parking.

There is a sitting area with fireplace and large TV. This is also where they have their free meals. They have a small workout room and a pool with a spa. I went swimming and sat in the spa for while right before bed and it was a great way to relax. I would have liked the spa a couple of degrees warmer.

The free dinner while I was there consisted of beef stew, biscuits, peas and salad. There was also free beer, wine, and a couple of juices. The stew really was not that good but I ate some extra salad and had an extra biscuit with jelly. I also took a beer back to my room with me. They take the food away at 7:30. There is also a free breakfast starting at 6:30 AM. There was juice, coffee, steamed omelets, bacon, toast, French toast, waffles, and cereal. Nothing was great but it was nice to have a quick bite before I headed off to work.

My room was on the third floor. It was clean and comfortable. The bedroom was a separate room with a door. The sink is outside the shower / toilet area so two people can be getting ready at the same time. There is a closet inside the bedroom and another by the entrance door. Both the living room and bedroom had a larger flat screen TV. The living room had a chair and couch. There was also a Desk, kitchen table with two chairs, and a coffee table.

The kitchen had a free packet of coffee and popcorn with packet of sugar. There was a microwave, cook top, dishwasher, and refrigerator in the kitchen with the basic utensils, plates and pots and pans. I was in room 313 and two windows in the living room and two windows in the bedroom opened.

My bill was slid under my door in the middle of the night so there was no need to check out. I will stay here again when I am in the area on future business trips.

Room Tip: The door in back is right by the elevators and is quickest way in and out.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 22 October 2012

I reserved a room and for some reason they game me a smoking room. Rooms are bigm comfortable. equiped and nice, but smoking rooms give you a headcahe, even if you smoke. They ofered to get me something to reduce the smell and never did in 3 days I stayed. BF is above the average for a hotel like that and the afternoon snack is a good idea to keep cusomters happy since you can save some money on dinner.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for the non-smoking room if you don't smoke.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MexKaz
ErieHomewood, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the non smoling room that you reserved. It is our goal to provide only the highest level of customer service to all of our guests. We regret that we have fallen short of that goal. We are unique with our hot breakfast buffet daily and our evening "Welcome Home" reception that is a complimentary meal Monday- Thursday. If you return to our area we hope you will condsider staying with us again!

Reviewed 12 October 2012

This was our first time saying in a suite hotel. Living area was spacious. Kitchen even had a full size refrigerator and dishwasher. Breakfast has different items each day. Only downsides were no automatic doors and no ice machines on the floors. You can get ice if someone is in the kitchen area. Driveway is hard to find, look for road that runs beside Dick's. Back entrance by gazebo will put you by the elevators. Staff was very friendly and even found a housekeeper so that we could check in early.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 27 September 2012

I choose this hotel because it was a Hilton Property that was located close to my meeting the next morning. The hotel was very clean, new feeling and nice, as you expect from a Homewood Suites. I only had a couple of things that they could do better...first, they do not have automatic doors, always a pain when carrying luggage, and the workout room hours start at 8 AM. Really? I have to be at work at 8AM. Otherwise my stay was nice and the management was helpful in getting me the last room that night due to an error made by me when booking.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
ErieHomewood, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning your recent stay at the Erie Homewood Suites. I realize how frustrating the doors can be- tryng to get the luggage in and out. Keeping a healthy routine is very important while traveling and I apologize that you were misinformed about the hours. The fitness area is open from 6am-midnight. Thank you for the comments about the cleanliness of our property. Next time you are in the Erie, PA area- we hope to see you back!

Reviewed 15 September 2012

I have been a Hilton Honors Member for 12 years. We chose to stay at the Homewood Suites in Erie based on our positive experiences here in the past and the reputation of Hilton Hotel properties. We stayed at this hotel the first weekend in August. We reserved a one bedroom suite for three nights. The first night we used Hilton Honors points to pay for the room. The second and third nights we used a credit card to pay for the room.
When we checked in we were given a studio for the first night, even though we had reserved a one-bedroom suite. I explained to the front desk person checking us in that there was a mistake, this was not what we reserved, however, she was unwilling to put us in the one-bedroom suite that we had reserved that night. We were put in an accessable studio room on the first floor near the expressway and we did not get a good night's sleep due to the noise from the traffic. (No, we did not reserve an accessable room.)
The second and third nights (the nights we were paying for the room, rather than using Hilton Honors points) we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite on the fourth floor in a quiet location.
What upset me the most is that we were punished for using Hilton Honors points, which are supposed to be a reward. What is the point of being a Hilton Honors member if you are put in the worst room of the hotel when you use your Hilton Honors points?
The other thing that upset us is we had to move to a different room for the second and third nights with absolutely no help from the hotel staff.
After the weekend was over and we returned home I received a survey from Hilton Honors telling us there was a money back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your stay, you get your money or points back. No one at the Homewood Suites in Erie ever mentioned this to us or did anything to accommodate us in spite of the fact our reservation was not honored.
My husband is a Marriott Rewards member. We could have stayed next door at a Marriott property for three nights paying less money than what we spent on the two nights we paid for at the Homewood Suites. Marriott has never treated us this way.
So bottom line, would we recommend the Homewood Suites in Erie to a friend or would we ever stay here again? Based on our experience and being treated the way we were, I would have to say absolutely not!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the fourth floor away from the highway. Don't use Hilton Honors Points becaus...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LM77
ErieHomewood, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Erie, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I always appreciate hearing from our guests - including areas of opportunity. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your reserved room type. Our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected, however at times we do not have the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and I will reach out to you personally to make this matter right. Sincerely,

Lisa Chilson