“Great for a big family!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township)
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Erie
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great for a big family!”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We have four children, ages 10-14, and it's always a challenge to find reasonably priced, adequate accommodations. We were pleasantly surprised by our stay here. The room has two queen beds and two sofa beds, an efficiency kitchen, and plenty of room for people (and their belongings!) to spread out. It was only a three-minute walk to the Splash Lagoon water park through warm hotel hallways--perfect! Only a few negatives: a whirlpool tub sits in the corner of the living room area, which seemed a bit odd, and the bathroom was not entirely clean when we arrived, though housekeeping came right away when we phoned and management was very apologetic. The space was really dimly lit, and the gas fireplace wasn't functioning, though we didn't call about this. Overall, these details didn't matter--we had the space we needed, the convenient location we'd hoped for, and a sweet time away with our family.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 004_Rosie
Linda H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township), responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Rosie,

We appreciate your comments, however we are saddened that all did not meet your expections, I have forwarded your comments to our housekeeping team for them to improve in that area. We hope that when you are in Erie, PA that you choose to stay with us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My wife and 4 year old stayed one night for splash lagoon. We got the kids suite. My boy absolutely loved his area in the room. He loved the face he had his own TV, and DVD player. He loved the whirlpool tub as well. We are not very picky people since all we need is a place to sleep since we don't really enjoy hanging out in a hotel room. It was a bit dirty but not much to complain about. We got their fairly early and they let us check in early which was fantastic. We got to change and enjoy the water park right away. The kid suite was very nice since the adults could have some alone time. I would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bufbandit
Dear Bufbandit,

It was a pleasure to have your family here at the Holiday Inn Express in Erie, PA. We are glad you had a great time, however are disappointed the room was not as clean as it could have been, I have expressed your concerns with the housekeeping team for them to improve in that area, and again we appreciate your comments.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This was the second time I stayed at this Holiday Inn, which is attached to the Splash lagoon water park. My kids like the "kids Suite"- which is kind of a room within a room. It has a bunkbed, a desk, dresser and TV all in a private space in the room (separated by a wall and curtain). The room was also equipped with mini kitchen (sink, microwave, fridge) and large jacuzzi tub. The tub is big enough for "large" adults , or for more than one child to get a bath at once.
The hotel also offers the Holiday Inn express breakfast. I would like to have been able to get coffee or tea at other hours of the day, though.
We had a few issues with our room in terms of cleanliness and general attention to detail by housekeeping. The next time we go to Splash Lagoon we will probably try one of the other attached hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jwsmith66
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township), responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear jwsmith66,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize for the shortfalls you have encountered. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Barrie, Ontario
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last April when traveling with my parents. The hotel is in a good location for shopping and restaurants. The breakfast is good, a Holiday Inn Express standard. However I had the worst sleep ever. I booked a room with a King bed and pull out sofa, because I thought it would be nice for my parents to have a King bed, and I didn't think a sofa bed would be so bad. It was! If this hotel is looking to do renovations or get new furniture within the near future, please make getting new pull-outs a top priority. Other than that, it was a fine hotel.

Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Colleen W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township), responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear mrswhale,

Thank you for the sharing your experience with us. I’m very pleased to hear that you appreciated our convenient location and enjoyed breakfast. We set out to make every one of guests as comfortable as possible. It is unfortunate the conditions of the sofa bed prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and suggestion, and we hope you'll give us another chance next time you're in town.

Zelyn N
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2013

we stop here on all our trips home from visiting family in the United States. It located close to some great restaurants and to I90. The staff is always friendly and helpful. I found it interesting because we had a suite and each TV had a different set of channels so it was a little difficult finding programs even with the TV station list from the front desk. It matched one of the TVs but not the other one.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Linda H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township), responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear 2011taurus,
Thank you for your review we know there are alot of choices in this area and we are glad you chose us, we are sorry about the inconvience of the TV's as we were at that time changing over to HD service and a few TV's were missed, rest assured we have them all fixed and we look forward to your next visit with us.
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I recently completed a 1 night stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Erie, PA while in town on business. This HI Express is located right off of the highway and is close to a number of major restaurants and businesses, so the location is quite good.
I think my overall impression of the hotel is split between good points and bad points. On the positive side, my check-in went very smooth (although I was not recognized as a Platinum IHG Rewards member), and I was given my room key quickly. It should be noted that there are no king-size bed rooms at this property. Every room is a little mini-suite. Mine had a separate bedroom with two beds and a mini kitchen which I didn't use. Overall the room was quite spacious. My issues with the room was that there was a pronounced odor in the room. It is nothing particular, just the smell of an old hotel room that might have once been a smoking room. It smelled stale, and moldy, and kind of gross. Also, the furnishings have seen better days with lots of chips, cracks, and stains.
On the positive side, I found the bed and pillow quite comfortable, and the free wi-fi was very fast and easy to use.
In the morning, I think my biggest disappointment was the free breakfast. I've stayed at tons of HI Express hotels so I knew what to expect, but this hotel was lacking the basics. There was no toast or English muffins. No yogurt or oatmeal. Just very suspicious eggs and sausage, and some cheap sugary cereals. I was terribly dissapointed and wound up walking two doors down to Bob Evans for a quick breakfast.
I've stayed at other hotels in this section of Erie before, and for the money, I feel this HI Express just doesn't stack up against the Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn when staying for business. If you're there with a family for the water park, then this might be a great stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ChewInRI
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Erie (Summit Township), responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Rusttribe,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with our location. Please accept our apologies that we fell short of your expectations with the room cleanliness and the breakfast. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to make your next stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Naperville
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This HIE is one of the better HIE motels we've stayed in. It was clean, quiet, and pretty busy. There is an indoor water park connected to the property, which draws families .. especially on weekends. The breakfast is, as in other HIE properties, free and of good quality, but it just like the breakfasts at other HIEs. If you frequently use this motel chain, the breakfasts can get a little boring, but it is consistent.

This location also has a pool and excercise room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear HarlanD505,

We are happy that you enjoyed our hotel during your travels, and appreciate your comments, I have passed this review on to my management team and staff. Thanks again.